spc
Search similar:

uniqs

jobapplicant
@sunwave.com.br

jobapplicant

Anon

Things I hate (as worker/applicant) with managers/businesses

1. They said the job you had would be long term, but then you were let go after only a week for unknown reason
2. They posted one job description, only to find out they were looking for different skill sets
3. They said you were the strongest candidate, but then they hired less-qualified one
4. They only considered for 100%-matched skill-set candidates even though you were 80 to 90%-matched skill set
5. They relied on HR as first-line screener for some specialized job opening even when the HR had no qualification to understand such job requirement
6. They looked for candidates with lots of highly skill sets (senior position), but only was willing to pay junior-position salary
7. They expected you to accomplish lots of things without providing you with necessary facilities, tools, or budgets. When things went wrong, they complained or even screamed.
8. They never understood how technology or IT infrastructure support could cost almost as high as the prospective income they could get from some business opportunities in order to meet SLA
9. They only saw computer or IT as monitor, keyboard, and mouse; overlooked the underlying infrastructure support
10. They saw computer or IT as magic box or solution that had to meet 100% SLA without necessary budget support

Feel free to add your own rants to the list
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG

Premium Member

I take it you're in the IT sector. There's a reason I decided not to venture into IT.

First of all, pretty much every business out there needs IT in some shape or form. What this means is you have businesses seeking to hire IT support that don't know anything about IT. As you said: "monitor, keyboard, and mouse". How are they supposed to have a proper hiring process and applicant screening if they know nothing of the actual job?

Since they don't understand IT, they expect you to work miracles with a low-ball salary, lack of proper tools, resources, and budget.

There's also no shortage of applicants in IT. Lots of people fresh out of (insert educational institution) all the time. Makes it hard to get your foot in the door with a decent employer, as such employers will often be looking for a hefty amount of experience rather than just credentials.

To all that I said "no thanks" and steered clear of IT.
billydunwood
join:2008-04-23
united state

billydunwood to jobapplicant

to jobapplicant
The thing I hate with businesses, is when the Manager does significantly less than the average employee. They are getting paid more than the worker/employee, they should be doing more work not less.

Management
@rr.com

Management

Anon

said by billydunwood:

The thing I hate with businesses, is when the Manager does significantly less than the average employee. They are getting paid more than the worker/employee, they should be doing more work not less.

Really!

As the name implies a manager, manages.

Just as a company president is not there to " do more work".

They are both there to make sure the people they are responsible for, do their jobs.

Someone who has never been in a management position would not have a clue as to the time and effort involved.
billydunwood
join:2008-04-23
united state

billydunwood

said by Management :

said by billydunwood:

Really!

As the name implies a manager, manages.

Just as a company president is not there to " do more work".

They are both there to make sure the people they are responsible for, do their jobs.

Someone who has never been in a management position would not have a clue as to the time and effort involved.

I have been in a management position and know many who are also/have been. For example, I frequently dine at Ihop resturaunt. I always see the manager either standing around or sitting down on his phone and eating. Whether I come in at 10,12 or 3 it happens. I also told him about a problem in the bathroom, and a week later it wasn't fixed. Meanwhile all his "employees" are working their ass off.
TheMG
Premium Member
Canada

TheMG

Premium Member

There are good managers and there are bad/lazy ones.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to TheMG

to TheMG
said by TheMG:

as such employers will often be looking for a hefty amount of experience rather than just credentials.

And thank god for that because "IT credentials" don't mean squat. Most of the jobs I've seen outside of basic helpdesk type stuff want 5+ years of progressive and relevant IT experience. It does make it tough to get your foot in the door, sure, but it also keeps the door from getting jammed up with professional test takers who don't know how things actually work in the real world.

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen

Premium Member

said by Moffetts:

said by TheMG:

as such employers will often be looking for a hefty amount of experience rather than just credentials.

And thank god for that because "IT credentials" don't mean squat. Most of the jobs I've seen outside of basic helpdesk type stuff want 5+ years of progressive and relevant IT experience. It does make it tough to get your foot in the door, sure, but it also keeps the door from getting jammed up with professional test takers who don't know how things actually work in the real world.

I had someone leave me a nasty voice mail once over something like that. He had a degree and his best experience was working on friends/family's machines. He was pissed when someone leaked to him that I had hired a guy with no degree and 10+ years of real experience.

Odd though, I called him back twice to tell him straight why I chose the other guy but he never picked up or returned my calls.

BG5150
join:2008-08-14
New York, NY

BG5150 to jobapplicant

to jobapplicant
said by jobapplicant :

1. They said the job you had would be long term, but then you were let go after only a week for unknown reason
2. They posted one job description, only to find out they were looking for different skill sets
3. They said you were the strongest candidate, but then they hired less-qualified one
4. They only considered for 100%-matched skill-set candidates even though you were 80 to 90%-matched skill set
5. They relied on HR as first-line screener for some specialized job opening even when the HR had no qualification to understand such job requirement
6. They looked for candidates with lots of highly skill sets (senior position), but only was willing to pay junior-position salary
7. They expected you to accomplish lots of things without providing you with necessary facilities, tools, or budgets. When things went wrong, they complained or even screamed.
8. They never understood how technology or IT infrastructure support could cost almost as high as the prospective income they could get from some business opportunities in order to meet SLA
9. They only saw computer or IT as monitor, keyboard, and mouse; overlooked the underlying infrastructure support
10. They saw computer or IT as magic box or solution that had to meet 100% SLA without necessary budget support

Feel free to add your own rants to the list

1. Couldv'e been a lot of reasons for that. Shitty attitude, perhaps?
3. How would you know someone is less qualified? Did you have access to their resume and interview transcript?
4. I want someone to do a job. Not 80-90% of it.
5. Welcome to corporate America.
6. They are hoping you will grow with the company and eventually move into the senior position. And, "highly skill set"? Maybe communications isn't your strong suit.
7. See #5
8. Nope. No they don't. Enlighten them. Then be prepared to be let go for no apparent reason a week later.
9. Their loss.
10. See #5.
02778712 (banned)
join:2013-07-08
MA

02778712 (banned) to billydunwood

to billydunwood
said by billydunwood:

I've been making more then my managers for over a decade. You'd be surprised how many make the same or less than their employees.
TheMG
Premium Member
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to Moffetts

Premium Member

to Moffetts
said by Moffetts:

said by TheMG:

And thank god for that because "IT credentials" don't mean squat.

Yeah. A place where I had a summer job several years ago (as an electronics technologist) hired a new head for their IT department. They made the mistake of hiring a guy that had all sorts of credentials, but virtually no relevant experience.

Hell, the guy didn't even know how to use active directory! And he is supposed to manage a Windows domain?!?!?

Sad thing is they could have promoted one of their own technicians to the job of head administrator. The guy had several years of experience doing this kind of work and really knew what he was doing, but had none of the credentials/certificates.

Yay for completely clueless HR department!
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to Cthen

to Cthen
"Phone cajones" strikes again, it soundsl ike.
02778712 (banned)
join:2013-07-08
MA

02778712 (banned) to TheMG

to TheMG
said by TheMG:

said by Moffetts:

said by TheMG:

And thank god for that because "IT credentials" don't mean squat.

Yeah. A place where I had a summer job several years ago (as an electronics technologist) hired a new head for their IT department. They made the mistake of hiring a guy that had all sorts of credentials, but virtually no relevant experience.

Hell, the guy didn't even know how to use active directory! And he is supposed to manage a Windows domain?!?!?

Sad thing is they could have promoted one of their own technicians to the job of head administrator. The guy had several years of experience doing this kind of work and really knew what he was doing, but had none of the credentials/certificates.

Yay for completely clueless HR department!

New employees are always a gamble. Turnover is the #1 most costly thing to a company. Experience/certs really makes no difference. It's the person who needs to demonstrate that experience or certs translate to real world use. I've seen people with 10 years experience who learned it wrong so are worthless and I've seen people with tons of certs who only know textbook stuff. People like to justify stuff so we get these inaccurate opinions like certs aren't that good or experience is king. You need to hire the right person regardless of experience or certs in reality. You can teach people how to do technical stuff that comes from experience or certs but you can't teach them life skills or change their personality.