All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

[Rant] The Discovery Channel...

I know it's been in a serious decline for years but it's really hit rock bottom. I just wasted about 3 minutes that I can't get back watching Porter Ridge. I though Amish Mafia was the bottom of the barrel in their Fake Ass Reality but this is even worse.

What the hell happened that made them think they had to compete with Spike TV?

Eyeballs
Premium Member
join:2000-04-25
Worcester, MA

Eyeballs

Premium Member

Porter Ridge is the worst. Amish Mafia, equally bad. The absolute worst show on Discovery is Blood and Oil. Don't know what they were thinking there.

But they also have some of my favorites. Gold Rush. Deadliest catch, Myth Busters, Survivorman Marathons, Dual Survival, Naked and afraid.

They still have a lot of good stuff. That interests me, anyway.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to battleop

MVM

to battleop
said by battleop:

Easy money... That is why so many are doing it. PBS is even doing commercials about these types of shows.
Secyurityet
Premium Member
join:2012-01-07
untied state
·T-Mobile

Secyurityet to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
said by battleop:

I know it's been in a serious decline for years but it's really hit rock bottom. I just wasted about 3 minutes that I can't get back watching Porter Ridge. I though Amish Mafia was the bottom of the barrel in their Fake Ass Reality but this is even worse.

Just wait until they launch the Amish Food Channel.
CmmTch
join:2002-08-10
High Ridge, MO

CmmTch to Eyeballs

to Eyeballs
said by Eyeballs:

But they also have some of my favorites. Gold Rush. Deadliest catch, Survivorman Marathons, Myth Busters, Dual Survival, Naked and afraid.

I like Porter Ridge, it won't be around too long, I also like Amish Mafia. I don't like any of the shows that are some of your favorites except Myth Busters. Different strokes for different folks, that's why there's a variety of programming available.

DeadSurvivor
Actor (The Asylum / Mill Creek Ent.)
Premium Member
join:2013-09-03
Tampa, FL

DeadSurvivor to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
The Channel Is Going Downhill In My Opinion. I've Been Watching More H2 Than Discovery As Of Late.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
I saw 5 minutes of Amish today and wanted to vomit, what a horrible show! I don't need to waste my time that way. I watched the airplane repo and that was interesting, not great, not even something I'd normally choose, but not abysmal either.

It was much better in the early days when Discovery and TLC were real educational channels. TLC is HORRIBLE now. Vomit programming.

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx

FureverFurry to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
I think the entire Discovery NETWORK programming is run by either toddlers or drunks. Putting episodes about Jesus on the MILITARY channel ?? Biography channel now has "Super Nanny" (wth?) !!

battleop

battleop to CmmTch

to CmmTch
There is nothing wrong with these show existing. They just don't belong on the Discovery Channel.
CmmTch
join:2002-08-10
High Ridge, MO

CmmTch

You're correct battleop, they aren't what would be considered Discovery Channel fare. With those types of channels, Science, Discovery, TLC, H2, etc.. I guess there's not enough programming to go around, so they start with "filler" programs that may catch viewers or not. Probably less expensive too.

Xstar_Lumini
join:2008-12-14
CANADA

Xstar_Lumini to battleop

to battleop
I used to watch nature/animal documentaries on these channels and they have replaced them with "Tiaras and Toddlers" and some BS amish girls going to Manhattan... disgusting trash.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
I totally agree The Discovery Channel has gone to pot.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

1 recommendation

dvd536 to CmmTch

Premium Member

to CmmTch
science? dont you mean the 'how its made' channel?
dvd536

dvd536 to Xstar_Lumini

Premium Member

to Xstar_Lumini
here comes honey boo boo

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
I don't watch any of this shit.

I'm actually on the verge of cancelling cable completely and just rolling internet.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to battleop

MVM

to battleop
I have watched a few episodes of Mountain Men recently and Airplane Repo. At least with Mountain Men you can appreciate how hard it it to live without anything to really help you, with no one around, and really inhospitable weather.

As for Airplane Repo- a love of airplanes along with always wanting to know how they do their work - makes me want to find my Flight Simulator X disk again.

battleop

battleop

I like Mountain Men except for the moron that's in Maine. Some of its staged but its more for the sale of telling the story and not to create the story. I do wonder if they really walk back 10 miles in the snow in sub 20 degree weather at night or do they get a ride with the camera crew. I guess we have to wait for the behind the scenes episode to find out.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
only reality TV I watch is wrestling if you want to call it that type of thing and duck dynasty. duck dynasty is so over the top I've no idea who would even think its real it's a well written comedy show.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed to battleop

MVM

to battleop
I look at it this way - the camera crew is only for a short time all year. Before or after the crew is there they have to do everything themselves in general....

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

Premium Member

to battleop
I am just thankful that most of what is on PBS hasn't gone to hell, though here in CT the local PBS airs a lot of annoyingly goofy music artists (not of the caliber of Austin City Limits, which is an awesome show).

Do you all remember the show _Connections_? That was one of the best damn things on TV ever.

Seems the producers and directors these days just don't have it going for them, for instance, one of the cable networks tried to do a remake of the British show _The Prisoner_ and they did a horrible job. That show was a world shaker in its time, it fit in no basic genre, it was bizarre, compelling, and disturbing. It had just the right amount of camp to it to be a great show, but only 13 episodes. I consider it the best drama ever aired on English language TV.

I realize that casting, directing, and producing shows is a massive challenge, but the idiots doing it these days almost deserve jail for the crime of what they call TV nowadays. Even MSNBC is over the top with their prison and caught on camera shows, such shows appeal to the kind of people that stare through peep holes and nighttime windows, nosy and disturbed souls.

What I miss the most is ZDTV. When it went from ZDTV to TechTV it went a little worse, but then it became G4 and was a joke, but now it is some sort of GQ channel is has gone from being a joke to being a bad joke told by a bad joke teller.

I wonder if it is just that today's generation of TV producers are just stupid or something?

battleop

battleop

"What I miss the most is ZDTV"

I really miss the ZDTV/TechTV days. Leo is the best.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

Premium Member

to battleop
Do you remember Recano, the Filipina news girl? She's on some news magazine show, one of those crappy shows. She was really beautiful. I liked that show that was a round table discussion. I lived in Silicon Valley during those days (and Tucson) and the show was about the place I was working and living in, it felt really cool.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed to signmeuptoo94

MVM

to signmeuptoo94
quote:
Connections
I saw Connections 2 and 3 on TLC I believe. Never knew they were a PBS show.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to DeadSurvivor

Premium Member

to DeadSurvivor
Vikings was a shocking surprise, as was the Bible mini series.
Snakeoil

Snakeoil to Eyeballs

Premium Member

to Eyeballs
IMO, it started going down hill way back before it got popular. I remember watching Discovery on Sundays to "observe" surgical procedures. They would show footage of the operation, with commentary from the surgeon. They has some real interesting stuff on.

I hate that they pulled Dirty Jobs, but I think it had run it's course.
Naked and Afraid is a decent show, though why they blur out the "naughty" bits is beyond me. As there is nothing sexual about the people in that situation. Nudity doesn't always equal sex.
My kids liked the survival show with the Husband and wife team. I thought it was interesting as well, as you had a trained survival person looking out for an untrained one.
That's another thing I like about Naked and Afraid, because they are taking trained survivalist out of their comfort zones and testing them. Unlike Bear Grylls or Les Stroud [though Les Stroud seemed to have a harder time at survival then Grylls].

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

The first one of those procedures I saw - before I know what the program was, was a vasectomy... YIKES....! I saw part of a knee replacement - when they used a rubber mallet to get the upper part of the fake knee in. Even the sawzall was too much for me.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

I saw one where they had to correct a malformed skull. The girl was around 3 and some plates were growing slower then others. So they had cut her scalp and pulled her face forward. The surgeon said every time he does this, he is reminded of how much the face is like a Halloween mask. They should the surgeon removing sections of the skull, and adding to other parts of the skull. It was fascinating.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to FureverFurry

Premium Member

to FureverFurry
said by FureverFurry:

Putting episodes about Jesus on the MILITARY channel ??

Onward Christian Soldiers, indeed!
PX Eliezer1

PX Eliezer1 to Boricua

Premium Member

to Boricua
said by Boricua:

So much of cable has.

As with the degradation of the SciFi channel into SyFy.

Science fiction fans used to be regarded as highly intelligent, but now the company regards them as people who can't even spell.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

said by PX Eliezer1:

said by Boricua:

So much of cable has.

As with the degradation of the SciFi channel into SyFy.

Science fiction fans used to be regarded as highly intelligent, but now the company regards them as people who can't even spell.

Well I heard the Scifi change came when someone new was put in place as the president of the channel and said person hated geeks and nerds so instead of having interesting scifi programming its whatever they can scrap off the bottom of the barrel. Stargate Atlantis was supposedly canceled because it did not achieve ratings with the demographic they wanted (It had a huge female following but the execs wanted something to secure the 18-30 male demographic.)

Though I will admit I enjoyed Sharknado for the sheer amount of cheese that it was.