IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Nokia was once a great phone

Nokia was the Cadillac of the dumb phone business with the popular 5100 series phones that I had back in high school. I had a 5120 (D-AMPS) on US Cellular my junior year and a 5185 on Verizon (we all know VZ is CDMA) my senior year. And you shut that thing off during the school day and kept it in your pocket or it would get confiscated. Now teachers are using cell phones as part of lesson plans.

Back in the day you could customize a 5100 series phone with custom faceplates, custom kepads, but you were stuck with the embedded ringtones.

And I broke the battery on my 5185 when we were playing Duck Duck Goose in gym class (special ed gym class) and I popped a new battery on that thing it came back to life. Those phones were indestructible. Now you have to spend $50 on a case to protect your phone from shattering.

Now Apple and Android phones are the great phones although I am biased towards Apple. Apple and Android is more a matter of personal preference just like Pepsi or Coke. For me its Diet Mountain Dew.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven

Ewww! Diet!??! I hate Diet anything, mostly due to the Aspertame (which give it an extremely bitter taste to me).

I've been using Otterboxes (ya, the $50 Defender cases) and they've been great. I don't know how many times I've dropped my phone, either on purpose or by accident.

michieru
Premium Member
join:2009-07-25
Denver, CO

michieru

Premium Member

If you want to carry a boat in your pocket then I am sure they are great.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven

said by michieru:

If you want to carry a boat in your pocket then I am sure they are great.

Let's see you drop *ANY* phone from a story up and see if it survives. That's why I have one.

I don't know how many screens I've seen cracked or destroyed because someone dropped it.. from 3 FEET! I'd rather have $50 worth of insurance and a slightly thicker case than be without a phone for a week. That week could cost me >$1k.