Search similar:

uniqs

Rebbig
@tinginnovators.com

Rebbig

Anon

[Internet] Motorola SB6141 vs Zoom 5341J

Hello,
I'm trying to decide which of these two cable modems (SB6141 and 5341J) to purchase (I am a Time Warner Cable customer and both are on the approved list). The Zoom is cheaper, but the SB6141 seems to have additional features like AES encryption and a 1 GHz low pass filter to reduce interference. How important are these things? Does the AES encryption somehow encrypt all data coming out of the cable modem automatically?
bodosom
Leger de main
Premium Member
join:2004-03-05
WNY/Niagara
ARRIS SB6183
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
pfSense SG-2220

bodosom

Premium Member

My 6141 was unstable, probably because of old software but TW doesn't seem to be in any hurry to push out firmware upgrades. I replaced it with a 5341 and while I still sometimes lose a bonded channel (it runs 4+4) the modem doesn't stall while recovering.

Privacy is one of the goals of encryption in the device and newer techniques are better than older techniques (e.g. AES vs DES) but you shouldn't expect your ISP to protect your privacy. Encryption is also part of the authentication that allows TW to identify a particular cable modem.

atcotr
@rr.com

atcotr to Rebbig

Anon

to Rebbig
The MoCA filter obviously is only of use if you use MoCA Ethernet adapters. Some people get weird interference, but most have no issues at all using MoCA adapters on the same coaxial segment as a cable modem. AES encryption is part of the DOCSIS 3.0 standard, every 3.0 modem and CMTS supports it (along with other security updates) but I think most operators are only using 56-bit DES with some periodic key rotation.
keyzip13
join:2000-10-01
Anaheim, CA

keyzip13 to Rebbig

to Rebbig
I got the 5341J because it was cheaper and I didn't have to worry about firmware issues that bodosom had.

I have 20/2 with bonded 8x1 and the modem has been up for 2 months without issues.

Rebbig
@tinginnovators.com

Rebbig

Anon

Hello,
Thank you for your help. I've been shopping for the Zoom 5341J model, but when I went into a retail store the box said that the model was 5341 (similar to the picture here: »www.amazon.com/Zoom-DOCS ··· om+5341j). Is this the right modem?
tony967
join:2013-02-02
Louisville, KY

tony967

I have the Zoom 5341J and I like it so far. Make sure the modem has a J on the end when buying one. The amazon.com link looks like the J modem. Good luck. I got mine at Bestbuy.
bodosom
Leger de main
Premium Member
join:2004-03-05
WNY/Niagara

bodosom to Rebbig

Premium Member

to Rebbig
There is a 5341. It's 4x4 versus the 5341J at 8x4 bonding. There are various other differences.

E.g. see this comparison:
»Zoom 5341G (4x4) vs Zoom 5341J (8x4)
cbb521
join:2013-09-07
Milwaukee, WI

cbb521 to Rebbig

to Rebbig
I bought my 5341 from Best Buy maybe a month ago...the box doesn't specify "j", although it does say "8x4" on the box. I would assume as long as you're getting the model with the flat front, that you've got the J model.