Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to Oedipus

Re: Things I hate (as worker/applicant) with managers/businesses

said by Oedipus:

said by TheMG:

as such employers will often be looking for a hefty amount of experience rather than just credentials.

And thank god for that because "IT credentials" don't mean squat.

Yeah. A place where I had a summer job several years ago (as an electronics technologist) hired a new head for their IT department. They made the mistake of hiring a guy that had all sorts of credentials, but virtually no relevant experience.

Hell, the guy didn't even know how to use active directory! And he is supposed to manage a Windows domain?!?!?

Sad thing is they could have promoted one of their own technicians to the job of head administrator. The guy had several years of experience doing this kind of work and really knew what he was doing, but had none of the credentials/certificates.

Yay for completely clueless HR department!

join:2013-07-08
MA

said by TheMG:

said by Oedipus:

said by TheMG:

as such employers will often be looking for a hefty amount of experience rather than just credentials.

And thank god for that because "IT credentials" don't mean squat.

Yeah. A place where I had a summer job several years ago (as an electronics technologist) hired a new head for their IT department. They made the mistake of hiring a guy that had all sorts of credentials, but virtually no relevant experience.

Hell, the guy didn't even know how to use active directory! And he is supposed to manage a Windows domain?!?!?

Sad thing is they could have promoted one of their own technicians to the job of head administrator. The guy had several years of experience doing this kind of work and really knew what he was doing, but had none of the credentials/certificates.

Yay for completely clueless HR department!

New employees are always a gamble. Turnover is the #1 most costly thing to a company. Experience/certs really makes no difference. It's the person who needs to demonstrate that experience or certs translate to real world use. I've seen people with 10 years experience who learned it wrong so are worthless and I've seen people with tons of certs who only know textbook stuff. People like to justify stuff so we get these inaccurate opinions like certs aren't that good or experience is king. You need to hire the right person regardless of experience or certs in reality. You can teach people how to do technical stuff that comes from experience or certs but you can't teach them life skills or change their personality.