All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Matt9k
join:2011-09-24

Matt9k

[Cable] DCM 475 - Firmware upgrade

Well I have a DCM 475 with the older firmware.
I'd like to upgrade to the new speeds, but I need to upgrade my modem or buy a new one.

Is there anyone in London that can do this?

Pir8pete
join:2003-09-05
Ottawa

3 edits

Pir8pete

Should have did a search first, trying to avoid creating repeat threads like this, but yes sir there is someone in your area that can upgrade your modem. No need to change the hardware, hardware is perfectly fine docsis 3 compliant. Just look at my sig. to find your closes contact.
thermodyn
join:2004-06-05
Mississauga, ON

thermodyn to Matt9k

to Matt9k
I had the same issue (DCM475 with 2.08 firmware that I purchased when I switched to Teksavvy in June 2011) - contacted tech support -they sent out a modem with the 2.16 firmware on it as a swap - no charge - no downtime.

My basic process was as follows:

1. Posted in the Teksavvy Direct Forum here
2. Teksavvy sent a new modem to me via courier unprovisioned
3. Modem arrived - I posted that it had arrived and Teksavvy started provisioning process
4. When my current modem goes offline - switch the modems and send the existing modem with the old firmware back to Teksavvy with the prepaid envelope and label they included.

Really could not get much easier - awesome support.

fahim8
join:2011-02-08
canada

fahim8 to Matt9k

to Matt9k
Yes; if still under warranty, get Teksavvy to do a swap.

I bought a DCM475 and it had some odd firmware version (intended for videotron in Quebec...but I live in Ontario!). The process to do a swap is pretty much as thermodyn outlines. Soon enough I was up and running with a DCM476

Gwai Lo Dan
join:2007-01-24
Mississauga, ON

Gwai Lo Dan to Pir8pete

to Pir8pete
said by Pir8pete:

No need to change the hardware, hardware is perfectly fine docsis 3 compliant. Just look at my sig. to find your closes contact.

What's the cost? (Perhaps you can probably only speak for yourself).
mre_2001
join:2007-04-15
Beverly Hills, CA

mre_2001

All providers charge a very reasonable $10 for the service, however, I think one of them (mlord?) charges $5. It's also possible to do it yourself if you're inclined to make it a project and have the tools for the job.

Pir8pete
join:2003-09-05
Ottawa

Pir8pete to Gwai Lo Dan

to Gwai Lo Dan
said by Gwai Lo Dan:

said by Pir8pete:

No need to change the hardware, hardware is perfectly fine docsis 3 compliant. Just look at my sig. to find your closes contact.

What's the cost? (Perhaps you can probably only speak for yourself).

contact the appropriate person closes to you and they will tell you all needed details.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to mre_2001

Premium Member

to mre_2001
said by mre_2001:

All providers charge a very reasonable $10 for the service, however, I think one of them (mlord?) charges $5. It's also possible to do it yourself if you're inclined to make it a project and have the tools for the job.

That mlord, he's just a discount shop

But seriously, For DCM475/476 the DIY steps are fairly doable for anybody who knows what a USB to serial port with TTY level converter means or what a TFTP server is. Found here:
»Re: Upgrading Firmware on Thompson DCM475
and firmware can be downloaded from this post:
»Re: Upgrading Firmware on Thompson DCM475