how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ivanho

join:2013-09-02
Burlington, VT

Warning: comcastspecials dot com asks for your SSN and DOB

In my search for more information about this shady website, I came across a post in this forum titled "is comcastspecial legit or a scam?".

Well, I almost fell into their trap: Their website looks very much like comcast's, (except that it isn't). I didn't notice the discrepancy in the URL and called them up. I was well into the registration process, providing them my name, address, etc. when their rep asked for my social security number and date of birth...

Sounds to me like phishing.

(needless to say that I did not provide those details)

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2

Not a new concern. See:

»is comcastspecial.com legit or a scam?

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ivanho

Legit or scam? No clue but we do know that when ordering anything online not many companies is going to be sending out 150 dollars worth of supplys without some verification in place. Fiwiw , I think its legit since when i put in my address it knows what services i have.

ivanho

Burlington, VT

1 recommendation

said by rody_44:

when ordering anything online not many companies is going to be sending out 150 dollars worth of supplys without some verification in place

No supplies were involved (existing installation, only activation). Some verification perfectly understandable, not SSN though. Except for the IRS and very few types of financial institutions, you should never give your SSN to anyone (unless you want to gamble with identity theft).

said by rody_44:

Fiwiw , I think its legit since when i put in my address it knows what services i have.

The most successful scammers are those who look and act most believably.

See: »www.ripoffreport.com/r/Bridgevin···t-967089

jagged

join:2003-07-01
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to ivanho

they are a Comcast re-seller

of course they are going to ask for your SSN
Comcast will not consider you for service unless you provide an SSN and the reseller needs to have that since they're entering your info in Comcast's systems.

halfempty

join:2001-04-28
Miami, FL
reply to ivanho

When I signed up for Comcast I called them directly so I knew that I was indeed talking to Comcast. Near the end they asked for my SSN, I told them I was not comfortable giving them that information. They gave me the choice, give them the SSN so they could run a credit check, or not run the credit check and put down a large deposit.

Furrever Fur
Premium
join:2012-02-20
united state
reply to ivanho

Be careful when calling Comcast, too. Recently had a CAE "demand" (!!!) my full SSN to verify me. Far too much ID theft occurring these days.

WB3FFV

join:2001-12-11
Abingdon, MD
reply to ivanho

Nobody should need your SSN to sell you service, wow that is about crazy. I currently do about 10+K monthly with Comcast, and I have never given them my SSN, nor would I as like was mentioned above identity theft is a real issue now days. Our local school system tries that, we refuse, and they still take the kids. I guess you can't blame them for asking.

The day Comcast demands an SSN, is the day I switch to an alternate supplier if available..

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to ivanho

LOL what other means of verification is there. You may not involve equipment but 99 percent of self installs do. Nobody forcing you into it. A alternative is paying a security deposit or going in and showing ID.

DrSmith

join:2009-02-16
united state
reply to ivanho

I called in when ordering service and gave them my Driver License # instead of SSN. Install was successful. But when I call for support they ask for the last 4 of my SSN to authenticate me. I say "how do you know that since I never provided it"? They don't answer that question, but change to a different challenge, usually full address and DOB.

mike31US

join:2013-08-15
Auburn, WA
reply to rody_44

said by rody_44:

LOL what other means of verification is there. You may not involve equipment but 99 percent of self installs do. Nobody forcing you into it. A alternative is paying a security deposit or going in and showing ID.

Back when I lived in the UK to sign up for services such as cable all we required was our name, address & phone number. It's interesting to me since moving to the USA how much that SSN is relied on here.

ivanho

Burlington, VT
reply to jagged

said by jagged:

they are a Comcast re-seller

I doubt it.

»www.ripoffreport.com/reports/sea···idgevine

said by jagged:

Comcast will not consider you for service unless you provide an SSN

Not true. As a former Comcast customer (not to long ago) I know for certain that you are not required to provide them with your SSN.

(they have you physical address, duh!)

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

same here. I had to provide my ssn to get service and still need to provide it to prove I am me.