share rss forum feed

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

[HN9000] Moving From The Country To A City Apartment...

About to graduate college and get a great job in the city so must move there.

Problem is I don't think HughesNet will be able to move my service with me because the apartment I am moving to has a north facing balcony under trees and my lease says satellites can only be installed in the "exclusive use area" which is the balcony.

So will Hughes let me out of the contract without paying the ETF?
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

gwalk
Premium
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

My advise is to go here:
»legal.hughesnet.com/FairAccessPo···Gen4.cfm

Select the appropriate topic from the menu items on the left.
Note that the page linked is for 9000 systems.

To view info for all systems (as details may vary) select from the three options listed in my Hughes community post here:

»community.myhughesnet.com/hughes···_systems

Do not depend, good or bad, on any information given you from the outsourced Hughes support system.

Document everything:
Who, What, When & Where.
Record and retain all case numbers (very important step)

As you progress through the "system" you may wish to "join" and post your adventure on the Hughes Community forum found here:

»community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics

The assistance of Sara or Suz will enable you to verify status without having to learn a second language.

Other points:
A Satellite ISP is a connection type of Last Resort.
If you have ANY other options when moving to the city, moving your Hughesnet connection is the last option you would want.

Cancellation:
As posted previously by Sara, the cancelation process differs somewhat as compared to doing business with a reputable company.
Hughes doesn't understand that Cancel means Cancel. They use some slippery tactics to maximize their "take" from you.

Pay attention to "unless immediate cancelation is requested..."

EMPLOYEE

Sara for Hughes (Official Rep) 7 minutes ago

There seems to be a few questions here specifically regarding our cancellation practices and the reasons behind some of our policies. As I mentioned above, unless a customer requests an immediate cancellation to their account cancellations will be processed at the end of that customer's billing cycle. The customer is informed of this on the call. The reason we do not have a cancellation option online is because we want to make sure that we've done everything that we can to keep you as a customer. There are times when customers call in to cancel because of underlying concerns. We want to figure out what those concerns are and address them for you. However, we have gotten some feedback regarding long hold times, and that is unacceptable and something we are looking into now.
Our terms and conditions can be found here »legal.hughesnet.com/ServiceTer...
Thanks, Sara

Good Luck.
Watch your billing very carefully

Read and understand your obligation and procedures as to returning equipment.
Track the progress of returned equipment very carefully as many have reported their returned equipment becoming "Lost" in the Hughes warehouse resulting massive unreturned equipment fees.

Be careful, be VERY careful. This is a company that is not what it once was, that is VERY PROFIT MINDED and hard to rectify mistakes wall always benefit Hughes.

Again, Be Careful, Good Luck.

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

Well I know with 100% certainty that HughesNet will not be able to install the service where I am moving. DirecTV has already been out and that could not even be installed. Per the TAA Satellite Addendum, satellites may only be installed in the "exclusive use area" of the tenant and that means my balcony, which faces north.

So I will be getting cable for TV and Internet, UVerse is available too.

Problem is I need to avoid this ETF, I can not afford it with all the other moving expenses and I would be willing to keep the service if it were possible but it simply is not.
--

gwalk
Premium
West Mich.
reply to TheTechGuru

I think if you read the terms in the various topics that are linked, that not being able to install, not have LOS and so on with allow you to "exit" Hughes.
Do indeed though Dot those "I's" and cross the "T's"

septcasey

join:2006-09-07
United State
reply to TheTechGuru

Is cable or DSL available where you're going? Check that first.

gwalk
Premium
West Mich.

His next to last sentence states "So I will be getting cable for TV and Internet"

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
reply to septcasey

said by septcasey:

Is cable or DSL available where you're going? Check that first.

--