uniqs
share rss forum feed

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
kudos:5

Network tester recommemdations

Can anyone recommend me a good network tester? I don't really need it to be able to certify a circuit for specific speeds, though if such a tester can be had cheaply that'd be a plus. Mainly just want something where I can plug a remote module in the far side and the tool can tell which wires are open, short, crossed, etc. It's gonna be for personal use primarily.

I used to have a Test-um brand tester I think it was. I want to say it was bought from Fry's but my dad may have gotten it somewhere else. Not really sure as I don't even know where that tester is now and I'm not sure he does either. Budget wise, I'd say maybe $100 but I could go more if the device had worthwhile features for the cost.

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
»www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-VDV50···k+tester

i don't know if anything in your range, or close to it, will certify a circuit for specific speeds.

JoelC707
Premium
Lanett, AL
That looks good

I'd like to get the case with it and the LAN map kit (19 remotes) looks good, though I'm not sure I'd need it for my personal use. If I used it for new deployments or something it'd be useful. I've been searching ebay for the test-um brand testers and think I've discovered which one he had. It was this one: »www.tequipment.net/TestUmTP600.asp

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:2
reply to JoelC707
No tester at ~$100 is going to certify your cabling.

You will only be able to get a continuity check for that price. Test-Um is my preference for these types of tools. I have an old Ideal brand tester but it only has a single remote. If you are doing a large deployment you should look into a kit that has multiple remotes. Even then you are looking at more than $100.
--
"Treat your men as you would your own beloved sons. And they will follow you into the deepest valley." -Sun Tzu

JoelC707
Premium
Lanett, AL
Yeah I figured I wouldn't get cable certification at that price range. I doubt I really need that feature anyway.

JoelC707
Premium
Lanett, AL
reply to JoelC707
Just for the presumed sticker shock, how much would a tester that can certify cables cost?

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06

1 recommendation

Add another zero or two depending on feature sets.

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:2
reply to JoelC707
Usually $3K-10K, depending on where you source from.