Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
kudos:1

iPhone going to sleep on longer phone calls

I use two apps while driving (Waze and Bloomberg Radio+).
My iPhone 4 is set to autolock at 5 minutes. Waze is set to prevent autolock from kicking in. Bloomberg Radio + has no such option (or one that I could find).
Last week I was using both apps (not at the same time) and received two longish (>5 minutes) calls.
During the first one, I was using Waze. The incoming call was on the screen (with the green band along the top to tap if I wanted to return to Waze, which I didn't tap).
After the call ended, the screen went black and the phone was asleep.
A few days later, I was listening to Bloomberg Radio+. I typically toggle to AM Radio during Bloomberg's commercials. I do this by clicking the car's AM button on steering wheel (I rarely use the app's pause button). No matter how long I am listening to AM, the Bloomberg Radio+ app is on and waiting for me to click the AUX button.
While the car's radio was broadcasting AM, I received a phone call. When the phone called ended, the phone was asleep.
Shouldn't the phone stay on?
I'm not happy about the need to interact with the phone while driving.
I'd prefer to end the phone call with the 'off hook' button on my steering wheel and then have the phone return to either the radio app (AUX button on steering wheel) or the Waze driving navigation automtically.
Thanks!

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
Bloomberg, AM radio? ... I think your phone just fell asleep out of boredom. (Sorry couldn't resist)
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

haroldo

united state
LOL....
I guess I'm an old man...I prefer talk radio and news stations to listening to 104.3 ...they play rock "oldies" from the 70's and 80's...but it seems like they only have 25 records as they tend to play the same stuff over and over again.
As I don't have OCD, Framton's "Do you feel" (live) and the Who classics gets really old after a few dozen times.

haroldo

united state
Does anyone else use Waze while driving? What happens during longer phone calls?

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
reply to haroldo
Do you have Waze in front? It never goes to sleep if it's in front. Since you don't have to see anything on the other apps, I'd background those guys and keep Waze in front.

haroldo

united state
Except when the phone is active....call jumps in front of Waze
I answer the phone with the steering wheel button and prefer to keep my hands on the wheel, so I don't toggle Waze to the front.
My question is...does your phone sleep if your on a long call with Waze running in background?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
said by haroldo:

My question is...does your phone sleep if your on a long call with Waze running in background?

I believe this is the expected behavior. If a mapping app is in the background, the activity timer override no longer works, so the phone will go to sleep after 5 minutes (doesn't matter that you were on a phone call - the same thing should happen if you just press the home button and wait 5 minutes).

You'd have to reactivate Waze before the 5 min mark on the call to prevent the phone from sleeping, at least in my experience.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

haroldo

united state
Good explanation.
Just wanted to make sure my phone wasn't set improperly.
Not crazy about the answer, though, as the only way to stay with Waze is to interact with phone while driving.
Thanks!

bobrk
Premium
San Jose, CA
reply to Thinkdiff
Doesn't Waze, as a nav app, get a dispensation to stay running in the background?

haroldo

united state
said by bobrk:

Doesn't Waze, as a nav app, get a dispensation to stay runni

That's the point of my question. I set it up to ignore autolock, but I guess, that feature only works if it is the front (for want of a better term) app. If it's burried (beneath a phone call), all bets are off

bobrk
Premium
San Jose, CA
Is your Waze just displaying a map or is it actively giving you directions to someplace. If the latter, it should keep running in the background. Otherwise it would not be very useful for navigation.

haroldo

united state
It was navigating.
Got a call.
Yakked for 10 minutes
Call ended
iPhone was sleeping (but unlike Luca Brazi...not with the fishes, however)

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to bobrk
said by bobrk:

Doesn't Waze, as a nav app, get a dispensation to stay running in the background?

I don't think that's the issue here, but maybe I misunderstood. Waze will run in the background, generating notifications and/or voice prompts as necessary after the phone goes to sleep.

It was my understanding the OP wanted the phone to switch back to Waze automatically at the end (or beginning) of the phone call and keep it in the foreground instead of going to sleep.

When the app is in the background, it cannot override the activity timer, but it can still use the GPS and speakers/notifications to generate prompts.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!