Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

millsy200

join:2012-08-28
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

[Cable] switched from DSL to cable expecting a speed improvement

I had DSL for years in Wheatley Ont and then cable became available. I was getting 6mb down and .8mb up with dsl so when cable became available I freaked out and ordered it. After the initial install back in July 2013 my 20mb down and 2mb up was awesome, loved it! For the past two weeks, my speedtest has been giving me half what I was getting from the dsl, no matter if I bypassed my wireless router and went directly out of the modem or not, even after resets and multiple power boots it is the same story. This is my regular speedtest result on my "so called" high speed cable:

ping: 48ms
down: 3.76mb
up: 2.05mb

Is there throttling occurring on my cable line or what is going on? Anyone else getting this kind of service? Why can't I just get a reliable fast internet connection... WHY!?

dfgsdfgsdfgs

@46.17.56.x

Re: [Cable] switched from DSL to cable expecting a speed improve

Many many threads on the poor quality of Teksavvy lately.

You are not alone.

The standard answer is "rogers did a thing .... it is rogers fault ....we are trying to escalate a solution with rogers .... blame rogers not us .... sorry for the inconvenience"

And of course ..... PAY YOUR BILL IN FULL AND ON TIME, it's not like your money can be slower in the download to the Teksavvy pockets. That speed is fixed and not throttled.

millsy200

Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to millsy200

Unfortunately or fortunately, not sure which, I fall into the "Cogeco" area of Essex County here where they have all the cable lines under their control. Not sure which would be worse, Cogeco or Rogers... but regardless, probably the same answer...

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:24
reply to dfgsdfgsdfgs

Actually. If he is in Wheatly Ontario, he is on the Cogeco network, which has been relatively stable other than a few blips.

millsy200

Trust me, it is anything but stable, considering going back to DSL as I was getting higher speeds, and less buffering time spent trying to watch a video on YouTube...

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to millsy200

Hey Millsy200,

Long time no speak. I know that we in Chatham had congestion a little while ago and Cogeco acknowledge it but seems to be better now.

There aren't any know issues that I am aware of so I would definitely recommend some troubleshooting.

If you can post in the Direct, I will have someone look at it for you.

Cheers,

Andre
--
TSI Andre
Director of Online & Operations Intelligence

TekSavvy Website | TekSavvy Blog | Follow Me on Twitter (@AndreCleroux)

millsy200

posted in direct forum

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

Ok. Thanks.

Expand your moderator at work

millsy200

Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TSI Andre

Re: [Cable] switched from DSL to cable expecting a speed improve

Speedtest results as of 6:30pm:

Ping: 50ms
Down: 3.32mb
Up: 2.01mb

Its so ridiculous... current speed as of 10:00pm

ping: 47ms
down: 2.14mb
up: 2.02mb

I gotta go back to DSL, I can't have internet like this, I already went through this for the previous 2 years with my old garbage DSL connection before they finally fixed it... such a mistake switching... very unhappy and dissatisfied...

millsy200

Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TSI Andre

Some awesome internet...

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to millsy200

Just asked our MOD to have someone call you shortly.

I know there is some pretty bad congestion in Chatham but I believe that should not affect your area whatsoever.

Andre

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

Looks like Cogeco reported congestion there as well

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to millsy200

I'm not doubting your slow speed issue, but you shouldn't let speedtest.net chose the server you test from automatically. Or if you're choosing Detroit, don't.

Beanfield's server in Toronto is the best one to test with IMO, located TSI's presences at 151 Front.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5

said by TypeS:

you shouldn't let speedtest.net chose the server you test from automatically.

like so ... to nearest location relative to your area.
--

!- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -!
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = @TwiztedZero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

millsy200

Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

I always test multiple different servers, Toronto is the FURTHEST from my actual physical location. Detroit is the CLOSEST to me, I am almost in Windsor here and I get the BEST results out of Detroit. Here are my daytime results up to Bayfield, ON.

millsy200

Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

The beanfield server, which normally offers less performance than Detroit or Bayfield.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to millsy200

Although Detroit is closer by physical distance it's actually farther away than Toronto. That is because you traffic leaves your home and goes to Toronto FIRST, then out onto the Internet. So Detroit is actually further away and should give lower results or higher latency (or combo of the two).