spc
Search similar:

uniqs
pk63015
join:2013-09-02
Erie, PA

1 edit

pk63015

[Internet] combo unit or seperate pieces ?

I Time Warner come out on Saturday to install my internet. ? I went with the Turbo pkg. I would like to have a modem on hand for them to install so I can delete the lease fees..From what I have read that is my best choice.

Now my question..Is it better to go with a combo unit such as the Motorola SB6580 modem/wifi
Or the Motorola SB6141 and pair it with a Netgear WNR2000 router I already own ?

Where I need to put the router and modem has 1 power outlet available right now, but I could add a power strip if need be. Power consumption would not really be a factor, but what about heat ? Space is ample and air is open and free from blockages

Any advice and comments are appreciated..... Thank You..

jduffy
Premium Member
join:2006-08-20
Cincinnati, OH

jduffy

Premium Member

I would go with a 6141 and separate router. I don't really like anything that TW provides in terms of hardware. Allows you to easily swap routers in the future. All the 6141 (or even a 6121 is you are only using Turbo speeds) does is provide the Ethernet connect and Internet service. Go separate.
trade
join:2002-09-25
Fullerton, CA

1 recommendation

trade to pk63015

to pk63015
The router technology goes more ahead than cable modem, Motorola release an expensive AC/Cable Modem the last month, I got a used Motorola SB6580 on Ebay and with my Netgear N Gigabit Router I am very happy, I can easily change it for a AC Router in the coming months the price is under $100 now! Also I think the cable modems heat a lot more times broken.
pk63015
join:2013-09-02
Erie, PA

pk63015

I ended up going with separate pieces.. I kept my Netgear WNR2000 Router and paired it with a Motorola SB 6121 Modem.. I went with the 6121 because it was $30 cheaper, and right now cash is a little tight, it fits all of my needs.. Besides it was originally $79 but Staples had a $10 instant rebate ( but I don't like Staples so Office Max price matched it ) !!!
So tomorrow I can say adiĆ³s to crappy Verizon DSL