how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hightech

join:2011-01-03
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

[Cable] Does Teksavvy no longer provide Speedboost?

It seems that in the past, when I would do a speed test, I would get an initial speed boost and then it would slow down to speeds over what I subscribe to. Nowadays, it seems that I get no speed boost at all.

Anyone else notice this on the Comstock node using the DCM476 modem?

DavePC

join:2013-08-18
Scarborough, ON
It's been across all TPIA's and apprantly Rogers customers as well.

Think Rogers is turning off Speedboost. Doesn't do much to help the actual connection, just makes speedtests look good.

zolotoiy

join:2010-12-16
Richmond Hill, ON
reply to hightech
Speedboost is available with SB6120 but not DCM476. My first hand exprience

vincom

join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Anveo
·TekSavvy Cable
said by zolotoiy:

Speedboost is available with SB6120 but not DCM476. My first hand exprience

im still getting speedboost on dcm
it depends which speed test I use though

rainor94

join:2009-03-05
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to hightech
I'm not getting speedboost any more. This was my most recent speedtest:

I do think they are working in my area though since I am only bonding 3 upstream channels.

KPaul

join:2007-02-08
reply to hightech
I don't believe I've ever seen in being on TSI cable. Even on rogers cable for a time, didn't see it

buttaknife

join:2007-06-01
reply to hightech
Yea I haven't had speedboost on TekSavvy since all the ATPIA stuff started. Instead, I've been getting SpeedMinimizer, where all your speeds are brought as close to 0 as possible for a good chunk of the day.

highwire

join:2013-08-27
Nepean, ON
said by buttaknife:

Yea I haven't had speedboost on TekSavvy since all the ATPIA stuff started. Instead, I've been getting SpeedMinimizer, where all your speeds are brought as close to 0 as possible for a good chunk of the day.

Ha ha! It's funny because it's true!

BrianON

join:2011-09-30
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to hightech
I still see SpeedBoost on the 6mbps/256kbps package.

tecsys3

join:2009-05-20
Scarborough, ON
reply to hightech
I lost speedboost since ATPIA and upgrading speed profiles.

Not that it really matters... garbage marketing feature.

franklyong
Cisco Geek

join:2004-12-05
Canada
kudos:1
Looks like I just lost mine too. Oh well. It was good for the first couple seconds for downloads, but idc that much.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Speedboost is a Rogers function, not a TekSavvy one. I don't think it has gone, but it certainly has been reduced in extra speed and duration. It does make for fast web page loading, but not of benefit on major downloads.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to hightech
MSOs have been getting rid of Speedboost on most of their speed tiers now that they're fast enough. It doesn't really do much good. There is no point to it even for web page loading when the speed tiers the avg joe goes with is 25Mb or faster.

redrain85

join:2002-06-27
Canada
reply to hightech
Click for full size

Here are some speed tests I did. I'm on the 35/3 speed package.

If we go by Speedtest.net, then it would appear speedboost is gone. But the other speed tests show that not to be the case. Or else the test I did on the Rogers site wouldn't be skewed from 35 up to almost 50 mbps.

I'm guessing that, perhaps, Speedtest.net has implemented a new method to eliminate the skew that speedboost introduces to their test. (I connected to the TekSavvy server, by the way.)

Madwand

join:2002-12-03
Toronto, ON
reply to hightech
Speedboost on 6120 here on Bloor.