uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jazzemt

join:2009-02-12
USA
reply to rd1144

Re: [CATV] All-digital conversion coming to the Carolinas

said by rd1144:

So why cant charter and other cable companies just convert all the channels to digital and broadcast the existing analog channels in clear qam (unencrypted) for standard definition? That way people who dont use a box now or those who dont want a box can continue to get the same channels they were getting just now everyone needs to have a digital tv.

Simple. Theft. Yes there is still that much theft out there and the areas that have gone all digital have stopped losing video customers and have gained quite a bit of subscribers.

NorCal John

join:2006-02-18
Crescent City, CA
reply to 88615298

Never said that Charter should NOT upgrade. My comment is that if their service becomes more expensive and less convenient then I don't want such an upgrade. I'm going to try an OTA antennae and if that is satisfactory to me, I'll cancel cable TV.

Charter makes its decisions on what is best for Charter and I'll decide on what is best for me. It is their business and I decide whether or not to buy from them.

mdavej

join:2004-06-09
united state
reply to blackcap95

I agree that the move to encrypt everything is mostly motivated by greed. They could easily keep basic cable in the clear after the digital conversion, but they choose not to. They could let you buy a box rather than rent one, but they choose not to.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

said by mdavej:

I agree that the move to encrypt everything is mostly motivated by greed. They could easily keep basic cable in the clear after the digital conversion, but they choose not to. They could let you buy a box rather than rent one, but they choose not to.

OK what percentage of customers only want basic cable? 1%? Most of those can use an antenna which is FREE. I'm not sure why someone who only wants the networks would pay charter $30 a month for them when an antenna can get hem in for $0 a month. Once again this is an overblown issue.

Killa200
Premium
join:2005-12-02
Southeast TN
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to blackcap95

Some of the scrambling may be greed driven, but from the other side of this equation I'll tell you some of it is also content company driven. A decent amount of the content companies, especially if we are talking HD feeds, require CATV providers to not only encrypt, but divulge the method and prove that the encryption is in place and working (sometimes by content company auditors showing up on site) before turning the digital output segment of the receiver on in the CATV company's head ends.

They manage to gain the right to do this as the digital out feed isn't part of the original contract for content, and is another contract, or an amendment to the existing.

NorCal John

Crescent City, CA
reply to 88615298

I don't know about the situation where you live. I live in a remote rural area. Just about everybody either has cable or satellite to get anything.

KEET-TV (PBS) has a translator (repeater) somewhat close by.

I'm going to see if I can get good reception of that and if my landlord doesn't object to my antennae on the outside. Two big IFs. Lots of other hilly or mountainous areas also have trouble getting reception even in urban areas.

said by 88615298:

mixdup

join:2003-06-28
Calera, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to rd1144

said by rd1144:

So why cant charter and other cable companies just convert all the channels to digital and broadcast the existing analog channels in clear qam (unencrypted) for standard definition?

Because the number of people using clear QAM in a given market can probably be counted on two hands, maybe two feet in bigger cities. One gigantic advantage to the cable company is that going all-digital with addressable receivers means that if you shut down your service, they no longer have to come put a filter on your line or physically remove you from their system. They just disable your receiver. That will save them incredible amounts of money on truck rolls for connect/disconnects.

said by rd1144:

While I still have an analog tv in my garage, as a customer I would rather have to buy a digital tv then rent a box

You are probably part of a very very small minority. Not all TVs do QAM, and most people want all their channels, most of which won't be in the clear. The only thing they would ever put in the clear would be broadcast. Programmers would never in a billion years allow unencrypted digital feeds of their HD channels to be broadcast.

bshelly
Premium
join:2002-02-17
Conover, NC

They will want to terminate any ports which are no longer in use. I'm guessing a complete termination of services will still require a truck roll.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to NorCal John

said by NorCal John:

I don't know about the situation where you live. I live in a remote rural area. Just about everybody either has cable or satellite to get anything.

So do I and I get in maybe one station reliably. However I'm not gong to use my particular situation and them apply that the all or the majority of Charter customers because I know that's not the case.

You said yourself you get satellite. Ok so how come you aren't bashing them for requiring a box on every TV and not providing just the locals only?

The fact is for example say St Louis. If one just wants locals one doesn't need Charter. The overwhelmingly vast majority of Charter customers in St Louis could easily get them in via antenna.

As I said even if they left only locals in clear QAM, how many just want locals? I suspect the number is under 1%. Most people that don't currently use a box want EXPANDED basic not just locals. So to say to just keep locals on clear QAM and that solves some sort of issue it doesn't. The vast majority of those that aren't currently using a box will still have to use one if they want to get in their expanded basic channels.

mixdup

join:2003-06-28
Calera, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to bshelly

The reduction in truck rolls was specifically highlighted by Comcast as a reason to move to an all-digital, all-encrypted system. There would obviously still be situations where they would need to send someone out, but there would be a drastic reduction.

Drop TV but keep internet? No more sending someone to put a filter on.
Didn't pay your bill and getting disconnected? Probably wouldn't send someone out to physically disconnect, since they could provide "better" service and turn you back on immediately when you pay
Downgrade from the ultimate pack to basic? No truck roll. Upgrade from basic to ultimate? no truck roll.
Apartment complex? No truck roll.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
reply to blackcap95

Why does this always have to be about greed? Cable boxes have been around for decades on many systems for HBO and alike. But as BF said- Telcos, DBS and others require STBs- including Google but yet it's evil for cable to do this just because those hand full of people claim its greed? Why have double standards on who can and can not protect their business from theft? It's their right and they have the power and legal stance to do so- just as they can refuse business to you.

Saul

@charter.com

I do not understand why so many people are complaining about Charter finally getting rid of Analog when Analog should be shut off around 2004. People are saying Charter is doing this on purpose so people could rent their Cable Boxes but as others said Charter is not the only one doing these and satellite companies have been doing this for a long and no one seems to complain about them. Others also brought up how Charter is expensive, you really think Charter is the only cable company overpriced? I for one am happy in CA finally going to be Digital and hopefully it will stop some of the issues Analog causes and excited for all the channels that will be added for the price we are paying for. In the end it is not Charters fault that people still want stay with old technology but the customers who believe there is some sort of agenda behind this.

rodney118

@bellsouth.net

Not complaining about losing the analog, but not looking forward to six POS Motorola cable boxes. I suspect that's what most people are dreading. The Dish hardware we used to have was smaller, worked better and didn't lockup veryfrequently. Also, the RF remotes really helped sharing boxes with a secondary TV.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH

Charter could use the small boxes as well- such as the ones Comcast and WOW are using.

Premium
West Tenness

said by TBBroadband:

Charter could use the small boxes as well- such as the ones Comcast and WOW are using.

Maybe someone can confirm that they do. Charter websites has a DCT 700 listed as equipment that they use. Of course those small box are strictly SD.

mdavej

united state
reply to blackcap95

Transition won't affect me one bit. I'll still be using a house full of these and paying a grand total of $2 in equipment fees:
»cetoncorp.com/products/echo/

Those of you tired of getting reamed should consider the alternatives available. I did, and now I'm saving at least $40/month and don't have to use or pay for a single crappy Motorola cable box or DVR. I have whole home DVR access on any TV in my house and the interface is every bit as nice as Dish or DirecTV.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to 88615298

that is the box that Comcast and WOW use if you do not rent a regular STB.

Premium
West Tenness

said by TBBroadband:

that is the box that Comcast and WOW use if you do not rent a regular STB.

and that box is listed on Charters website as one they use.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to mdavej

said by mdavej:

Those of you tired of getting reamed should consider the alternatives available. I did, and now I'm saving at least $40/month and don't have to use or pay for a single crappy Motorola cable box or DVR. I have whole home DVR access on any TV in my house and the interface is every bit as nice as Dish or DirecTV.

I save tons by not having a DVR period. Hard to find anything to watch let alone want to record anymore. On the flip side if one needs 4 DVRS for whatever reason $20 a month isn't bad. That's $5 each for the service.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to 88615298

those things are so small. they can be hiding without a problem behind a tv and even wall mounted with 3M's wall mounting strips for pictures.

mdavej

united state

Looks identical to my tuning adapter (Motorola MTR 700), about the size of your average cable modem. But if you mounted it behind a TV it wouldn't work because IR couldn't reach it. Still has a nice low profile though.

mdavej

united state
reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

I save tons by not having a DVR period. Hard to find anything to watch let alone want to record anymore. On the flip side if one needs 4 DVRS for whatever reason $20 a month isn't bad. That's $5 each for the service.

That's definitely an option. I can't find much worth recording or watching these days either. But the wife and kids manage to keep my 3TB DVR drive pretty full anyway.

I can handle $2/month for a DVR, but $20 is just too much IMO. My satellite DVR steadily rose from $7 years ago (back when cable DVRs were $15), to $25 today, which is identical to the cost of one DVR on Charter.

Hopefully this new cloud DVR thing will be a little cheaper, but I'm not holding my breath.

NorCal John

Crescent City, CA
reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

You said yourself you get satellite. Ok so how come you aren't bashing them for requiring a box on every TV and not providing just the locals only?

I never said I get satellite. I had DirecTV years ago and between them making a royal screw-up when I moved and not much to watch I cancelled the service and left the stuff behind when I moved.

I get lots of advertisements from Dish touting only $19.99/month. Then I start reading the small print. That's only for the first year of a multi-year commitment with hefty cancellation fees. NO thanks.

If OTA doesn't work I may just say no to broadcast TV and stream or download everything.

You may make a different decision. Others have.

Premium
West Tenness

said by NorCal John:

I had DirecTV years ago and between them making a royal screw-up when I moved and not much to watch I cancelled the service and left the stuff behind when I moved.

And no where do you say your complaint with DirecTv is the requiring a box. Charter does it and they are the devil. Curious.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3

the only bad thing about Charter's boxes is the fact they killed
Multiroom DVR and you no longer can have the home networked together using the boxes throughout the home. Not to mention the Tivo experiment being called off here in North Texas.

said by 88615298:

said by NorCal John:

I had DirecTV years ago and between them making a royal screw-up when I moved and not much to watch I cancelled the service and left the stuff behind when I moved.

And no where do you say your complaint with DirecTv is the requiring a box. Charter does it and they are the devil. Curious.

met_fan

join:2010-08-08
Easthampton, MA
reply to 88615298

Obviously it is subjective, but I find much more quality television is on now than ever before, with the expansion of original programming by so many cable networks. Of course, I also use on demand and things like HBOGO now to cut down on dvr use.

NorCal John

Crescent City, CA
reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

So???

Read my prior posts on this.

megarock

join:2001-06-28
Catawissa, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to blackcap95

The #1 reason it's happening is so they don't have to worry about signal theft anymore. Period. No more manpower on running around connecting and disconnecting customers...internet, cable and phone can all be killed from a keyboard.

The rest of the reason may be for more bandwidth headroom but there are few channels out there not already on their lineup left and there are few more HD channels worth having. No more theft and no more manpower on disconnects...millions will be saved.

That's why it's happening.

Premium
West Tenness

said by megarock:

The rest of the reason may be for more bandwidth headroom but there are few channels out there not already on their lineup left and there are few more HD channels worth having.

Well one they don't have either Extra Innings or Center Ice in HD. You're talking about having to convert 6-8 analog channels to digital accomplish that. Also plenty of channels in the 100s-200's that are digital but don't have an HD version.

mdavej

united state
reply to blackcap95

New lineup posted for Greenville, SC:
»www.charter.com/Digital-Now/down···ical.pdf

Looks really good, with tons of new HD channels. Beats the pants off satellite and U-verse and just about every other provider in the country.