Search similar:

uniqs
hdefjunkie
join:2005-01-14
Kanata, ON

hdefjunkie

[DSL] Lots of bits on the floor tonite

Click for full size
Not to be a stick in the eye, considering all that is going on with outages, but noticed
some unexplained lags and lost packets recently. Some of these core switches are dropping stuff all over the place.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

That's normal with ICMP. If there was actual packet loss you would see loss all the way down the path.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

said by 34764170:

That's normal with ICMP. If there was actual packet loss you would see loss all the way down the path.

he is seeing it all the way down once reaching TSI, the third column is the loss %, the one after the hostnames. the big 40% ones are just routers de-prioritizing ICMP while the others are likely legit drops since since they're mostly all in the same range with the last host.
hdefjunkie
Kanata, ON

hdefjunkie

Click for full size
Yeah.. makes sense for the core switches.. Although a little worse this morning. I checked my local data path since there are discards on 192.168.1.1

host - ether switch - router - modem

and all port counters are clean (0) (thought I might have a cable going bad).

Haven't seen these kinds of discards before, though I did switch to 50/10 vdsl so perhaps this is the norm.

Funny thing is, I do see strange things when browsing, need to click and refresh opening up image galleries, using back in browser when google searching sometimes looses the url. Almost like when the MTU is mismatched..

More of an annoyance if anything.. Perhaps things need to shake out a bit with all the on goings..
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

2 edits

34764170 (banned) to jmck

to jmck
I find that questionable. Anyway, ICMP is still a poor means of trying to determine packet loss in modern networks; it'll give you data which is not conclusive at all.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

said by 34764170:

It doesn't look like that to me.

you don't see 1.1% packet loss to the last hop or ~1% packet to every hop after the first TSI one (hop #2)?

you might want to just try reconnecting your PPPoE session, if it's a load balancing issue between Bell/TSI you might get connect through another Gig-E link.

for what it's worth, TSI is also reporting some issues with DSL in Ottawa, maybe it's affecting but who knows exactly since I don't think TSI mentioned what the DSL issues are (slow speeds, auth, etc).
hdefjunkie
Kanata, ON

hdefjunkie

THx.. Power cycled my modem vs a reboot which I did yesterday. Will see how things go.

Far as I know, tools are quite limited for this kind of thing, but am open to any recommendations.

Edit: I see bell is reporting possible interruptions with "high speed" and "IPTV" so maybe they're just messing with it.
hdefjunkie

hdefjunkie

Click for full size
Hmm.. Breaking down the hops... ICMP getting discarded due to low priority?