uniqs
dan991199
join:2007-10-01
St Catharines, ON

dan991199 to WarningU2

to WarningU2

Re: [INTERNET] Router Recommendations / Poll

if you can wait just a bit longer, i would STRONGLY suggest getting an almond+

it is going to blow away anything on the market currently.

video is here:
»www.kickstarter.com/proj ··· art-home

Gixxer
join:2008-08-27
St Catharines, ON

1 recommendation

Gixxer

said by dan991199:

if you can wait just a bit longer, i would STRONGLY suggest getting an almond+

it is going to blow away anything on the market currently.

video is here:
»www.kickstarter.com/proj ··· art-home

Looks like something a hipster would use, I'll pass.
dan991199
St Catharines, ON

dan991199

wireless A/C
the power of a proper *nix based router/firewall with the same power consumption as a regular table top router...

don't be a contrarian just for the sake of being one....

Gixxer
join:2008-08-27
St Catharines, ON

1 edit

Gixxer

said by dan991199:

wireless A/C
the power of a proper *nix based router/firewall with the same power consumption as a regular table top router...

don't be a contrarian just for the sake of being one....

I'm not doubting what the router is capable of, it just seems that in order to own one I would need to also own a fixie, wayfarers, super tight jeans, plaid shirts and avoid everything mainstream as if it's bad or something.

The Dark Knight (Yes that's what the N66U is called) is proven, it works well in fact and it looks sexy.

Almond+, I have literally just heard of it yesterday and I'm not going to put my network in the hands of a start up. They tout exquisite design but their router looks like a spray painted cardboard box with holes punched into it. Maybe if it had a more elegant professional design I would take them seriously.
dan991199
St Catharines, ON

dan991199

just because you've only just heard of them doesn't mean they are new. the almond has been around and has proven itself for a year now (rated #1 router on amazon). As for the worry that you need to be a hipster to use one, I would say you have much larger self confidence, and self perception issues you need to explore.

WarningU2
Premium Member
join:2002-10-27
Burlington, ON

WarningU2 to Gixxer

Premium Member

to Gixxer
So I ended up purchasing the RT-AC66U ... the guy at tiger direct recommended it for an extra 20 bucks. I haven't installed it yet because I don't want to be tired and rushed... likely do it this weekend unless the DLINK tosses its cookies completely. ... thanks everyone for their help. Its been invaluable. I will post back my impressions of Dark Knight (2) when installed

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

I see Shibby's Tomato is now available for the RT-AC66U.

Mike

WarningU2
Premium Member
Burlington, ON

WarningU2

Premium Member

No idea what you're referring to ?
Expand your moderator at work
MrPink
join:2003-08-15
Peterborough, ON

MrPink to WarningU2

to WarningU2

Re: [INTERNET] Router Recommendations / Poll

Tomato is a third party firmware patch for routers. I googled Shibby's Tomato and the site seems mostly to be in a foreign language. What was written in english was over my head anyways lol. Unless you need it and understand what it does I'd just leave the router as is.

WarningU2
Premium Member
Burlington, ON

WarningU2

Premium Member

thanks ... yeah I was just doing the same and coming to the same conclusion but thanks Mr Pink (from R Dogs I presume? )
MrPink
join:2003-08-15
Peterborough, ON

MrPink

correct you are sir...

TheShib
@start.ca

TheShib to WarningU2

Anon

to WarningU2
Shibby is the software engineer who has made some really great add ons to the Tomato Kernel for routers. The rt-ac66u is a good router because it can take advantage of these tweaks. This is a link to the site. Yes Shibby is russian but the docs are english and it easily understandable. Here is the link:

»tomato.groov.pl/ (no Kim this is not spam ..lol

Also the generic Tomato install is here:

»www.polarcloud.com/tomato

Your router is "capable" of running these, if you are so inclined.