share rss forum feed

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

2 edits

Finns think they took it in the neck on this deal

Finns think that MS used ex MS exec running Nokia to degrade their product to get an easy buyout target.

»www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/···20130903

Nokia's Canadian boss Stephen Elop, who ran Microsoft's business software division before jumping to Nokia in 2010, will return to the U.S. firm as head of its mobile devices business - a Trojan horse, according to disgruntled Finnish media.

He is being discussed as a possible replacement for Microsoft's retiring CEO Steve Ballmer, who is trying to remake the U.S. firm into a gadget and services company like Apple before he departs, though it has fallen short so far in its attempts to compete in mobile devices. As part of Microsoft, Elop will head an expanded Devices unit. Julie Larson-Green, who in July was promoted to head a new Devices and Studios business in Ballmer's reorganization, will report to Elop when the deal is closed.

In three years under Elop, Nokia saw its market share collapse and its share price shrivel.

In 2011, after writing a memo that said Nokia lacked the in-house technology and needed to jump off a "burning platform", Elop made the controversial decision to use Microsoft's Windows Phone for smartphones, rather than Nokia's own software or Google's ubiquitous Android operating system.

Nokia, which had 40 percent of the handset market in 2007, now has just 15 percent, and only 3 percent in smartphones.

For many Finns, the fact that a former Microsoft executive had come to Nokia, bet the firm's future on an alliance with Microsoft, laid off about 40,000 worldwide and then delivered it into Microsoft's hands, was a galling snub to national pride.

Everywhere Elop goes, companies fall apart.
--
"If you want to anger a conservative lie to him.
If you want to anger a liberal tell him the truth."

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2
Nokia + Microsoft = an indestructible phone that locks up and blue screens daily.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to FFH5
They would be right.

Dodge
Premium
join:2002-11-27

1 recommendation

reply to Camelot One
As opposed to Apple's flimsy shatter prone phone with reliable but ultimately useless OS? Or Samsung's plastic wonder? Or android in general that works great on the latest phone's, but as time goes by and more "updates" are added the phone becomes less and less usable?

They all have their problems, enough with the BSOD bitching already.

Uncle Paul

join:2003-02-04
USA
kudos:1
reply to FFH5
Yea that makes sense. We'll degrade your product by putting our OS on it so we can buy it at a lower price and keep putting our OS on it.

If memory serves, MS helped keep Nokia afloat with some pretty large infusions of cash from the exclusive OS offering.

Uncle Paul

USA

1 recommendation

reply to Camelot One
said by Camelot One:

Nokia + Microsoft = an indestructible phone that locks up and blue screens daily.

Funny how my iPhone 4 required more reboots than my Nokia WP has. Do you get a lot of lock ups with your WP?

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2
said by Uncle Paul:

said by Camelot One:

Funny how my iPhone 4 required more reboots than my Nokia WP has. Do you get a lot of lock ups with your WP?

I was just poking fun at the accepted norm for each company. Nokia being the manufacturer of phone hardware that can survive the Apocalypse, and Microsoft being unable to make bug free software.
--
Intel i7-2600k /ASRock P67 Extreme4 /4x 4Gb G.Skill /2x Intel 510 series 250Gb SSD /3x WD20EADS 2TB /2x PNY GTX 260 /Silverstone 850W /Custom water cooler /Antec Twelve-Hundred

Uncle Paul

USA
Yea I guess I just question whether that's really the norm these days. WP real challenge is apps.. not the stability of the OS. Yea I know that's not the ancient joke about BSOD.. but at some level that's like making fun of Ford for the Pinto.

In other news... Uncle Paul is found to literally suck the fun out of a room.

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
Even making fun of Ford for Pinto doesn't really quite capture it. It's more like the fatal rollover problem Ford Explorer's experienced that many believe were caused by failure of Firestone tires.

BSODs were often caused by poor hardware drivers. Granted, Microsoft's NT architecture, which allowed drivers to run in privileged OS rings, didn't help matters but I believe they did this to gain performance. In the NT days, x86 processors weren't anywhere near as powerful as even today's most anemic smart phone processors.

Jim Gurd
Premium
join:2000-07-08
Livonia, MI
said by rradina:

It's more like the fatal rollover problem Ford Explorer's experienced that many believe were caused by failure of Firestone tires.

For the record, it was because Ford told drivers to set the tires at 26 PSI instead of 35 and the tires overheated as a result causing blowouts.

jseymour

join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

1 recommendation

reply to FFH5
said by FFH5:

Finns think that MS used ex MS exec running Nokia to degrade their product to get an easy buyout target.

Or it could merely be typical Microsoft blind arrogance. Mind you: The current mobile platform, which has so far been a dismal failure, is their third attempt. The company does not know how to do small, light and fast. Hell, they don't know how to do small, light or fast.

Look at the MS-Win tablets: Your choices are a neutered device that hasn't enough memory left, after the bloated Win8 install, with which to do anything, and a version that's expensive, heavy, runs hot and has too short a battery life.

But it could easily have been a scam, too, as the Finns think. MS and "dirty tricks" are not strangers, by any stretch of the imagination.

said by FFH5:

Everywhere Elop goes, companies fall apart.

Another Carly Fiorina?

Anyway: I lol'd when I heard the story on the way into work this morning. Sad for Nokia. Sad for the Finns. But funny, in a perverse sort of a way. "Company's failing. Win8 will save you!" Yeah, right.

Jim

elios

join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO
reply to FFH5
News that Ballmer wants Elop to be next CEO at MS ....
»news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-576010···oft-ceo/

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
said by elios:

News that Ballmer wants Elop to be next CEO at MS ....
»news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-576010···oft-ceo/

That would be a big mistake for MS. Elop is at least a jinx and at most incompetent.
--
"If you want to anger a conservative lie to him.
If you want to anger a liberal tell him the truth."

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
reply to Jim Gurd
True but Ford did the same thing with the Goodyear tires. However, Goodyear added an extra polyester belt to prevent tread separation.

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL

2 recommendations

reply to FFH5
I have been a great fan of Nokia phones- still using one- and it is truly sad to see how an excellent company has been destroyed within a few years. But, with Elop going back to MS they are going to get what they deserve.