share rss forum feed

MIXZ1

join:2001-01-02
Mexico
Reviews:
·Prodigy Infinitum

1 edit

eMachines EL-1200 05W OS Update

I have this old cheapo which basically serves as a host to some external drives that I use for backups and one drive that I use for media streaming. Currently the OS is XP SP3. The internal drive is a 500 GB Seagate and there's 3 GB of RAM installed. It's got an AMD 64 processor.

When trying to update the OS, with either Win 7 or Ubuntu Linux the machine cooperates until the 1st reboot. When it comes back up the video is totally corrupted and the keyboard is locked. I have a suspicion that this is a BIOS problem related to the embedded NVIDIA video and chipset.

Their support site lists 2 newer BIOS downloads but I'm reluctant to flash the BIOS without some advice. Their support site does not provide any guidance and not too many citations can be found on the web. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: The machine passes the MS Win7 compatibility test (Adviser).

asdfdfdfdf

@myvzw.com

What version of ubuntu?

MIXZ1

Mexico

Both 12.04 and 13.04 LTE. Same thing happens with other Linux distros. And I would really prefer getting Win 7 on the machine. The Linux sessions were experiments of last resort.

asdfdfdfdf

@myvzw.com
reply to MIXZ1

Can you boot windows 7 into safe mode?

Did you install the vista chipset drivers and THEN the vista nvidia vga driver from:

»support.gateway.com/us/en/emac/p···lId=1254

MIXZ1

Mexico
Reviews:
·Prodigy Infinitum

said by asdfdfdfdf :

Can you boot windows 7 into safe mode?

Did you install the vista chipset drivers and THEN the vista nvidia vga driver from:

»support.gateway.com/us/en/emac/p···lId=1254

Safe mode doesn't change the problem. I'll get to the drivers tomorrow. Got trapped into rebuilding a friends laptop today. Thanks.

MIXZ1

Mexico

Updated the drivers that I could. Video would not install with a message about it being intended for Vista. NIC installed but lost connectivity. Had to roll back. I think I'm staying with XP.

iowaboy
Premium
join:2004-02-28
Fairfield, IA
reply to MIXZ1

My wife has one also that I upgraded from Vista to Win 7. After I got 7 installed I went to the chipset manufactures site and downloaded new drivers. Same for the video card. Runs great now not that we had any trouble with Vista.

MIXZ1

Mexico
Reviews:
·Prodigy Infinitum

said by iowaboy:

My wife has one also that I upgraded from Vista to Win 7. After I got 7 installed I went to the chipset manufactures site and downloaded new drivers. Same for the video card. Runs great now not that we had any trouble with Vista.

Your machine came with Vista. It's a later iteration of the model with a different BIOS. I can't even do an XP to Vista upgrade. I get the same locked machine and distorted video as I do when I try to install Win 7 or Linux.

Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-06
Norwalk, CT
kudos:1

Just to be safe, I'd FIRST download and run Memtest86+ (either the bootable CD or USB stick flavor), and make absolutely sure that your RAM is 100% healthy. »www.memtest.org

If that's OK, I'd try updating the BIOS to the latest release version, (making SURE that it is applicable to your exact Motherboard revision).

-Tursiops_G.
--
If You're Unsure, "RTFM"... If You're SURE, "RTFM" Anyway.

iowaboy
Premium
join:2004-02-28
Fairfield, IA
Reviews:
·Windstream
·WildBlue
reply to MIXZ1

I agree, Run Memtest as it does sound like a bad memory stick. May be something else also. I have installed Vista and Win 7 on many older E-Machines without any issues. Even some that were running XP and one the person had Win ME. They were glad to get rid of ME LOL. There has to be something that is causing the issue. It just takes time to take everything step by step. Check everything you can. If all fails try a different power supply. I don't think that is the issue but one thing I have found out one can not stop checking till the problem is resolved.

MIXZ1

Mexico
Reviews:
·Prodigy Infinitum

Thanks for the reply. But I have a question: Is the installation of Win 7 any more demanding that the installation of XP? During these experiments I've hosed the installed XP OS several times, usually by corrupting hal.dll. Rather than copying over a new hal.dll and dealing with Windows.old I just wipe the disk and re-install XP SP3. It never fails.

Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-06
Norwalk, CT
kudos:1

This works with XP, but fails similarly with both Win7 and Ubuntu? Are these all 32-bit or 64-bit OS versions?

The only thing that I can think of is that Win7, Win8 (and all *nix OSes as well) handle memory mapping a bit differently than XP/2K does...

Taking a SWAG, That may possibly expose a flaw in the RAM (or in the BIOS) that doesn't show up so readily in XP... (?)

-Tursiops_G.
--
If You're Unsure, "RTFM"... If You're SURE, "RTFM" Anyway.

MIXZ1

Mexico

Thanks for the reply. It's all 32-bit. I'll run a memtest as soon as I can free the machine up and report back.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to MIXZ1

At least when it comes to overclocking, Vista and newer are known to be less tolerant than XP. I'd imagine this would also apply to a stock PC. In that case, it would point to a hardware defect or incompatibility.

I'd definitely run Memtest86+ for a day or so. Is there a video card you can try as well?
--
KI6RIT

MIXZ1

Mexico
Reviews:
·Prodigy Infinitum

said by n_w95482:

I'd definitely run Memtest86+ for a day or so. Is there a video card you can try as well?

Memtest + has been running for 9 hours as I write this. I'll let it go the full 24. Finding a half height video card to play with (everything is half height or on the mobo) here in Cancun is an impossibility.