Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca to DrugTito

Premium Member

to DrugTito
said by DrugTito:

I am sure TSI and other ISPs are laughing at this now, especially to customers that left them for full speed at all the time.

We're pretty transparent about what your $10 gets you.

So far 99.9% of the time max speed any time you've wanted without having to worry about the meter, but on a labour day weekend after downloading throughout the peak period, sorry, yes might be slower for a couple hours.

As for other ISP's laughing because they are downloading full speed on peak, I'll bite my tongue on that one.

Anyway, looks like it's already on it's way back.
lbonnell
join:2013-02-21

lbonnell to DrugTito

to DrugTito
400gb peak usage plus unlimited 2am-8am and only $10 more then 45/10 unlimited. plus no worries about throttle for using over 10gb makes it pretty easy call for me anyways

DrugTito
join:2013-01-17
canada

DrugTito to rocca

to rocca
I am more then happy with START's service, even with what happened today, only thing that i will be considering actually is dropping unlimited and go with lower\higher tier. (with limits, so this cannot happen)

lbonnell, true that, i am even considering this now..
Bierno
join:2011-01-29
Nepean, ON

Bierno to DrugTito

to DrugTito
wow this is the worst thing I ever seen... does vmedia.ca have this problem too?

I just discovered them and they do 52$ for 45/4 unlimited

DrugTito
canada

DrugTito

I would say that vmedia can't be compared with start in any way.
*They are reselling internet = support is bad, lots of ppl complain about speeds, etc*

You should do some more re-search.

dwane1972
I recommend Start.ca
join:2003-10-08
Bailieboro, ON
Netgear R7900

dwane1972 to DrugTito

to DrugTito
Yeah my usually solid connection is all over the map tonight. Pings from 40-80ms and struggling to even get 2MB of my usual 20MB speed.
Slightly better now...

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

I suspect yours is node congestion since you're not on unlimited, and also because very little prioritization is happening as load is much less than it was an hour ago.

Keep in mind that tonight is much busier not only for our customers, but likely customers from many ISP's on the cable network (including Rogers) and any nodes that were already near capacity may be more prone to congestion tonight.
HKPolice
join:2002-08-09
Scarborough, ON

HKPolice to DrugTito

to DrugTito
Rocca can you confirm that the unlimited throttling does NOT affect legacy Cable profile users?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

We don't have unlimited on legacy profiles. The prioritization only affects unlimited customers who have used a lot of on-peak usage during the day in the case where an abnormal traffic spike occurs.

DrugTito
canada

DrugTito

Back to "NORMAL"

but, its almost time to sleep lol

Startuser
@start.ca

Startuser to lbonnell

Anon

to lbonnell
said by lbonnell:

400gb peak usage plus unlimited 2am-8am and only $10 more then 45/10 unlimited. plus no worries about throttle for using over 10gb makes it pretty easy call for me anyways

Not that throttling actually occurs after 10Gb automatically. It just means your priority is lower when there is congestion or saturation. Perhaps you should read up a bit more on how the fair usage policy works on the unlimited plans. Besides what is it you need 150/10 for that 45/10 can't suffice for?
Startuser

Startuser to rocca

Anon

to rocca
said by rocca:

That's the unlimited policy kicking in, crazy busy "everyone home from the long-weekend and moved into new dorms before classes start in the morning" so it's prioritizing other connections who aren't in the unlimited pool who have done lots of downloading already today. It's a pretty unusually high jump tonight, but we have more capacity being added next Monday as well.

edit: If you move your bulk transfers into the 2-8am window, remember that doesn't count towards QoS calculations.

How many 10Gbps links will Start see in the near future. As far as i can tell Start currently has one 10Gbps link which was previously 3x1Gbps.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

1 recommendation

rocca

Premium Member

We're starting the process for our 2nd one - but the actual number of physical links doesn't really mean much on its own. Ie, an ISP with 1 x 1G link and 1,000 customers is for the most part the same as an ISP with 1 x 10G link and 10,000 customers, or an ISP with 5 x 10G links and 50,000 customers. The links themselves aren't the expensive part, it's the CRTC approved CBB rate that is expensive.

Breadwinka
join:2008-06-08
Kitchener, ON

Breadwinka to rocca

to rocca
Exactly at rogers the call this Cable Christmas. Busiest time for them.
Bierno
join:2011-01-29
Nepean, ON

Bierno to DrugTito

to DrugTito
nvm issue with steam lol
Guru
join:2008-10-01

Guru

said by Bierno:

now i cant login.. is my connection being blocked to steam now?

No, Start will not block Steam. It will simply de-prioritize stem downloads meaning you will not get full speeds. If you cannot login then, please check your side of the settings.
lbonnell
join:2013-02-21

lbonnell to Startuser

to Startuser
why not for only $10 more? and 3x the speed.... i know the 10gb throttle doesnt happen automatically but i dont have to worry about it at all unless i exceed $25 overage in which case i too would have lower priority.

rogersmogers
@start.ca

rogersmogers

Anon

I heard from a few peeps that even cogeco on start was seeing slowdowns.
Guru

Guru

said by rogersmogers :

I heard from a few peeps that even cogeco on start was seeing slowdowns.

That's correct, I was seeing the slow down. But again, it was a busy night everywhere. Everyone was seeing slow downs, my servers too. But that being said, it's not a big deal as many of us make it so.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 recommendation

Davesnothere

Premium Member

I tested right now, and my Cogeco fed START 20/2 tier is running at 85% or better, even while I have the CBC National News streaming in live.

Ping varied between 26ms and 57ms among 4 consective tests.

Not too bad for evening peak, I would say.
Guru

Guru

I have 2 remote sessions going on + uploading @150 Kb/s and still pulling in full speeds + 20ms.

rogersmogers
@start.ca

rogersmogers to rogersmogers

Anon

to rogersmogers

Ummm

Starts speed test

Eastlink Barrie

My Server at Peer 1 Toronto

All on Cogeco's lines. This is the same thing I was seeing last night.
Guru

Guru

rogersmogers, it must be your node then.

Mine:

DrugTito
canada

DrugTito

I don't see any problem as well.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to rogersmogers

Premium Member

to rogersmogers
FYI, that first one isn't our speedtest (ie Kanata) - but based on the graphs on your connection at time of that speedtest result, it appears that you were maxing out your connection so I suspect you had something else running in the background. If you're still seeing issues please do a factory reset on the modem and PM me the issue and I'd be happy to take a look further. Thanks.

DrugTito
canada

DrugTito

What i am noticing at this moment, that, ping is higher then usual.
speed test is showing ok results, but, ping sux.

i am having issues playing world of tanks atm because of this.

for example:

ping to google is usually 10-13 ms, now, 40-50+ms.

* ping -4 google.com -t

Pinging google.com [173.194.43.68] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 173.194.43.68: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=57
Reply from 173.194.43.68: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=57
Reply from 173.194.43.68: bytes=32 time=40ms TTL=57
Reply from 173.194.43.68: bytes=32 time=51ms TTL=57
Reply from 173.194.43.68: bytes=32 time=60ms TTL=57
Reply from 173.194.43.68: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=57
Reply from 173.194.43.68: bytes=32 time=64ms TTL=57
Reply from 173.194.43.68: bytes=32 time=58ms TTL=57
Reply from 173.194.43.68: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=57

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

You're *well* past the fair use trigger for the day.

It's a busy Sunday night, more capacity being added tomorrow but our fair use policy had to kick in for a short period tonight, expect it'll kick back out in 30 mins.

DrugTito
canada

DrugTito

oh ok!

damn, that is the case, lol, i did not even check the usage.

*Slaps* DT

Thanks for letting me know mister, everything good!

DavePC
join:2013-08-18
Scarborough, ON
Sagemcom F@st 5689
Technicolor CGM4331
Obihai OBi200

DavePC to rocca

to rocca

Having some slowdowns, similar to DrugTito.

Not even close to the 10gb soft cap.

Also, out of curosity: Why do I never hit 25+ on speedtest.net? I thought Start over provisions speeds (30/2?)

It's mostly 24.5 or lower, uploads around 2.