spc
uniqs
JackBauer
join:2006-08-24
Schenectady, NY

JackBauer to OwlSaver

to OwlSaver

Re: Anyone go with the TIVO Roamio yet?

I'd consider the Roamio - but them charging a monthly fee for the "satellite" streaming boxes. No thank you - not going to buy the box and pay an extra monthly fee for that. Have no problem with a monthly fee for the programming for the main unit, but for the satellite - where I'll very rarely use it at all, no way in heck would I pay a monthly fee. But that's just me - and I guess I do have a fairly uncommon situation. (One TV getting 99% of the usage, but would want the connectivity for the other TV as well)

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

You also have the option of paying for lifetime service on the Mini (aka, the unsubsidized price). It's $150. You can buy a TiVo mini from eBay for around $80 new, so that works out to $230. No monthly fees.

BTW, the monthly fee for the TiVo mini is only a dollar more than Verizon's new CableCARD fees (and much less than a STB), making it a pretty good deal.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to JackBauer

Premium Member

to JackBauer
said by JackBauer:

I'd consider the Roamio - but them charging a monthly fee for the "satellite" streaming boxes. No thank you - not going to buy the box and pay an extra monthly fee for that. Have no problem with a monthly fee for the programming for the main unit, but for the satellite - where I'll very rarely use it at all, no way in heck would I pay a monthly fee. But that's just me - and I guess I do have a fairly uncommon situation. (One TV getting 99% of the usage, but would want the connectivity for the other TV as well)

I have two TiVo Minis and I'm not paying a monthly fee on either of them. I got lifetime service on them. Plus a TiVo with lifetime service has a nice resale value while a TiVo with monthly service has a low resale value.

I only have one TiVo on monthly service right now, a two tuner Premiere I use for OTA only. But that is only because it's grandfathered into a $6.95 a month price and the resale value is too low. If I had lifetime on it, like 95% of my other TiVos had, I would have sold it.