spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cbcampbell

@charter.com

[Speed Issues] Frustrating issue with Charter - Don't know what

This issue has been long and frustrating but I will try and be concise.

- I had 15 megabit internet through Charter in Fort Worth and had no issues. I connected the modem to a wireless N router.

- I upgraded to their 30 megabit plan and got a new modem from them as a result.

- My connection started to become very inconsistent. I would get 30mbps most of the time but some of the time my ping would be very high. Basically I would get no or very little internet, and then it would burst to 30 megabit for a minute or so, and then go back down. Charter ended up sending four different techs out and none of them could find an issue, until finally one changed the metal plug in my wall that the coax cable plugs into. He said that my old one couldn't handle 30 megabit and that the problem should be fixed.

- Connection ran fine for about a month, but now I am having the same symptoms. The reason this is so frustrating besides the obvious, is that every time I call Charter they want to play the "plug the modem directly into the computer" game which I am sick and tired of. I know the issue isn't with my setup because it ran fine in the past, and it runs fine most of the time now. And I have plugged the modem directly into the computer and have had the same problem. Trying to explain this to them on the phone has proved impossible. All they want to do is go through their trouble shooting check list of resetting everything, and plugging the modem into the computer. I don't know what to do! I can have them send another tech out, but the thing is, I won't know if the issue will be occurring when they come. If they can't replicate or see the issue, they are just going to leave and charge me $40.

PLEASE HELP.

cbcampbell

@charter.com

Re: [Speed Issues] Frustrating issue with Charter - Don't know w

Right after I typed this, I got on the phone with Charter and while I was waiting, the internet magically went back to normal.

This just illustrates that I don't know how to get them to fix the problem when the issue is so inconsistent.

lineofsight

join:2003-01-03
East Saint Louis, IL
Reviews:
·PHONE POWER
reply to cbcampbell

As far as the part about them wanting you to go direct to the PC from the modem, you have to understand that there are so many different routers, so many different possibilities, they have to make sure the problem exists with a straight connection first.

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to cbcampbell

"I know the issue isn't with my setup because it ran fine in the past, and it runs fine most of the time now"

That argument means nothing. You can use that argument for any scenario or piece of hardware that fails. Pretty much anything you have ever bought and used worked fine for "x" amount of time before it broke and failed. Knowing it was configured and working properly in the past does not mean it is still working properly. You need to troubleshoot.

I have a failing router still in use right now. It works fine most of the time and the internet will randomly stop and start working. If I power cycle the router it will immediately begin working again...for x amount of time.
--
Google is your Friend

mworks

join:2006-06-13
Faison, NC
reply to cbcampbell

You need to start logging times of day the problem happens.
I had an issue that was intermittent and it turned out it was a faulty connection on one of charters pedestals. When it was hot the connection expanded and disconnected, cold it shrunk and re-connected. So it seemed odd times but was actually following the weather patterns

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to cbcampbell

Well when on the phone with them, just tell them you connected direct to the modem, and it is still the same as they can not tell you did not do it. I have told them that i have taken the modem and PC outside and connected to the cable from the pole before as i knew the problem was not in my house.

But if the guy changed the wall jack and it was good for a month then it would seem that one of the connections (connectors) at that wall jack may also be bad. If you have a new cable that you could use to replace the one from the wall to the modem and if that don't fix it then it would be the cable connection to the wall jack.

Check the cables for lose connectors, you should not be able to pull the connector off of the cable when given it a little pull.

Dogg
Premium
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter

said by mmainprize:

Well when on the phone with them, just tell them you connected direct to the modem, and it is still the same as they can not tell you did not do it. I have told them that i have taken the modem and PC outside and connected to the cable from the pole before as i knew the problem was not in my house.

But if the guy changed the wall jack and it was good for a month then it would seem that one of the connections (connectors) at that wall jack may also be bad. If you have a new cable that you could use to replace the one from the wall to the modem and if that don't fix it then it would be the cable connection to the wall jack.

Check the cables for lose connectors, you should not be able to pull the connector off of the cable when given it a little pull.

If you think it's the wall jack, simply remove it. Most wall jacks are just a male/male connection. Remove the cover plate, disconnect the cable from the inside of the cover plate and connect it directly to the modem. You then have bypassed the wall jack/cover plate AND the patch cable.
--
Google is your Friend

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter

said by Dogg:

said by mmainprize:

If you think it's the wall jack, simply remove it. Most wall jacks are just a male/male connection. Remove the cover plate, disconnect the cable from the inside of the cover plate and connect it directly to the modem. You then have bypassed the wall jack/cover plate AND the patch cable.

not only this, but this issue might also suggest wiring inside the house, which charter does not cover on service calls.

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
reply to cbcampbell

How old is your wiring? Was it installed by charter, or was it preexisting and you just put it into use? Is it run in the walls, or drilled directly to outside and then run on the outside of the building?

Dogg
Premium
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Chubbysumo

said by Chubbysumo:

said by Dogg:

said by mmainprize:

not only this, but this issue might also suggest wiring inside the house, which charter does not cover on service calls.

Depends on if you have the line protection or not. If you do, then all wiring is covered and you will not be charged for a service call. If you don't, then you will get charged for the service call and possibly for any wiring or other hardware than needs to be repaired/replaced.
--
Google is your Friend