how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

YellowHammer

join:2004-12-09
United State

Exceeded my 20GB limit

I have two 20GB sticks from Millenicom. This month, my kids pushed one stick to 22GB, and the other to 18GB. My kids are SO grounded.

I know that Verizon will reset the usage tonight. Do you think I will have any issues with Millenicom or VZW wanting to drop or throttle us?

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
doubtful. that's not an extreme overage.

said by YellowHammer:

I have two 20GB sticks from Millenicom. This month, my kids pushed one stick to 22GB, and the other to 18GB. My kids are SO grounded.

I know that Verizon will reset the usage tonight. Do you think I will have any issues with Millenicom or VZW wanting to drop or throttle us?

Google123

@suddenlink.net
I have their 20GB mifi plan and hit 28GB last month. Been streaming netflix a lot lately. LOL. Didn't get any emails or warning or anything like that. I just logged into the Millenicom Members website and it shows 24.95 GB as of 08/26/2013 for my account.

Google123

@suddenlink.net
Also, my Verizon Wireless account shows Data 10.720GB of Unlimited Estimate as of 09/06/2013 at 5:33 PM for this month. I'm only 6 days in!!! Roh roh.

Wartrace

join:2009-03-07
Wartrace, TN
Do you have the Netflix video quality set at "good"? The "good" quality uses about 300mb per hour. If you DO have it set to good you have watched 35 hours of netflix +/- in six days or almost six hours a day! You either need to cut back or move to the Sprint 4g plan if you can get it.

Vix

join:2001-12-30
Altamonte Springs, FL
reply to YellowHammer
It appears that Millenicom has decided to take a more agressive stance in dealing with potential datage overages.

I currently have two 20GB accounts to cover my montly usage, which are billed together. I use the data usage stats on my MBR95 to warn me when I approach 20GB, then switch USB sticks and work off the second stick for the remainder of the month. So far everything has worked fine. Tonight I received the following email from Millenicom:

Dear (my name),

Please note, you are closely approaching the 20GB data usage allowance on your 20GB Millenicom account.

Your usage is 7.60GB as of 9/9/2013.

To monitor your usage you may either submit a ticket to "usage" from your Millenicom Members Account at www.millenicom.com or simply email usage@millenicom.com.

The usage cycle resets on the 1st of each month, please keep internet activity to a minimum until then.

Thank you very much for your prompt attention to this urgent matter.

I'm pretty annoyed that they've resorted to sending me this warning email for using 7 GB of my data allotment 1/3 of the way through the month. Even if they were only taking one 20GB plan into consideration, the variance doesn't seem like it would be extreme enough to warrant such threatening communications to paying customers.

Is this the new face of Millenicom?

criggs

join:2000-07-14
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom

2 edits
said by Vix:

you are closely approaching the 20GB data usage allowance on your 20GB Millenicom account. Your usage is 7.60GB as of 9/9/2013...The usage cycle resets on the 1st of each month, please keep internet activity to a minimum until then.

I agree; this is absurd. You are less than one-half through your month's allotment. To be precise, you have used 38% of your data allotment, less than half. If you go over 20 gigs, they have every right to complain; until then, it's none of their business.

Of course, they could be figuring it differently. The cycle starts on the 1st; their records reflect your usage through the 9th, nine days of usage. That means that you've downloaded/uploaded an average of .84 gigs a day. If you continue that rate of usage throughout the rest of the monthly cycle, your final figure will be
25.33 gigs, which is obviously more than your 20 gig cap. I suspect it's on that basis that you got this note. Of course, it would never actually have happened because you would have switched to your second stick/account before going over the 20 gig limit. But they don't know that. I suspect what they've instituted is an extrapolation system which triggers warning emails.

However the phrase "keep internet activity to a minimum" is outrageous. It's none of their damn business what sort of internet activity you're doing as long as it doesn't go over 20 gigs in the month.

It actually might be a hopeful sign, that they're trying to warn people before they go over so they don't have to cut customers on the one hand or charge them overages on the other. Note Millenicom's terms of service in this regard, posted at »millenicom.com/terms/ :

"Millenicom reserves the right to suspend an account if the subscriber goes over their usage cap regardless of the remaining days left in the billing cycle. Service will resume at the beginning of the new month. Repeated high usage will result in account termination."

So this could be their way of trying to avoid either suspending accounts or terminating accounts. If you call to complain, for example, about the phrase "keep internet activity to a minimum," they will probably come back at you with something like "we're doing this to make you aware of the situation and to give you a chance to protect your account."

One way to fix this might be for them to modify their system for those people like you with multiple accounts. In your case, your data cap is effectively 40 gigs instead of 20 gigs because of the two accounts. So if you're heading for a month with 25.33 gigs of use, that's clearly not a problem. They should recalculate the definition of problem daily usage in your case from .67 gigs daily to 1.33 gigs daily.

Also it might help if they were more specific than just telling you to keep "activity to a minimum." Say, by the ninth day you had used up 38% of your 40 gig allotment. In that case, you had 24.8 gigs left and 21 days left of the month's cycle, this being September. In order not to go over that 24.8 gig allotment, you need to have an average daily use of no more than 1.18 gigs a day. So the message should have read "keep daily internet activity at or under 1.18 gigs a day." If they would make those two changes, then I think the message could arguably be more helpful than harassing.

Now let's suppose you did that; let's suppose that at some point it became apparent that at your current rate of usage you would not exceed your data cap, that you had corrected the temporary overuse problem. At that point, it would be neat if they were to send you a followup email congratulating you for having corrected the overuse problem, and informing you that you no longer had to limit your usage to less than normal usage.

It might also have been nice for them to send everyone a preparatory email at the start of the month informing subscribers that they were instituting this system. That way, when the first warning emails were sent out, it wouldn't have come as such a rude shock, and wouldn't have come across as somewhat uncalled-for and high-handed.

said by Vix:

Is this the new face of Millenicom?

Well, I suspect yes and no. I can say that as a Millenicom user for about a year, on their BYOD Sprint plan, I never received any message like this at all, ever. The only time I did go over I realized it before they did and I immediately called them about it so they would hear it from me first, figuring they might go easier on me if I didn't try to hide it. I was right; they didn't do a thing to my connection, and just told me it was a one-time thing in my history and they weren't worried as long as it wasn't a habit.

However my theory is that this may be a reaction on Millenicom's part to pressure from Verizon Wireless. In other words, this isn't happening due to some policy changes at Millenicom; this is due to some policy changes at Verizon Wireless which Millenicom is reflecting.

It will be interesting to see whether any Millenicom subscribers on one of the Sprint plans also get an email like this.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Metrocast Commun..
I am curios Criggs, as you live in NYC, why your broadband options are not better. I have a son who lives up near Columbia University and he says free WiFi is everywhere. What seems to be your problem?
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

criggs

New York, NY
WiFi in my area is wretched; I'm in midtown Manhattan, zip 10022. Basically the only option for a mobile user like me is Verizon Wireless, which is capped far too low for my usage, and Sprint. That's about it for me.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by criggs:

WiFi in my area is wretched; I'm in midtown Manhattan, zip 10022. Basically the only option for a mobile user like me is Verizon Wireless, which is capped far too low for my usage, and Sprint. That's about it for me.

If you live in midtown Manhattan don't you have easy access to Cable and FiOS?

criggs

New York, NY
Yes, but that doesn't serve my needs. My use of my computer is less than 70% at home and more than 30% on the road, and I can't afford both a wireless provider and a home provider. Hence the need for a robust wireless Internet plan.