Need for Speed
Premium
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Upgrades?

It's been some time, that I made one of these posts, so figured it was time...

The news is always filled with news of other isps rolling out upgrades. Sometimes free other times not.

Where are MY upgrades?

I've been stuck on 50/3 for quite some time, waiting for 107/5 or even more speeds to roll out in this area. So far, nothing

I bought a new modem, also some time ago now, to support 8/4 channel bonding, and to my disappointment it still hasn't been rolled out here...

So the big question is WHEN....?

I fear it may not be when but if ever...
--
What the heck is a GatorKram? »www.gatorkram.com

dhudson1984

join:2008-01-04
Charleston, WV
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
I don't see them upgrading speed wise for a while, unless they're in competition with any FTTH providers. D 3.1 is another good year or two out and that will probably be the next biggest upgrade that they will start on if they decide to go that route, which is most likely.

dhudson1984

join:2008-01-04
Charleston, WV
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to gatorkram
If it were me being in charge of the company, I would definitely be taking the FTTH route with the services and at least start on some pilot projects in the bigger markets in the next year or so to see how well it actually goes before deciding to convert everything. They do fiber runs for businesses, so why not just step up and offer it residential too since you can have practically all the speed and reliability you could ever want for the future with fiber... not to mention any extra services such as cloud based.

moldypickle
Premium
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
From a business standpoint, it makes literally zero sense to scrap existing infrastructure just to put in ftth. Greenfield installs, sure, but for a mass conversion,,,,,, I doubt any of us will EVER see that. And I'm almost positive that when they do a dedicated fiber run to a business account, some or all of the install cost is accrued on the customer. Then beyond the simple cost of replacing an ENTIRE network, there's also the fact that the vast majority of any isp customers just aren't using that much bandwidth. Nor would they be willing to see their bill quadruple or more to cover the cost of such a MASSIVE buildout of fiber. The users here that would actually notice/care/desire a fiber system just aren't the majority. I wouldn't even be surprised if we didn't even amount to half of a percent of users. Basically, a cable company isn't going to replace with ftth for a long time, if ever.

I do agree though that I doubt any speed upgrades will happen before Doc3.1.

Gator, don't forget that the entire footprint hasn't even made it to Doc3 yet, which means customers still stuck at a MAX of 15 megs, likely less. We did get a speed bump last year I believe (for Doc 3 markets) and Doc 3 itself isn't but a couple years old. That aside, do you actually WANT a down speed increase when the cap probably won't increase? I'm all for an upload increase though, lol. To join you, Comcast next door to me is offering about 3x the upload speed with the same download speed as I have.... Better price too, lol
--
50/3 Suddenlink : Current
5/1 CMA : Old
15/2 TWC : Old

TurboNerd

join:2013-02-22
Clovis, NM
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to gatorkram
Guess who's back to check up on the parents stuff
100 days no issues since last reboot and that was because they needed to reboot to link the caller id to the cable box.

But anyhow

Come on Gator I KNOW FOR A FACT YOU SEEN THE VIDEO where their infrastructure upgrades are done and its time to reap the profits.
Of course that's bad business sense but so is putting a cap on internet, lie to customers with a ridiculously low average user when the 250 is the real average just to reap more money from ignorant people who don't go door to door asking people and informing people who don't know about the cap or their own usage let alone be lied to by their own data meters (again that's my market may not be yours).
And you expect upgrades from them. They only have 8 unused channels out of the 1Ghz they are allotted here in NM. and their network is oversold as it is
Yes they have 70 analog channels they can remove and go all digital and open up channels for more Docsis info and be able to do the 107. but that is my experience here where they oversold the channels.

I don't know if they have analog channels where you live but just shutting those down and replacing them is cheaper than in an area where they are already all digital and taxed their channels out so either they have to bring in even more than just headend equipment where you live and break up the areas into smaller chunks to make the same buck I doubt that will happen to get you to the 107 speeds
esp if what he said was true and "the time for upgrades are over" and more than a ploy to increase the price of and to sell stock.

Here in clovis the alternative is more expensive slower 20symetrical fiber @ $4/Mbit and gigabit business. but not going to pay a grand to bring the cost per mb down to a dollar. but here the 15 mbit plan is $3 and it goes down to 1.50/mb I think for the 50 mbit plan.

People are moving to plateautel fiber for their word of mouth reliability no way of knowing how reliable but I have had no problems. although the ghetto areas are still holding on to suddenlink because its cheaper and they share the bill amongst themselves to get even cheaper. until they fix their data meter issue here. but I think that's a hardware/software incompatibility bug that will take a while since clovis is always behind the rest of the world but we caught up here recently.

Cant wait till plateau brings 300 channel IPTV to clovis WAY cheaper than Suddenlik does. it'll offset the cost of their internet but their internet speed will go up with just a flip of a switch. They can go gigabit cheaply but are keeping with the price point suddenlink/cox has set and recouping their costs since they are MOM and POP. But They are planning for the future vs overselling their network and giving us a D3 modem to alleviate the oversold channels that docsis 2 can bond too just to make us happy. My neighbor has 50 Megabit and the channels are oversold for that speed glad the parents got 15 or I would be back here on here more often.

I already am thinking about getting a po box so I can subscribe to them in another town and bring the box down here. Internet is internet no matter where it is. Just the regulations keep them up north but its "coming soon" to clovis but how long soon is can be years away.