All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
jsetopani
join:2013-09-03
Hillsborough, NC

jsetopani to DRNewcomb

to DRNewcomb

Re: [Embarq] Anything the customer can do to speed up DSL?

I have the exact same problem (Centurylink/Embarq Hillsborough, NC). Cable wants $8K to run a line (private contractor will do for $1k but not allowed), satellite and cell services charge by the bit and add up fast. I am a computer engineer and have exhausted all ideas because the real problem is political. There is no incentive or forward thinking for better internet infrastructure in this country. Just because we are rural dwellers doesn't mean we shouldn't have access to modern services at a reasonable price. My city dweller friends would certainly cry foul if pulled the same thing in reverse with my food delivery . . . doubt they would want to drive to the country each day.
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152

It all comes down to if they're going to be able to make money on the install. They are after all a business, and in order for them to keep providing service and actually pay their employees they do have to turn somewhat of a profit on what they sell.

I've lived in both the country and city, and i can say it's more expensive for food in a bigger city because it all has to be trucked in, whereas in the country it's cheaper and a lot fresher since it's readily available. There are two sides to every coin.

If you're willing to pay more for the infrastructure to be installed, then that would be fair since they do not have those 800 units to make the money back to install the $50,000 piece of equipment to give you VDSL2 grade services.

Trust me, there are plenty of rural areas with cable that cannot get internet. I used to live in one in Ohio, it was just not profitable enough for Time Warner Cable to install a node out that far. Although we were able to get overpriced Digital Cable since it would work fine being repeated/amp'd up that far out.
DRNewcomb
join:2012-07-25
Long Beach, MS

DRNewcomb to jsetopani

to jsetopani
said by jsetopani:

I have the exact same problem (Centurylink/Embarq Hillsborough, NC). Cable wants $8K to run a line (private contractor will do for $1k but not allowed), satellite and cell services charge by the bit and add up fast.

Any chance of pair bonding or even combining DSL with a wireless ISP?