The New Haven Railroad
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Buffalo, NY

TrainBuff to iknow_t

Premium Member

to iknow_t

[Billing] Re: New Surcharge

If Verizon asked to have it cancelled, why was I charged it?

gfgfdgfg
@verizon.net

gfgfdgfg

Anon

This 99 cent surcharge is not a tax or fee being remitted to the government.
If it was it would be listed in that section of the bill.

Instead it is listed in the Verizon fees and surcharges section, this means that it is arbitrary. So this fee is Verizon's way of recouping some of its perceived expenses.

Or it just could be some way for Verizon to make more profit!
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

iknow_t to TrainBuff

to TrainBuff
said by TrainBuff:

If Verizon asked to have it cancelled, why was I charged it?

maybe they thought no one was looking.. like how they have uncapped internet with a cap they won't disclose.. that charge is illegal for them to collect..

pyn
@verio.net

pyn

Anon

I just got charged this as well. I went on Verizon's live chat and they told me:

On or after July 20, 2013, a single monthly account surcharge of $0.99 will appear on your bill reflected as NY Municipal Construction Surcharge. This surcharge is applicable to customers with FiOS Digital Voice or Verizon Internet Services, and will recover a portion of the expenses Verizon incurs for relocation of facilities that are in public rights-of-way to prevent interference with street repairs, public construction projects or other activities required for public health, safety or convenience. This charge will be reflected in the Verizon Surcharges and Other Charges & Credits section of the bill.

I responded with the quote above about how Verizon was ordered to cancel this charge. The rep said she could not cancel the charge. She told me to call Verizon if I refused to pay it.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

2 recommendations

batterup

Premium Member

said by pyn :

This surcharge is applicable to customers with FiOS Digital Voice or Verizon Internet Services,...

The "Digital Voice" and not "POTS" being charged means it is not a regulated charge. It appears Verizon just moved the 99ยข from "POTS" to internet.

Your bureaucracy at work; they can deny a tariff but not a surcharge