Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MrPatryk

join:2003-11-12
Warren, NJ

[offers] reseller hosting

hello
I have right now small 9 websites (wordpress) with 1and1.
Looking for someone local (NJ) to host them and also I am looking to add some more small website in coming months ... looking for someone small and cheap with cheap domain names (.com under $10/year).

Thanks

removed
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX
kudos:40
Why the NJ requirement? You will find tons of reputable hosts if you drop that part of the requirement.
--
irc.removed.us - #dslr

MrPatryk

join:2003-11-12
Warren, NJ
reply to MrPatryk
well just trying to support local business ... but I guess it doesn't have to be from NJ ..
Also at home I have FIOS 150/75M ... is it hard to host websites if I get a server? where is the cheapest place to buy domains ?

removed
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX
kudos:40
A reseller account from a reputable webhost can be had for about $20-35/month. At that price, hosting your own server probably isn't worth it as far as saving money is concerned. I would recommend reading some reviews and picking out a reseller web host based on that.
--
irc.removed.us - #dslr

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2
reply to MrPatryk
Hostgator's "baby" plan runs between $6 to $8 a month, depending on how you pay. (monthly, yearly, 3 years, etc) That plan allows for unlimited domains all on one account, though they are all run through the same admin panel. The advantage being there are no limits on bandwidth or storage space.
--
Intel i7-2600k /ASRock P67 Extreme4 /4x 4Gb G.Skill /2x Intel 510 series 250Gb SSD /3x WD20EADS 2TB /2x PNY GTX 260 /Silverstone 850W /Custom water cooler /Antec Twelve-Hundred

Defiance82
Computer Elite
Premium
join:2002-09-11
Burlington, WI
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to MrPatryk
HostGator is a joke and restricts you in certain parts. They have inode usage restrictions and wouldn't be your best bet. There are other more reliable hosts out there that can be had. Some even provide phone support and will transfer your sites for free.

stray

join:2000-01-16
Warren, NJ
reply to MrPatryk
You "could" run a server at home - either you'd need a static IP for your FIOS or a dynamic IP service (like dyn.com). All that said, maintaining a home server can be a hassle: for reliability you would need long term battery backup/generator for your server, router, and ONT (my power was out for 10 days during Sandy...how long was yours out?), you need to be vigilant about keeping your server software, firewall, etc... up to date, be prepared to handle DDOS attacks, and there are many other issues.

If you're really eager to test the waters with your own server, an inexpensive approach would be to get a VPS. You could run a dozen small WP sites on a 1024mb Nginx based VPS server. Suggest you hang out on »www.lowendbox.com/ for a while. You'll find plenty of deals for $5-$10/mo. The community on their forum (lowendtalk) is sometimes a bit harsh, but they definitely will guide you towards reliable providers.

Hostgator used to be pretty good for small website hosting... since they were bought out by the Endurance group and moved to the new datacenter in Provo, things have slipped, but Endurance also bought a number of large hosting providers; you'd have to be careful not to sign up with any of them, as they use the same infrastructure and support that Hostgator does.

All that said: with your small number of websites, you won't run up against the inode limits at Hostgator, you will find their control panel (cPanel) much nicer that 1&1's homebrew control panel, they do have phone support (certainly better than 1&1, but not great), and automatically do backups (unless you exceed 100,000 files.) Defiance82 may well be right about there being more reliable hosts, it would be helpful to actually suggest some that are in the Hostgator price range.

FWIW, I manage quite a few Hostgator accounts (as well as other hosting services) for my clients, along with VPS servers at Iniz, IPXCore, and Linode. My comments and suggestions reflect my experiences with these and with FIOS in Warren.
--
V-Rtifacts - When Virtual Reality Was More Than Virtual