uniqs
share rss forum feed

Edrick
I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium
join:2004-09-11
Woburn, MA

Commercial Audio Music Player for Stores

I'm looking for a player device for a business environment (multiple cafe shops) where the owner wants to beable to remotely manage the media playlists and change them. But only allow the employees in the store to select the playlists and play it. Does anyone know of software I could install on a small sever or a media player device that will do this?

Either something that just has a web interface to select what music is playing out of the audio output or maybe a media player device that has a front small text display to select playlists?

Short Story:

End User (Staff) shouldn't have any access to change, edit or add music to the playlists.

Owner wants to be able to do all of it.
--
Edrick Smith
Independent Film & Broadcast Producer
»edricksmith.com

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1

Just to be sure, the owner is aware of the licensing required for playing music in a cafe right?

If he just plans to play off his iTunes downloads he will get sued by the ASCAP Gestapo.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON

said by Kearnstd:

Just to be sure, the owner is aware of the licensing required for playing music in a cafe right?

If he just plans to play off his iTunes downloads he will get sued by the ASCAP Gestapo.

And for that reason, most stores and restaurants I know of farm out the management of background music to a commercial business music service that handles all the licensing & distribution headaches for a reasonable fee. It's simply not worth the hassle!

Edrick
Premium
Woburn, MA
reply to Edrick

Copyrights taken care of no issues there, just need a device to playback music that either can be controlled by the bossman via a web interface or the staff but not have the ability to change / make new playlists / not a computer that just plays music.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1
reply to Edrick

What about a streaming set up from a central server?

Edrick
Premium
Woburn, MA

That would work it's a mac environment so what would be a good streaming media server

Edrick
Premium
Woburn, MA
reply to Edrick

Here's what I'm thinking, although I can't tell if you can create media playlists on Plex.

But what I'd like to do is setup a Plex Media Server or some other media server environment. Then have a client on a raspberry pi for example or some other small computing platform that you can select playlists from, but not create or modify.

Any ideas? Can this be done with plex?
--
Edrick Smith
Independent Film & Broadcast Producer
»edricksmith.com

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

»forums.plexapp.com is the best place to ask

Edrick
Premium
Woburn, MA

It seems plex is very limited in its playlist functionality so I wasn't sure if there was another app that one might recommend.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by Edrick:

It seems plex is very limited in its playlist functionality so I wasn't sure if there was another app that one might recommend.

I didn't get that at all from your message above, sorry...

Maybe check into subsonic.org
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

fcisler
Premium
join:2004-06-14
Riverhead, NY
reply to Edrick

»www.fullcompass.com/product/430195.html

Check this out. This should cover you.