rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to ivanho

Premium Member

to ivanho

Re: Warning: comcastspecials dot com asks for your SSN and DOB

Legit or scam? No clue but we do know that when ordering anything online not many companies is going to be sending out 150 dollars worth of supplys without some verification in place. Fiwiw , I think its legit since when i put in my address it knows what services i have.
ivanho
join:2013-09-02
Burlington, VT

1 recommendation

ivanho

said by rody_44:

when ordering anything online not many companies is going to be sending out 150 dollars worth of supplys without some verification in place

No supplies were involved (existing installation, only activation). Some verification perfectly understandable, not SSN though. Except for the IRS and very few types of financial institutions, you should never give your SSN to anyone (unless you want to gamble with identity theft).
said by rody_44:

Fiwiw , I think its legit since when i put in my address it knows what services i have.

The most successful scammers are those who look and act most believably.

See: »www.ripoffreport.com/r/B ··· t-967089

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx

FureverFurry

Premium Member

Be careful when calling Comcast, too. Recently had a CAE "demand" (!!!) my full SSN to verify me. Far too much ID theft occurring these days.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to ivanho

Premium Member

to ivanho
LOL what other means of verification is there. You may not involve equipment but 99 percent of self installs do. Nobody forcing you into it. A alternative is paying a security deposit or going in and showing ID.
mike31US
join:2013-08-15
Orting, WA

mike31US

said by rody_44:

LOL what other means of verification is there. You may not involve equipment but 99 percent of self installs do. Nobody forcing you into it. A alternative is paying a security deposit or going in and showing ID.

Back when I lived in the UK to sign up for services such as cable all we required was our name, address & phone number. It's interesting to me since moving to the USA how much that SSN is relied on here.