Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5

Whats in a Name......

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/st···ent.html

Why would anybody in this day and age use the name Redskins for a football team.
If the president of the club was actually progressive he would seek out assistance from the community to find a name and logo that was suitable for both the community and football. I am sure its possible. Besides its already abused by an Amurican team.
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
The Nepean Redskins program of junior football has been around for about 40 years. Back in the day, junior hockey/football/baseball teams were named after the "big" teams as that's what was done. It has had that name for a long time, it's a 'known brand' in the area (I went to school with a lot of guys who had played for that team) and they've gone to a local First Nation to see if they wanted the name to change and were told they could continue using it.

Non-story except for those trying to make a name for themselves (ie/ a musician trying to get attention to himself).
--
All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars
All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars

- Peart / Lifeson / Lee
Join Team Helix

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
reply to Anav
Why did the team change their name in the first place twenty-odd years ago? Their original name wasn't controversial.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Anav
I think it's a little bit of political correctness gone amuck. If that's how we really feel; then professional teams, be it hockeys, football, baseball (they have a lot of bad name, Indians, Reds, for example) should change their names.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Graustark
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
said by J E F F:

I think it's a little bit of political correctness gone amuck. If that's how we really feel; then professional teams, be it hockeys, football, baseball (they have a lot of bad name, Indians, Reds, for example) should change their names.

Atlanta Braves
Chicago Blackhawks
Kansas City Chiefs
Cleveland Indians
Washington Redskins

Lots of controversy out there, especially the last one.

In US college sports, the NCAA muddled and meddled into this, and I think they've regretted it ever since.
»www.insidehighered.com/news/2005···8/mascot

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
reply to Anav
"How are they going to differentiate the playing field from the schoolyard? What's going to stop them from calling my daughter a redskin in the schoolyard?"

Is his daughter running around the schoolyard in football gear that matches the team's?

It'd be one thing if this were a new team going for one of these names...

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
N of 49th
reply to Anav
There's also this sort of thing in the CFL:

Edmonton Eskimos

(Eskimo is considered by many to be a very derogatory term)

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to Anav
I went to Ferndale Public School in St. Catharines when I was a kid. The team name was "Warriors" and a silhouette of an Indian chief head wearing a feather hat was our logo. At some point when I was in the later grades of the school in the mid-90s they received a complaint and were forced to change their name from Warriors to Falcons.

To be honest, I'm surprised it took this long for them to receive a complaint.

Misaow

join:2010-10-19
Ottawa, ON
reply to Anav
Ottawa REDBLACKS
»www.ottawaredblacks.com/
Yes must be in all caps....

PX Eliezer
Premium
Graustark
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
reply to Kardinal
said by Kardinal:

Edmonton Eskimos

Depends where you are.

In Canada, the term Inuit is preferred over Eskimo, which is considered offensive. What many people do not know is that using the term Inuit as a blanket term for all arctic people in Alaska is offensive – the opposite of the situation in Canada. Why? Because there are two main groups of arctic people in Alaska, the Yupik and the Iñupiat. The Yupik peoples are Eskimo but not Inuit. Quite understandably, they don’t like being called Inuit because they aren’t Inuit (and the word doesn’t even exist in Yupik languages). This means that it’s better to call arctic Alaskans Eskimos, not Inuit – or better yet, call them Yupik if they are Yupik, Iñupiat if they are Iñupiat, Cup’ik if they are Cup’ik, and so on.

So, to sum it up:

Canada: Inuit
United States (i.e., Alaska): Eskimo, which includes Yupik and Inuit peoples
Greenland: Kalaallit (Inuit may be acceptable as well, but I simply don’t know)
Russia: Eskimo (albeit in Russian, ). Mostly Yupik peoples, with the exception of Inuit on Big Diomede. Sirenikski may be separate from both Yupik and Inuit (hat tip to Anthony Woodbury).
Also, the name of the language family encompassing their languages is Eskimo-Aleut. Within Eskimo, there’s a division between Yupik and Inuit languages, much like the division between the cultural groups. Replacing Eskimo-Aleut with *Inuit-Aleut would be incorrect.

Note: contrary to popular belief, there are also non-Eskimo indigenous peoples in Alaska: the Aleut (Unangan) as well as many different Native American groups. I’ve seen at least one popular American movie set in Southeast Alaska that called the local indigenous people Inuit – a gross error, because the peoples of that region are neither Iñupiat nor Yupik.

»tulugaq.wordpress.com/inuit-vs-eskimo/

Regarding "Eskimo Pie" ice cream product, this was owned by a Canadian company (Cool Brands) from 2000 to 2007.

Eskimo Pie is now owned by Nestle.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to Anav
Same BS is going on in the US over the name of the Washington Redskins.

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
reply to PX Eliezer
said by PX Eliezer:

said by Kardinal:

Edmonton Eskimos

Depends where you are.

Quite true. We're in CanChat and talking about a team in Canada.
--
All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars
All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars

- Peart / Lifeson / Lee
Join Team Helix

PX Eliezer
Premium
Graustark
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
I know, but I don't want to feel guilty eating an Eskimo Pie.

I'll have to switch to Klondike Bars.

And as I said, "Eskimo Pie" was owned by a Canadian company (Cool Brands) from 2000 to 2007.

PX Eliezer
Premium
Graustark
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
reply to Kardinal
said by Kardinal:

said by PX Eliezer:

said by Kardinal:

Edmonton Eskimos

Depends where you are.

Quite true. We're in CanChat and talking about a team in Canada.

It was a Inuk woman from Canada who protested the existence of Eskimo-brand candy on a trip to New Zealand.

The New Zealanders were not amused.

»www.ctvnews.ca/canadian-angers-n···1.392142

-----

In that same news story, it is noted that the CFL's Edmonton Eskimos used the names of some US teams (Washington Redskins and Cleveland Indians) to defend their OWN name. So these things do cross the international boundary.