join:2007-05-03
Kissimmee, FL
Netgear CM1000
Asus RT-AX58

4 edits

2 recommendations

Bulls729

[Internet] Possible YouTube Fix

So it seems that the culprit wrecking havoc on every-bodies YT playback for some time is called DASH, it was actually meant to make YT better for faster connections.

"Dash Playback is a method on how a video should be buffered. If Dash Playback is enabled it will buffer the video in blocks. That means that every time you seek in the video it will have to rebuffer that block and it will not buffer the next block if you're not at the very end of the current block. If Dash Playback is turned off YouTube will load normally where you can pause the video and it will buffer to the end of the video and you can jump around in the video as much as you like."

To disable this you need to install an extension, select the appropriate link per your browser.
»github.com/YePpHa/YouTub ··· ter/wiki

The following instructions are for Chrome
2. Navigate to "chrome://extensions/" in the address bar
3. Enable "Developer Mode"
4. Drag that CRX file from an explorer/finder window into the "extensions" window in Chrome, it will install.
5. Navigate to YouTube and you'll be presented with a popup, click the button that takes you to settings.
6. Go to the player tab at the top, and un-check "Dash playback"
7. Enjoy YouTube

Now this fix will make the issue much more bearable and allow the videos to continue buffering thorugh, but do keep in mind that video download speeds can still be very bad.

Sorry for this hastily written guide, haven't been feeling well.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Bulls if this works you will make lots of people very happy.... thank you for sharing this!
ShadowFoxBiH
join:2013-04-27
Port Richey, FL

ShadowFoxBiH to Bulls729

to Bulls729
Gave this a test run and the buffering speed is almost triple of what it was before..... you are amazing!!!
sixtooth0
join:2011-01-29
Lakeland, FL

sixtooth0 to Bulls729

to Bulls729
What about ios and android?
rabeatz
join:2012-11-26
Winter Springs, FL

rabeatz to Bulls729

to Bulls729
Thanks! Add-on installed to Chromium in Ubuntu just fine. Hopefully it makes a difference.

GeNomer
join:2013-01-21
Indianapolis, IN

GeNomer to Bulls729

to Bulls729
I suspected it was something like this. Great info, man. I can't wait to get home and try it out.

samw
Are you sure? If not check again
Premium Member
join:2009-11-23
Lakeland, FL

samw to Bulls729

Premium Member

to Bulls729
For me the Chrome Box Mirror worked and it is running much better on my PC.
WinstonFl
join:2003-11-01
Deltona, FL

WinstonFl to Bulls729

to Bulls729
I'll have to try this but don't know if I am in the minority but my Youtube over the last 4-6 weeks has shown some definite improvement. I am once again able to view HD videos in 720 or 1080.

I also finally got my Google Chromecast and the Playing of videos on the TV has been flawless in High Quality as well.

Hopefully it will last!

Guide_Tim
join:2012-02-28
Taft, CA

1 edit

Guide_Tim to Bulls729

to Bulls729
I stumbled across this the other day , I been testing it and the streaming of the 1080 videos on youtube seem to play much more smoothly
Get around Youtube lag / fix laggy buffering.

PC:
Go to start, type in CMD and right click and open as administrator, then type
"netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="YoutubeFix" dir=in action=block remoteip=173.194.55.0/24,206.111.0.0/16 enable=yes

To remove this rule, type:
"netsh advfirewall firewall delete rule name="YoutubeFix"

For Macs:
sudo ipfw add reject src-ip 173.194.55.0/24 in
sudo ipfw add reject src-ip 206.111.0.0/16 in

For Tomato Routers Administration>Scripts>Firewall paste this
iptables -A INPUT -s 173.194.55.0/24 -j REJECT
iptables -A INPUT -s 206.111.0.0/16 -j REJECT
Then click Save at the bottom.

JeffMD
join:2002-08-16
Edgewater, FL

JeffMD to Bulls729

to Bulls729
this have anything to do with the recent issues where the player backtracks a couple seconds of audio every time the video quality changes?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Bulls729

Premium Member

to Bulls729
Hows this working for everyone?
skatermike21
join:2012-09-08
Gibsonton, FL

skatermike21

Seems to be a major improvement. Although I'm having some issues with hd playback. The video will just stop buffering and once it hits that spot it stops playing. I just put in the tip from Guide_Tim and will give that a shot to see if it fixes the hd video problem.

telijah
Premium Member
join:2013-04-22
Brandon, FL

telijah to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

Hows this working for everyone?

I did the method posted in the OP and it does seem to be a lot better, but I am also, rarely, experiencing what skatermike21 has stated, but if I refresh the page the video is on, it usually corrects itself and buffers the whole video as expected. This is on a windows 7 machine running Chrome.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Bulls729

Premium Member

to Bulls729
Still good?

telijah
Premium Member
Brandon, FL

telijah

Premium Member

Yarp
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Bulls729

Premium Member

to Bulls729
Good deal...

telijah
Premium Member
Brandon, FL

telijah to Bulls729

Premium Member

to Bulls729
Those using this fix are probably aware by now, but there was an update to the script. Those using Chrome will have to follow the instructions here again, as a full install, as Chrome will not simply allow an update to be pushed like this, and you will again have to disable Dash Playback. This may be because I uninstalled the Extension before reinstalling it, so I am not sure if my settings were wiped out due to that. Just a heads up
Expand your moderator at work
FastAttack
Premium Member
join:2000-07-28
Bradenton, FL

FastAttack to Bulls729

Premium Member

to Bulls729

Re: [Internet] Possible YouTube Fix

last couple of days I have been buffering like crazy even with the fix
its actually annoying
kmdean
join:2012-06-22
Orlando, FL

kmdean

Yeah, youtube is like 1mbit tops most of the time these days except at 3am. With dash playback disabled I just open multiple tabs of the videos I want to watch and come back later when they've fully loaded.

Bacail
join:2010-11-01
Deland, FL

Bacail to Bulls729

to Bulls729
I have to say, disabling Dash playback improved my youtube experience. I have the bandwidth to let the whole video download, so dash was annoying when they first turned it on. Thanks for the tip!
Tarq
join:2013-11-27
Saint Petersburg, FL

Tarq to Bulls729

to Bulls729
Youtube has become pretty much unplayable for me even with those fixes. I can stream pretty much everything else just fine

Milkman0
join:2011-03-10
Brooksville, FL

Milkman0

In the last few days, Youtube has been horrendous for me as well even with the fixes.
kmdean
join:2012-06-22
Orlando, FL

kmdean

Yep, even 480p sometimes doesn't stream consistently. Forget 720p or 1080p.

telijah
Premium Member
Brandon, FL

telijah to Bulls729

Premium Member

to Bulls729
Weird, the fix is still working perfect for me. The only oddity I see is on the video thumbnails, I still see the video length in the bottom-right of the thumbnail, but in the top left of it, it says "Error"... I think that usually tells me what quality the video was...? Either way though, still plays YouTube videos without problems.
WinstonFl
join:2003-11-01
Deltona, FL

WinstonFl to Milkman0

to Milkman0
Yep..Same here. Over the past few months Youtube had been working great. But over the past week it has gone down the tubes once again barely able to play video especially higher quality...Also this 'fix' isn't possible to work on a Chromecast or Apple TV, both of which were also lagging considerably tonight on playback.

Dragasoni
We're All Mad Here
Premium Member
join:2001-12-14
Palm Bay, FL

Dragasoni to Bulls729

Premium Member

to Bulls729
YouTube is a constant source of annoyance for me. Brighthouse throttles the crap out of it. They claim they don't, but I know they do. The only way I can watch YouTube is to connect to my neighbors AT&T DSL, tether my laptop to my cell phone, or VPN into work. It works great early in the morning, but during peak times forget it; I can't even load a 360p video.

If AT&T didn't have a 150GB cap, I'd switch to them in a heart beat.

-Dragasoni-

telijah
Premium Member
Brandon, FL

telijah

Premium Member

It drives me nuts hearing those claims. I've been using this fix and have absolutely NO speed issues.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Dragasoni

Premium Member

to Dragasoni
said by Dragasoni:

YouTube is a constant source of annoyance for me. Brighthouse throttles the crap out of it. They claim they don't, but I know they do. The only way I can watch YouTube is to connect to my neighbors AT&T DSL, tether my laptop to my cell phone, or VPN into work. It works great early in the morning, but during peak times forget it; I can't even load a 360p video.

If AT&T didn't have a 150GB cap, I'd switch to them in a heart beat.

-Dragasoni-

No we do not. This is a well documented problem with Youtube....and all providers. Google it or look here in our forums. We do not throttle as you call it ANY user traffic period!

Dragasoni
We're All Mad Here
Premium Member
join:2001-12-14
Palm Bay, FL

Dragasoni

Premium Member

Ok, then why does switching to my neighbors DSL fix the problem? Also, if I VPN into work YouTube works just fine, why is that?

-Dragasoni-