spc
Search similar:

uniqs

gibsons4444
@comcast.net

gibsons4444

Anon

[Speed] Comcast Upgrade to Extreme 105

I had Performance plan, offered upgrade to Blast for 3 months free, then $10 more. I then upgraded to Extreme 105 and scheduled install for $249 fee. I purchased new modem, router _ Zoom 5341J and Netgear r6300. My speed test are:

Hardwired into Zoom 5341J cable modem
• Ping – 8 ms
• Download speed – 158.01 Mbps
• Upload speed – 24.00 Mbps

Hardwired into Zoom 5341 cable modem then hardwired into Netgear r6300 Router
• Ping – 7 ms
• Download Speed – 189.73 Mbps
• Upload Speed – 24.16 Mbps

Wireless on 2.4 Ghz from Netgear r6300 Router
• Ping – 8 ms
• Download Speed – 23.26 Mbps
• Upload Speed – 19.98 Mbps
• Wireless Card Ralink RT5390R 802.11b/g/n 1x1 Wi-Fi Adapter
Wireless on 5.0 Ghz from Netgear r6300 Router – iPad
• Ping – 19 ms
• Download Speed – 41.28 Mbps
• Upload Speed – 19.70 Mbps
Wireless on 2.4 Ghz from Netgear r6300 Router – iPad
• Ping – 22 ms
• Download Speed – 32.36 Mbps
• Upload Speed – 19.31 Mbps

I have multiple questions:
According to Comcast, I am still on Blast Plan, and I can't see Extreme speeds until tech comes
Is that true?

Based on the download speeds I am getting hardwired seems like I am already on Extreme 105 Plan, is that true?

If it is, I am going to cancel install and subsequent $249 charge.

Next Question, What can I do to improve my Wireless Speeds, based on everything I have found out, the Ralink Wireless Card in my laptop should be able to get 72 Mbps...

I have used the inSSIDer tool and I have only 1 other 2.4 Ghz channel on my channel and the signal is very low, link score is 98 - 100.

I should say that I have had Performance Plan for years and no issues streaming, downloads slow. I had Comcast SB6120 cable modem and Netgear WNDR4500 router.

Should I just be satisfied with what I had? How can I tune Wireless for better performance?
quesix
join:2005-12-19
Cary, IL
ARRIS SB6141
Cisco 2851
Asus RT-AC66

quesix

That is normal wireless speed, unfortunately. With most devices only supporting 802.11n 2,4Ghz, there is not much you can do for those devices. You might look at bleeding edge 802.11ac if you really want to push those speeds higher. Personally i would just used wired gigabit for main system you use. Between bandwidth caps which will be coming back and today's internet it's not worth worrying over. As far as install charge you do seem to have 105/20 package, or some really good power boost...but not sure Comcast will let you skip the install anyway...

gibson4444
@comcast.net

gibson4444

Anon

I cancelled the upgrade to Extreme 105 because I am already getting those speeds with Blast plan. Download speeds have increased tremendously. I would have to get install free and see what speed is at Extreme 105 tier. But not worth it for install fee. In a week or so, I will retest to see if speeds reduced which would tell me the tier change was already done to extreme 105 and the install for Extreme 105 is not needed at least for me.... I suspect the change to Extreme 105 tier has already been done,,, cant believe I am getting these speeds on Blast tier. The r6300 does has PowerBoost, which is why my hardwired speeds are higher for router, than cable modem.

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

You are misreading your situation. 189/24 is not Blast. You were pushed the Extreme config file ahead of the tech visit portion of the install. When the upgrade to Extreme cancellation goes thru, you will eventually get back the Blast config file and the Blast speeds.

gibson4444
@comcast.net

gibson4444

Anon

so i already had extreme 105 speeds, why do i need the install? I would be willing to keep extreme 105 without install fee, will Comcast do that

pclover
join:2008-08-02
Santa Cruz, CA

2 edits

pclover

said by gibson4444 :

so i already had extreme 105 speeds, why do i need the install? I would be willing to keep extreme 105 without install fee, will Comcast do that

I doubt comcast is going to do that. They will likely just revert you back to blast.

Reading I feel the $249 is a scam to get more money of people. People claim they make changes to the node etc. etc. but IMO they don't do shit and just collect the money.
aabaaf
join:2011-12-09
Wheaton, IL

aabaaf

Internally it is also a way of making sure that you REALLY want the 105 speed. Don't just upgrade to it for a month, and then say, nope not for me. Or use it move some really big files around and then not need that speed anymore. The $249 install fee is a way of keeping out those that just want to try it. They don't really do anything per se to the node etc... But it's a "charge" in case they have to, so that the person using the 105 does not disrupt those using BLAST/Performance.

AnonMan
@comcast.net

AnonMan to gibsons4444

Anon

to gibsons4444
FWIW the issue is your wireless.

1x1 wireless card won't do much beyond that. Wireless connection link rates are not the actual speed you will see.

2.4GHz is a very noisy band and often only 5GHz will give you full speed.

To enjoy Extreme via wireless you either need a 2x2 or 3x3 wireless client. They will link rate at 300 or 450Mbps depending on 2.4/5GHz selection. AC would link even higher

As for your internet speeds they probably pushed the faster speed the minute you requested the upgrade thus you saw the faster speeds. Once you called to cancel if they canceled only the tech visit you will be fine but if the entire order was canceled and reversed you may end up back on blast.

Time will tell.

Also FWIW testing speeds on devices like an iPad or phones are not accurate in anyway. These devices do not have the CPU power to be accurate on these test. I have seen some state higher speeds vs. the provisioned plans even, worse so if they are using speedtest.net flash based tests lol.

gibson4444
@comcast.net

gibson4444

Anon

I called Comcast and they won't waive the fee. They should call it an activation fee, at least for me, that would work better for me. I wasn't having any issues streaming on the performance plan, but my downloads are noticeably faster on the Extreme 105 plan. As far as my wireless network, I have used the inSSIDer tool and I only have 1 other network on channel 1 for my 2.4 GHZ wireless and it has a link rate of 1 to 4. Is there anything I can do to improve my wireless? I will wait a week or so and do other speed tests, but I am pretty sure, Comcast will push the Blast config file to my modem. I have read in here were others had the $249 fee waived, I find that hard to believe,,,, Hopefully, in a few months, Blast subscribers will be upgraded to the Extreme 105 plan???

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by gibson4444 :

I called Comcast and they won't waive the fee. They should call it an activation fee, at least for me, that would work better for me. I wasn't having any issues streaming on the performance plan, but my downloads are noticeably faster on the Extreme 105 plan. As far as my wireless network, I have used the inSSIDer tool and I only have 1 other network on channel 1 for my 2.4 GHZ wireless and it has a link rate of 1 to 4. Is there anything I can do to improve my wireless? I will wait a week or so and do other speed tests, but I am pretty sure, Comcast will push the Blast config file to my modem. I have read in here were others had the $249 fee waived, I find that hard to believe,,,, Hopefully, in a few months, Blast subscribers will be upgraded to the Extreme 105 plan???

If you really want Extreme 105, keep bouncing around CSRs until one gives it to you without the 250 install fee. You obviously looked like you were ok. I've read here that some have had it waved doing that.

Either or wait. I believe another router of speed upgrades will be coming soon, either now or in the coming months and I believe that Blast will be upgraded to 105/20. It'll be the second example I've noticed of the 250 fee not being necessary for a lot of people who were upgraded from 50/10 to 105/20 in the current round of upgrades still making the rounds.

Also, you might want to think about registering for an account here too. It's free.

bradyr
YCCD - Network Operations
Premium Member
join:2008-10-27
Sonora, CA
(Software) pfSense
Netgear CM1200
Ubiquiti UAP-AC-HD

bradyr to gibson4444

Premium Member

to gibson4444
general rule of thumb with any sort of wireless network is your "real-world" speeds or throughput is about 60% of your connect rate (assuming clean channel, full signal strength, yadda yadda).

so, connected at 144Mbps? expect around 75-90Mbps max speed.

connected at 300Mbps? expect around 180Mbps max speed.

so on and so forth.

Having said all of that, typically you want your wireless network settings to be something like: WPA2 Personal, AES security, WMM enabled. if your clients are N only, then make it N only (not mixed mode). on the 2.4GHz band, go with 20MHz channel width and on 5GHz band, go 40MHz channel width.

thats the crib notes version, in my opinion...

gibson4444
@comcast.net

gibson4444

Anon

I am going to buy the Netgear wireless adapter AC6200 for the r6300 router and see how it performs with my laptop. I will also retest my broadband to see if my plan has been downgraded back to Blast. If it has, I will call Comcast again and get Extreme 105 plan. I will spend time calling Comcast and see if I can get a CSR to waive the fee. I have tried 5 times and none of them would waive the fee. I saw consistent hardwired speeds +200, so the thought of getting wireless at +120 really excites me... I have 50+ wireless devices in my home and it is not unusual to have 10 devices in use at the same time. My home is fairly large (7000 SQ FT). The router/cable modem is in the basement, my office is only 10 FT away (wall and door). Question. I still have a Netgear WNDR4500 router. Would I see performance improvements if I used in in AP mode and put on the 2nd floor? May as well do something with it, because I still have it. I don't think there is an option in the r6300 to manipulate the channel width, at least I didn't find it,,,,, I already have WPA2-PSK (AES) and WMM enabled. Hard to fathom I can get 200 Mbps wired from r6300 and the wireless is 23.26 Mbps on 2.4GHz and 41.28 Mbps on 5GHZ. Given I live on an acre lot, and have no other wireless networks around. I think I should be getting a lot better performance on my wireless network. Again, I want to emphasize, we do stream from Netflix/Roku and we can use the Directv Watch Now functionality... I just think my downloads and wireless printing should be lots faster, given my investment in the latest router technology.
gibson4444

gibson4444

Anon

I can confirm that Comcast has switched me back to Blast plan, Download speed is now 9 to 12 Mbps,,, For general web surfing, I see very little difference between the Performance, Blast and Extreme 105 plans. Are the differences mainly in download/upload? I was paying $50 a month for Performance, Blast will be $60, Extreme 105 will be $110. I can get my company to pick up some of the additional cost because I work from home 2 days a week, I am starting to think I wasted my money buying the R6300 and Zoom 5341J,, I had the WNDR4500 and Motorola 5620 - they were working fine. Do you think the $300 investment is worth it?
cferro
join:2003-07-27
Jersey City, NJ

cferro to gibsons4444

to gibsons4444
I would pay the install fee, and enjoy the increased bandwidth, I am sure the fee helps pay for a tech person with a higher skill level.

gibson4444
@comcast.net

gibson4444

Anon

Great news, I was able to get upgrade to the Extreme 105 plan and didn't have to pay install fee. Here's what I did, I call the generic Comcast number and told them I wanted to upgrade again. For some reason, the CSR didn't have the ability to do it. I was told only Technical CSR? could do it. She transferred me to that department. I waited for about 15 minutes, when CSR came on, I told him I called yesterday to cancel the service appointment I had scheduled and the CSR not only cancelled the service appointment, she downgraded my service back to Blast. I told him I had already purchased a new router and cable modem and that I was 100% certain, I was already on the plan because of my speed test. I then told him I was 100% certain, the change could be made immediately without a service appointment by pushing a new config file to router. He agreed and made the change no questions asked. I just checked my account online and I don't have any service appointments scheduled and it shows I am on Extreme 105 plan. I am getting 195 to 225 Mbps hardwired from my Netgear R6300 router. All I can say is it totally depends on the CSR you are dealing with. I just got the Netgear A6200 adapter. Going to install it and see what speeds I can get wireless on 5Ghz network,,,

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

Keep an eye on your bills. It wouldn't be the first time a waived fee was billed later anyway.

gibsons4444
@comcast.net

gibsons4444

Anon

That's a good point, I have my bill on Auto Pay and paperless, going to change both now so I get a bill every month. I installed the A6200 card and I am getting sick speeds on 5GHz Band. Downloads between 205 and 285 Mbps. That's crazy. I am going to buy a few refurbs A6200...... Wish I could update the wireless cards in all my wireless components, LOL
jgraffeo
join:2002-07-18
Salem, VA

jgraffeo to gibsons4444

to gibsons4444
I have the same modem and have been having issues with Comcast. I upgraded about 4 weeks ago to the Extreme 105 service. The tech came in and literally made 3 calls. We couldn't get the modem provisioned correctly so they switched it for a CISCO modem. That seemed to work and I got the stated speeds. I then started getting charged for a rental fee. I plugged my modem ZOOM 5341J in and self-activated. It downloaded a new configuration file and I was getting Extreme speeds for sure. I called and got them to waive the $249 fee because I told them they essentially lied about all this line work and testing they said they were going to do and all they did was push a new boot file. They gave me a credit (2 weeks ago).

Could you confirm your boot file? Mine is showing as d11_m_5341j_widebandblast_... in the event log. I am not certain I have the right file since my speed has dropped in half in the past week. You can find this typically in your event log using the »192.168.100.1/RgEventLog.asp address and the ID and password for your modem. If you haven't changed it, then on that modem it is admin and password. It would be helpful to verify on that specific modem gibsons4444. Thanks in advance.

gibson4444
@comcast.net

gibson4444

Anon

mine is same : d11_m_5341j_widebandblast
jgraffeo
join:2002-07-18
Salem, VA

jgraffeo

Helpful...thanks for that.