uniqs

SHY
0x27
Premium Member
join:2010-06-21

SHY

Premium Member

Top Level Toolbar

Is it possible to add back a Fav Forums button on the top level next to the others ( forums, hey mods, etc)?

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28

justin

Mod

the toolbar is configurable, you can add whatever you want just use the + image on the page you want to add.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to SHY

Premium Member

to SHY

On the minibar, the button bar below it, or the tab bar below that ?

(Assuming Toolbar at top and horizontal look/feel)

I have learned how to add to the minibar, but can the others be modded too ?

SHY
0x27
Premium Member

SHY

Premium Member

You lost me at the + image part Justin

Do you have a For Dummies version for me?

Dave, the tab bar under the "Your Links"

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

I think you guys are talking about 2 different things, and that Justin figured that you meant the Minibar.

EDIT : Or it could have been that he was offering that as a workaround.

But you still have to FIND the page first, before you can click the green (+) icon to add the page to the Minibar.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Click for full size

Does THIS tab have anything to do with it, and am I seeng what I SHOULD see there ?

The description seems odd.

SHY
0x27
Premium Member

SHY

Premium Member

Not the minibar. Before he changed the site, there was a tab for favorite forums alongside the ones for Hey Mods, Forums, Hot Topics and Gallery. It was a very convenient place to have the tab and I'm wondering if it could be put back.....

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

I seem to recall that too, though I didn't use it much.

But if these areas CAN/COULD be configured for what we want on tabs or buttons, that might be useful in general, as well as for what you asked specifically.
Davesnothere

1 edit

Davesnothere to SHY

Premium Member

to SHY
Click for full size
OLD
Click for full size
NEW
said by SHY:

....Before he changed the site, there was a tab for Favorite Forums alongside the ones for Hey Mods, Forums, Hot Topics and Gallery.

It was a very convenient place to have the tab and I'm wondering if it could be put back.....

And it looked like THIS ? (see top pic)

Rather than current way ? (bottom pic)

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos to SHY

Numquam oblitus

to SHY
I think that may have been an inadvertent change, with the addition of the 'hey mod' tab.
In fact, looking at it further, I'd say that the 'all forums' tab should really be 'my forums'- since 'all forums' is already available in the bar above.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

1 recommendation

urbanriot to SHY

Premium Member

to SHY
said by SHY:

Is it possible to add back a Fav Forums button on the top level next to the others ( forums, hey mods, etc)?

I came here to post about that very thing...

Every few days something changes I just recently lost whatever I clicked on to access my favorite forums... Once in a while I see it randomly but I have to click on a million things to find it...

Edit: Yea, I found it... extra clicks now. Your Links then "Forums".

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by urbanriot:

....Yea, I found it... extra clicks now....

anonome
@verizon.net

anonome to urbanriot

Anon

to urbanriot
That's what the minibar is for:
»[request] persistent 'your links'

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

said by SHY:

I came here to post about that very thing....

Is THIS the page you want ?

»/forums/fav

It turns out that it is ALSO on the Minibar - always was, IIRC.

It's the folder icon.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

justin to SHY

Mod

to SHY
said by SHY:

Switch to vertical navigation all your issues are solved. Or, use the minibar, which is there to allow links you want to be present all the time.

The horizontal navigation can only show one "open" menu at a time, the "Forums" sub-menu is triggered by being in a "Forum", so you cannot see the "Your Links" list of options open.

In vertical navigation, you can see both. Also, if you use the minibar, you will find it comes pre-set with a fav forums link. Did you turn it "off" ?

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

That's TWO of the now-gone tabs accounted for, in Minibar icons.

The other of the two was being sought here (and BTW is the Star icon) :

»OT: How do I see "My Post?"

Fortunately, MY Minibar is ON.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to justin

Premium Member

to justin
said by justin:

Switch to vertical navigation all your issues are solved....

....The horizontal navigation can only show one "open" menu at a time, the "Forums" sub-menu is triggered by being in a "Forum", so you cannot see the "Your Links" list of options open.

In vertical navigation, you can see both....

I am currently on horizontal navigation, but was on vertical for several days recently, and had not fully figured out what was happening there.

Now, armed with your explanation, I will try vertical nav again.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Adding a 'Navigation Style' Minibar Icon

BTW, for anyone who wishes to add a direct way to the Navigation Style dialogue to their Minibar, go HERE :

»/prefs/style

And then click the Green (+) icon of your Minibar.

Don't forget to refresh your page afterwards, if you do not see that the icon has been added.

SHY
0x27
Premium Member

SHY to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere

Re: Top Level Toolbar

said by Davesnothere:

said by SHY:

....Before he changed the site, there was a tab for Favorite Forums alongside the ones for Hey Mods, Forums, Hot Topics and Gallery.

It was a very convenient place to have the tab and I'm wondering if it could be put back.....

And it looked like THIS ? (see top pic)

Rather than current way ? (bottom pic)

Yes.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

Is THIS the page you want ?

»/forums/fav

It turns out that it is ALSO on the Minibar - always was, IIRC.

It's the folder icon.

Yea, that's the page I want but the link is missing. It was previously inline with the other links that are missing as well. So we now have some links but... not useful links.

Previously 'your links' were in an intuitive spot... now there are less useful things in their place.

I know about the mini-bar, it was mentioned in another thread but I'm not a fan...

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

justin

Mod

I think there are enough options:

minibar on and at top + horizontal navigation
minibar on and at left + horizontal navigation
minibar on and at right + horizontal navigation
minibar off + horizontal navigation
minibar off + vertical navigation
larger minibar on and at top + vertical navigation
larger minibar on and at left + vertical navigation
larger minibar on and at right + vertical navigation
larger minibar on and at top + horizontal navigation
larger minibar on and at left + horizontal navigation
larger minibar on and at right + horizontal navigation
larger minibar off + horizontal navigation
larger minibar off + vertical navigation
larger minibar on and at top + vertical navigation
larger minibar on and at left + vertical navigation
larger minibar on and at right + vertical navigation

And of course the minibar is selectable: you can decide what icons it contains, the order, and so on.

Plus your browser or OS has options for links you frequently use:
put them on your bookmark bar..
put them in your bookmark menu..
drag them to your desktop or launcher or whatever..
bind them to a keyboard button..

SHY
0x27
Premium Member

1 recommendation

SHY

Premium Member

Why can't you just put back the Fav Forums button where it was? It was so convenient and easy.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod

justin

Mod

Sometimes you just gotta retrain your fingers or get used to something new that also gives you one click access.

After a short amount of time it'll feel like whatever it was was always there.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot to SHY

Premium Member

to SHY
said by SHY:

Why can't you just put back the Fav Forums button where it was? It was so convenient and easy.

Since the mini-bar is cumbersome on my monitor I've changed my default site link to »/forums/fav as suggested.

It now means an extra click in my morning routine and a few extra clicks here and there but hopefully the post history link stays where it is which will make it easier.

After Windows 8, I've learned to live with change regardless of how everyone feels about it!

justin
..needs sleep
Mod

justin

Mod

can you elaborate as to why the minibar is cumbersome on your monitor? perhaps a full screen shot might help me understand.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by justin:

can you elaborate as to why the minibar is cumbersome on your monitor? perhaps a full screen shot might help me understand.

On a higher resolution display, something like 2560 x 1440, there isn't much of a difference between 'large' and 'larger' concerning the icon size.

However some of us high-definition display folks like to turn up the DPI and/or increase the font size of our web browsing, so clicking on 'Posts' or 'Forums' is far more inviting than these little icons.

It's possible if the mini-bar had accompanying text or simply could be text instead of icons it might be as useful as the line of links that I assume you're going to fully remove soon...

Edit: Weird... posts and forums just came back while I was trying to learn new ways to do old things!

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by urbanriot:

....Edit: Weird... posts and forums just came back while I was trying to learn new ways to do old things!

I think that something ELSE happened, and what you observed was only a side-effect.

What I noticed is that the top row button called 'Forums' was the default activated button before Monday.

Sometime Monday evening, AFTER several of us wondered where some of the 2nd row buttons went, you/I/we noticed that they are back ?

Yes and No.

They now seem to be part of the second row subgroup for another top row button called 'Your Links', which also now seems to have become the default highlighted button (and second row subgroup) of the top bar, rather than the past button called 'Forums'.

That does strike me as a better grouping, and yes, it works for me in IE8, regardless of whether I have the Navigation set to Hor or Vert.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

I think that something ELSE happened, and what you observed was only a side-effect.

What happened is exactly what's posted in screenshots above and now I have everything back to the way that's preferred and makes sense...

SHY
0x27
Premium Member

SHY

Premium Member

All I know is that the lower toolbar is now back, and that the forum button now brings you to your favorite forums page. I'm all happy again. Thanks Justin if you did that.....
Expand your moderator at work