share rss forum feed

bradyr
Columbia College IT
Premium
join:2008-10-27
Sonora, CA

3 edits

[IPv6] Do we know release times?

Split from this topic --> »DHCPv6 IP address reservations?

~sorto'

not to hijack, but do we know what the lease time is on IPv6 for residential subscribers is?

i think IPv4 is like a 3 day lease time (even though my dynamic ipv4 addy hasn't changed in *months*.... kinda nice, i suppose)

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

Re: DHCPv6 IP address reservations?

said by bradyr:

not to hijack, but do we know what the lease time is on IPv6 for residential subscribers is?

i think IPv4 is like a 3 day lease time (even though my dynamic ipv4 addy hasn't changed in *months*.... kinda nice, i suppose)

As you imply, the lease time is not as important as the retention of an IP address time.

With IPv4, there was a single address to be concerned about, the WAN address of your home network, because all your internal devices were NAT'd at the border.

With IPv6, however, all that changes. When you have a prefix delegated to you, that prefix will work its way beyond the border, and into the various devices and services on your network.

From what I can see at the moment (based upon my writing scripts to handle the changes needed on my network), the more you migrate to IPv6, the more of a hassle it becomes when the Prefix Delegation changes.

My he.net tunnel, with its unchanging /48 prefix for IPv6 is looking more and more preferable to the dynamic, albeit native dual-stack, IPv6 situation I'll be facing in the near future....

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
That's one thing I'm wondering about, when IPv6 comes to BCI will we get a /48 like what HE.net gives or what?

I figure Comcast would just need to give us a static prefix, but as business users have multiple Vlans I know I want a /48 so atleast I'd just have to change the first 48bits

currently I do 48:VLAN ID:64
I get the 48 from HE.net and I apply it as needed.
Though I am thinking of revising it a little

1. reserving the range set for the 0000 VLAN ID for non-access vlans
2. shifting the vlans up one to actually match their VLAN ID

currently I have 2 vlans that are just from router to etherswitch and there will only ever be 2 devices on those vlans
then vlan 1 has the 0000 subnet
vlan 2 is 0001
etc

I'm thinking make the 0000 subnet into a smaller subnet, like say 48:0000:ID:48
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

camper
Premium
Bethel, CT

This message

»Re: [IPv6] Comcast IPv6 Address Assignment/Delegation

seems to say that /60 delegation will happen at some point....

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2
Supposedly /60 has happened in all but a few market areas.

camper
Premium
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

/60 would be more than enough for me. I currently have two subnets, with one more possible in the future "because I can".

But my larger concern is how frequently the prefix delegated to me will change. Even though I have written scripts to handle the situation, a changing delegated prefix is not something I look forward to.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to graysonf
Well /60 will be ok, not as good as /48.

so I'll have 4 bits instead of 16 to play with
that's only 1 hex digit, so that'd not be good for a business but for my home it'll work out.
--
semper idem

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to camper
said by camper:

/60 would be more than enough for me. I currently have two subnets, with one more possible in the future "because I can".

But my larger concern is how frequently the prefix delegated to me will change. Even though I have written scripts to handle the situation, a changing delegated prefix is not something I look forward to.

BTW so is a /60 just for HSI or HSI and BCI?
--
semper idem

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:79

1 edit
reply to graysonf
said by graysonf:

Supposedly /60 has happened in all but a few market areas.

True.. Two provisioning areas don't have the /60 but all the other's do..
--
Comcaster.. Network Engineer with NETO

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO
reply to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

Well /60 will be ok, not as good as /48.

so I'll have 4 bits instead of 16 to play with
that's only 1 hex digit, so that'd not be good for a business but for my home it'll work out.

Keep in mind residential leases and commercial dynamic\static are not the same thing.. residential leases will get a /60 with a lease time of 7 days.. the lease shouldn't change all that much..

Now with that said my node moved to a new CMTS so yes my Prefix changed, but I had the same prefix for 2 years. My newest Prefix has been the same for about 6 months.. That isn't bad..
--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
Ya I'm more interested in what they're doing for business statics.
--
semper idem

camper
Premium
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to NetDog
said by NetDog:

.... Now with that said my node moved to a new CMTS so yes my Prefix changed, but I had the same prefix for 2 years. My newest Prefix has been the same for about 6 months.. That isn't bad....

Those sort of "prefix retentions" (for lack of a better phrase) are most acceptable.

I can understand the prefix changing when, e.g., as you mention moving to a different CMTS. It is the "I just rebooted twice and got a new prefix each time" that irks me. My friend gets that with his ISP (not Comcast).

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO
said by camper:

It is the "I just rebooted twice and got a new prefix each time" that irks me. My friend gets that with his ISP (not Comcast).

And I agree, and I have seen users with that problem but can't recreate to test at times.. So if this is happening to users I want to know so we can get that fixed..
--

quesix

join:2005-12-19
Cary, IL
reply to bradyr

Re: [IPv6] Do we know release times?

Finally got my ::/60 at home myself last week, 7 days refresh, same as IPv4 stays same for most part for months at a time on average. (had same ::/64 for 3 months)