how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MOSFET

join:2002-09-29
Garfield, NJ

[OOL] New Speeds are Too Much

My speeds used to be 30. Everything was stable and ran well. Now, OOL upped the speeds to 50 and my speed tests are erratic and jitter has appeared in the test results which has never happened before. I think 50 is simply too much for the line I have. Can we go back to 30? I've noticed even in my office which has OOL, now that they raised the speeds, the web pages load MUCH SLOWER. I think the speed is too much for the lines.

youngbuck

join:2011-05-18
Bronx, NY

Drop Ultra 50 and go with 18/5.

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

said by youngbuck:

Drop Ultra 50 and go with 18/5.

+1

And save some money too!
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

Booost

@optonline.net
reply to MOSFET

Maybe we could help you if you go to »192.168.100.1 and post a screenshot.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

said by Booost :

Maybe we could help you if you go to »192.168.100.1 and post a screenshot.

This.

Also, what modem do you have?
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

SHoTTa35

@kfvaluation.com

Definitely shouldn't be "slower" in any regard but I guess there could be issues as a result of the tweaking they did to get this ready.

As mentioned, post your statistics and that will help narrow down the issue. Also posting some tracerts/pings might show there is an issue outside of your current devices as well.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
reply to MOSFET

Just to touch all bases. Do you have a router? If so have you tried without the router?

MOSFET

join:2002-09-29
Garfield, NJ

All bases have been touched. With and without the router.

ModemDoc

@rcn.com
reply to MOSFET

You're likely experiencing packet loss due to higher modulation scheme on bonded return and some signal issues. Post some levels or give some detail of your setup, Saying speed is too much for lines is a very non technical uneducated assumption.

cablewizzard

join:2009-06-14
Hicksville, NY
kudos:1

said by ModemDoc :

You're likely experiencing packet loss due to higher modulation scheme on bonded return and some signal issues. Post some levels or give some detail of your setup, Saying speed is too much for lines is a very non technical uneducated assumption.

US or DS channel modulation scheme is not dependent on configured speed for HSD. CV has 256QAM 6.4 MHz DS channels (38 Mbps per channel raw) and generally 64QAM 6.4MHz ATDMA US channels, running at 30 Mbps each. Only D1.0/D.1 devices (such as the Cisco/SA cable boxes) still use a 3.2Mhz 16QAM US (10Mbit/s).

The fallback scheme only kicks in if the return goes somewhere below 22dB - and it's a fallback to 16QAM. Further Fallback to QPSK is a near-catastrophic event, that you will see corrected very quickly.

OP: do you have a D3 modem? What is the exact model, and what are the colors of the US/DS (Up/Downstream) LEDs? Have they changed recently? Do you experience drops/reboots?

ModemDoc

@rcn.com

Downstream are 42 raw, 38.8 actual and they are 6mhz wide not 6.4mhz. The latter is only on return path.

Fallen_Anjel

join:2011-04-07
Rocky Point, NY
reply to MOSFET

....said no one ever.