spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

CanPhoneSpam

@verizon.net

[FiOS Phone] CPR Call Blocker

Has anyone else tried the CPR Call Blocker with FIOS?

It is working sort-of for me, but with some weird behavior.

Any helpful hints appreciated.

TIA

The Master

join:2008-09-25
Lumberton, NJ
Should work the same on FIOS as it does on any other service. Which is to say not very well. The fraudsters that ignore the do not call list (Card Services, etc.) spoof their caller ID info, and seem to change it daily. You can't block that

If you've got FIOS Digital Voice, turn on anonymous file rejection. If there's a number or 2 that is a regular annoyance, add it to the block list.

Register on the national do not call list, it really does stop most marketing call from *legitimate* businesses.

If you are getting marketing call from companies you do business with (cable co, phone co., etc.), ask them to put you on their do not call list. I've done this with Comcast, Verizon, and Allstate Insurance with good results.

Political call, charities, and surveys are exempt from do not call list. You can ask them to put you on their do not call list, success will be limited.

Credit card scammers (Card Services), Indian dudes informing you that your computer is infected (Windows Company LOL), and other fraudsters don't care about laws or customer satisfaction, you can't get rid of them. They forge caller id data and change it often, can't be effectively blocked.

Good Luck
Ed

JackBauer

join:2006-08-24
Schenectady, NY
VZ needs to seriously upgrade DV to allow far more blocked numbers than current.

I like (not love) my VoicePulse account - I now probably have 60 numbers blocked. Will never leave it unless the replacement offers similar capability.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to CanPhoneSpam
I think something like this is a better option, and it looks close. See »nomorobo.com/. Watch the demo video. The developer is a co-winner of the FTC’s $50,000 “Robocall Challenge” contest. There is a an article about this in the Los Angeles Times business section today, 9/3/2013.

justin9876

join:2006-04-21
Keller, TX
said by PJL:

I think something like this is a better option, and it looks close. See »nomorobo.com/. Watch the demo video. The developer is a co-winner of the FTC’s $50,000 “Robocall Challenge” contest. There is a an article about this in the Los Angeles Times business section today, 9/3/2013.

PJL, thanks for the pointer, Nomorobo does look interesting, depending on how well it works in the real world and what the monthly cost is. I submitted my email address to get more info.
--
Justin
Verizon FiOS TV and Internet
Motorola QIP7232 HD DVR
Motorola QIP 7100-P2
Sony KDL-V40XBR1

PJL

Long Beach, CA
Justin, according to the LA Times article it will be free. I hope they post it to their public web site soon.

thepawn

join:2002-10-22
Clifton, NJ
reply to CanPhoneSpam
I'm going to try DigiTone. I've already maxed my 10 numbers to block list.

MrFix3

join:2007-05-02
Eastchester, NY
reply to JackBauer
said by JackBauer:

VZ needs to seriously upgrade DV to allow far more blocked numbers than current.

This.

They need to allow wildcard addition as well as some of the telemarketers use a block of numbers (i.e. 555-555-1234, 555-555-5678). We should be able to block 555-555-* to prevent that type of caller.

Plus, I believe some of the features are mutually exclusive, so if you enable one you can't use another. DV is still a work in progress for them.

PJL

Long Beach, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by MrFix3:

said by JackBauer:

This.

They need to allow wildcard addition as well as some of the telemarketers use a block of numbers (i.e. 555-555-1234, 555-555-5678). We should be able to block 555-555-* to prevent that type of caller.

Plus, I believe some of the features are mutually exclusive, so if you enable one you can't use another. DV is still a work in progress for them.

Number blocking and call email notification can't be enabled simultaneously.

HD_Ride
Premium
join:2000-10-18
Jerseyastan
reply to JackBauer
said by JackBauer:

I like (not love) my VoicePulse account - I now probably have 60 numbers blocked. Will never leave it unless the replacement offers similar capability.

Yep, we had Voicepulse prior to 2006 when we still have VZ DLS. They are a great little company out of NJ. I still have the review hanging off my DSLreports account and can’t get rid of it, LOL.

I think as a rule any 3rd party VoIP provider will have much better features than VZ or the Cable providers. Voicepulse (or any other VoIP) gives you many useful privacy features, there is no comparison. With VZ Digital voice you get the standard lackluster features and dial tone. And in our case we still have their cheesy Freedom package and they want to charge us to block specific numbers...

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
reply to thepawn
said by thepawn:

I'm going to try DigiTone. I've already maxed my 10 numbers to block list.

Digitone works great. I've used about 50 of the 80 blocks available. If I need more, I'll use some wildcards.