how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mikefxu

join:2004-10-05
Titusville, FL

Deploying Windows 8?

I guess you have to be a paid member to resurrect old threads.

»Deploying Windows 8?

Anyone's status with Windows 8 change? I have mostly ignored it, few people (personal not business) I have setup I installed Classic Shell for them. Think I will attempt to embrace it when 8.1 comes out. Don't think Microsoft is going to vary from the path they are on.

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
kudos:5
Nah, gotta be a mod according to justin See Profile to resurrect old threads. I tried and I can't reply to it either.

As for Windows 8, I just made the plunge on my personal desktop a couple of days ago. I did it primarily because I got tired of doing RDP to a server 2012 machine just to manage my new servers.

I still have three XP Pro systems that I need to do something with. They will likely be getting Windows 7 instead of Windows 8. I'm actually considering doing a VDI type of deployment for them but I need to make sure my apps can run properly on that system. I may not do it anyway as it's probably a lot of overhead for only ~4 remotely accessible user systems.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to mikefxu
said by mikefxu:

Anyone's status with Windows 8 change?

Still completely off the table for any corporations and government entities I'm involved with. As in a 'no way in hell' kind of situation.

Companies are still selling business oriented systems with Windows 7 Professional preloaded as well, like HP with their Elitebook and Probook lines and Dell with their Precision lines.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
reply to mikefxu
Been using it on my ElitePad 900 for work .... It's more bearable in tablet form. Traveling with just the tablet and not the laptop is fabulous.

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to mikefxu
I tried it back before release, and No, I'm not turning my laptop(s) into a cellphone. I'll look at 8.1 when I have the spare time, but for now, XP is staying on my main laptop and win7 on the new one. (someday I may have time to transition to the new laptop.)

[Edit: for the record, my main work desktop is still an old dell running XP, despite having a much newer, faster, better HP running win7.]

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
reply to mikefxu
Nah, upgrading to Win 7 Pro.

Made a ton of progress this year between new PC deployments, and memory upgrades & reimaging existing PC's. Setup WDS and basically created a golden image in vmware workstation, snapshot it sysprep it, boot off network and run WDS Capture, then deploy it.

Now we did buy the WIN8 PRO VL for our upgrades but you get the key and downgrade rights for 7, so were KMS activating 7.

Only about 20 XP machines to go.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2
reply to mikefxu
I have it on a desktop, touch screen laptop, and a VM, but only because I need to stay familiar with it. Anytime I need to be productive on those systems, I run Start8 to make it look like Win7.

Even though you can still order new systems with Win7, I am getting a lot of business from companies who bought Win8 machines and want them "upgraded" to Win7. I certainly can't imagine anyone paying to move existing Win7 systems to Win8.

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA
kudos:1
reply to mikefxu
I just got my volume license all set for around 600 copies of Windows 8 for our network upgrade next year.

All downgraded to Windows 7 thank you very much (I think the second line of my signature covers it) ((WTH did the sigs go?))

cramer
Premium
Raleigh, NC
By then, it'll be 8.1.

The WeaseL
Premium
join:2001-12-03
Minnesota
reply to mikefxu
Big ole bucket of nope on that one.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
reply to cramer
Even if I wanted to go 8.1, sounds like I'd have to install 8, then do an update on top of 8. No image to go directly to 8.1! Big mistake from M$. We're sticking with 7. MAYBE I'll put 8.1 on my laptop, but why when 7 works great.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
reply to The WeaseL
said by The WeaseL:

Big ole bucket of nope on that one.

Big ol tanker of no way in h***

I had to setup a 2012 server but NWIH are we going to use Win8 or 8.1
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
reply to mikefxu
My opinion is the same as it was in the original thread, except that now I'm getting my giggles in the afternoon instead of the morning. In six months, let's do this thread again, except at night.

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA
reply to mikefxu
You really gotta wonder how much longer MS will keep up the curse of "every other OS" is pure $41t

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
well they just broke the cycle 8.1 is also pure crap, so that's 2 in a row
--
semper idem

cramer
Premium
Raleigh, NC
8.1 isn't really a new OS... it's a "patch" over the smelly old Windows 8 everyone completely hates. Just like Win7 was (mostly) a whitewash of the vile Vista. (it's actually 6.1 if you type "ver")

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
said by cramer:

8.1 isn't really a new OS... it's a "patch" over the smelly old Windows 8 everyone completely hates. Just like Win7 was (mostly) a whitewash of the vile Vista. (it's actually 6.1 if you type "ver")

Exactly but 8.1 is still crap

Atleast 6.1 made it usable.
--
semper idem

gudel
System Lord
Premium
join:2004-06-03
USA
reply to mikefxu
The more I use it, the more I hate it. I do have it on my home and work computers.
The interface is a bitch when using a very large screen, only keyboard and mouse.
For the office, we're using Windows 7 for now and no plan to upgrade any time soon, maybe next few years.

I'd be interested to have those surface tablet if they come down in price for a bit. The interface is probably good for tablets, but not for desktop without touch.

The WeaseL
Premium
join:2001-12-03
Minnesota
It does work well IMO on a touch screen/tablet device. But with a KB/Mouse it is tedious.
--
How lucky am I to have known someone who is so hard to say good-bye to.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
I demand reparations from microsoft for having to mess with the POS that is win 8/8.1
--
semper idem

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to mikefxu
Click for full size
Saw this post by Maximum PC on my Facebook page: »www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=···1&ref=nf (not sure if you can view it with that link or not).

Saw the attached pic in one of the comments, figured it was appropriate.

alanxenos
Perot 2016

join:2008-09-26
Winnetka, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Broadband..
reply to cramer
said by cramer:

Psst... Win 8 is NT version 6.2
--
I'm pretty sure the small hole isn't a reset button, but is actually a microphone hole. So best not to stick anything inside it. ~jdkoreclipse@RootzWiki on the Nexus One

mikefxu

join:2004-10-05
Titusville, FL

4 edits
reply to mikefxu
Click for full size
Windows 7
Click for full size
Windows 8
I installed 8.1 on my laptop Friday and cannot get use to the Metro UI. I compare it to working a physical desk. I keep certain items that I use everyday or multiple times a day on top of my desk. Item I may only use once a week or rarely are kept in a drawer. For instance I rarely need to use my stapler and tape so they are in the drawer. Windows 8 is like every day I go home someone moves all my items in my drawers around. So when I need my stapler I have to say, hey coworker, where did you put my stapler. I would be more productive grabbing it from where I left it. I cannot embrace technology that makes people less efficient. I will keep 8.1 on my laptop but we have no plans to run it at work, same as we did with Vista. I was really holding out that 8.1 would provide a better experience.

I have posted both my Win7 and Win8 desktop configurations which I find the most productive. I tried to get use to both Win7 and Win8 ideas of productivity but in short order I realize that conforming to their vision is futile. Hopeful Windows stays open enough like Android that we can customize it to our liking as they have more retarded ideas.

Win7 versus Win8 on my laptop (with SSD) results in 30 minutes less battery life from 5 hours and slower to finish booting to desktop. If boot straight to Metro it boots quickly. Seems if they are rushing the Metro interface starting other items afterward. Now installing was much quicker.

I just get it, there are many tech "journalist" that eat Windows 8 up and think its the best thing since sliced bread, I am just not getting it.

Note: Win7 screeenshot not showing in Aero due to being RDPed in.

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest
I feel your pain. I'm a web developer and took a contract from someone who insists I work on their machines. It's a small company and they have Win8 installed.

There is this constant having to switch back and forth between the desktop and the metro screen in order to find some of the utilities. Without the start button, that's the only way I know to get to some of them.

Since it's all Linux on the server anyway, I asked them if I could at least install cygwin and vim so I could get work done but they tell me I have to use their old copy of Visual Studio.

So it's pretty frustrating for me as a developer but I'm sure regular users at an office somewhere don't have the same issues.

I'm contractually obligated to stay on this work till Monday and I would seriously opt out of the rest of it if I hadn't gotten used to things by now.

amungus
Premium
join:2004-11-26
America
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·KCH Cable
reply to mikefxu
I'm running it at work, but don't have any interaction with the metro side on my desktop. Classic Shell is helpful. Zero plans to deploy it anywhere in the company.
We'll have to upgrade some remaining XP machines to 7 by early next year though, which is no biggie.

Without Classic Shell or Start8, or, heavily customizing your own image that boots straight to a desktop, it'd be a major pain. When the beta first came around, I found myself creating all manner of shortcuts / folders for things that were useful - I ended up with Classic Shell simply because, um, most of these things are, hint: ALREADY in a start menu... logging off, shutting down, control panel shortcut, a full list of programs..
Granted, the Win+X combo is "nice to have" but it's not a start menu. The "start screen" / metro-world is also completely out of place in any kind of environment other than a tablet.

If I were to have anyone here consider deploying Win8, I'd want to personally test their image(s) and be 100% sure we had some further Group Policy tweaks in place.

We also have some new 2012 servers set up. Classic Shell is installed on them. Didn't see a good reason why NOT to do this.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
said by amungus:

We also have some new 2012 servers set up. Classic Shell is installed on them. Didn't see a good reason why NOT to do this.

Yea, from a stability and security standpoint I'm really anal when it comes to people installing unneeded additional software on a server... but at the same time, working with Windows 2012's interface is terrible without Classicshell and especially annoying when using RDP.