All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
fefrie
join:2012-08-17
Vancouver, BC

1 edit

fefrie

Re: What makes a high end router 'high end'?

Hey thanks everybody. As i said before, my linksys says it's only good for 3 users. They say that their high end consumer routers are better suited for 7+ users, but only with a processor that is 400/600 mhz.

Right now i have 10 or so clients right now and the network is fine sharing a 7.5 connection.

I know that G is old, but if it only has a real max of 25mbps and the internet can occasionally burst to that speed, i think that signal bandwidth spread over 10 clients isn't a big deal if you consider that web surfing is mostly intermittent and not streaming

Most of the hardware features, i don't need. Dual band, vpn, giga bit
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE

MVM

said by fefrie:

Right now i have 10 or so clients right now and the network is fine sharing a 7.5 connection.

So no speed upgrades planned in the near future... and no one's torrenting / netflixing / streaming / skyping / etc like crazy.
I almost wish I had your userbase OP...

Happy Trails!

Regards
fefrie
join:2012-08-17
Vancouver, BC

fefrie

Well we do have that going on, i guess, but no one is really a 'power user'.

And some of those 10 clients are cell phones and tablets, so they're mostly just sitting standby.

And the only upgrade worth having is an upload speed boost to 2.5mbps but that's a cost difference with an upgrade of the router to docis 3.0.