Search similar:

uniqs

Chromosome
join:2013-01-29

4 edits

Chromosome

RESOLVED: Iktel Outage September 4th - 6th, 2013

As per their website:

We regret to inform you that due to dispute related issues about bandwidth usage, the Cable company may have placed a block on your cable internet access. Negotiation is ongoing to resolve the issue with them. ETA is Wednesday 4th September 2013
We regret any inconvenience to you.

Again...really? * sigh *

DrugTito
join:2013-01-17
canada

DrugTito

Re: Iktel Outage - September 4, 2013

They cut ur connection, just like that?
stormy13
join:2003-10-28
Pickering, ON
Asus RT-AC66U B1

stormy13

Click for full size
Right on the ik Tel main page,

»www.iktel.ca/

DrugTito
join:2013-01-17
canada

DrugTito

What a joke ISP.

I would cancel them, right away.

rednekcowboy
join:2012-03-21

rednekcowboy to Chromosome

to Chromosome
Translation:

We didn't pay our bill so you lost internet. We've gone to the loanshark on the corner to get the money to get reconnected and hope to be back shortly.

Chromosome

Chromosome

Ya it's time to start looking for a new ISP. This is the second time it's happened in the past 8 months...and they always pull the "blame the pirates" card.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to Chromosome

MVM

to Chromosome
Umm, it doesn't matter who is causing the internet access, it's the ISP's job to pay the supplier (cableco) for what they consume... Even if some users had very high usage, it's up to the ISP to pay for it and price their services accordingly.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Chromosome

Premium Member

to Chromosome
Looks like their unscheduled monthly outage is right on schedule.

Chromosome

Chromosome

Ok I know this is a bit off topic but whatever...I started the thread so...I've been researching options (thanks to the iphone hotspot!) and it looks like Start.ca is decent with similar prices.

Anyone have any opinions or other options for St. Catharines, Niagara Region area?

I've searched the forums and I see some posts from 2012 re: Start.ca...I assume because so few posts about them that they are up for the most part with adequate speeds. From their website I can switch over for free also which is a bonus...thoughts?

And anyone know how much notice an ISP requires...specifically Iktel? I have no problems cancelling and then telling my credit card company to not allow them to charge - which they will do - but it would save me a phone call if I know they require like a week or two notice.

cybersaga
join:2011-12-19
Selby, ON

cybersaga

Start is fantastic. I use Start in Welland.

You don't see many posts about them in this forum because they have their own: »Start.ca

Chromosome

Chromosome

Perfect. Thank you for the reply!
xiaous
join:2013-09-04
St Catharines, ON

xiaous to Chromosome

to Chromosome
I don't understand why they can't give us an update, eta is the fourth and it's 8 but still no update.

Looks like they just made another start customer.
xiaous

xiaous to Chromosome

to Chromosome
accidental double post. Please ignore

dje
@telus.com

dje

Anon

I think I have had enough, I have stuck by them since the start but one can only take so much of the random outages with no explanation or communication. At the very min send an email and get someone to answer the phones when there is an outage!

Time for a switch it seems start is the way to go? Any more people in the area use them?

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Let's just say that with Start the only time I've ever had my service go down is because Cogeco screwed with things, not because of an issue on Start's end.

Chromosome

Chromosome

I just sent a message to Start via their website. Looks like they will wave the 50 dollar setup fee. I'm done with Iktel. I've stuck with them long enough...I can forgive the down time...but not the lack of professionalism...after almost 2 years you think they would have learned how to communicate an outage...sadly it's almost comical that they have not.

Celery
join:2004-01-19
St Catharines, ON

Celery

Just sent a message to Start as well. Looks like Start wants you to have a specific modem firmware for the DCM425... Which of course mine doesn't match.

I'm hoping it's not a huge issue.

cybersaga
Selby, ON

cybersaga

said by Chromosome:

I just sent a message to Start via their website. Looks like they will wave the 50 dollar setup fee.

If you already have an active (err, "active") cable internet service, the setup fee is waived.
said by Celery:

Just sent a message to Start as well. Looks like Start wants you to have a specific modem firmware for the DCM425... Which of course mine doesn't match.

If your modem is working with Iktel, it should work with Start. After all, you're modem's actually working with Cogeco, and that wouldn't change after the switch.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Celery

Premium Member

to Celery
Start doesn't want anything, Cogeco does.

Celery
St Catharines, ON

Celery to cybersaga

to cybersaga
said by cybersaga:

If your modem is working with Iktel, it should work with Start. After all, you're modem's actually working with Cogeco, and that wouldn't change after the switch.

I emailed Start and they said it was okay, just as long as it's working on Cogeco's network... Just me worrying, I suppose.

SAV
@asset.net

SAV to Chromosome

Anon

to Chromosome
I'm done with iKtel as well. This was my "breaking point" persay.

Start is available in Niagara Falls?

cybersaga
Selby, ON

cybersaga

Yep, anywhere Cogeco and Rogers live.

Dj eclipse
@cgocable.net

Dj eclipse to cybersaga

Anon

to cybersaga
said by cybersaga:

said by Chromosome:

I just sent a message to Start via their website. Looks like they will wave the 50 dollar setup fee.

If you already have an active (err, "active") cable internet service, the setup fee is waived.
said by Celery:

I called last night and was told my current modem I use with Iktel won't work, something like cogeco is trying to get rid of that type of modem.

I am not happy about that as it is an extra 100.00 for the new modem when I have a working one right now.

Another problem is we have to get a cancellation date from Iktel how are we supposed to do that when they aren't answering their dam phones???

Dj Eclipse
@cgocable.net

Dj Eclipse

Anon

Has anyone been able to get a hold of them to cancel? I just sent a email and of course they are not answering the phone.

Start says we need to have a cancellation date form them in order to save the 50.0 connection feel

Chromosome

Chromosome to Dj eclipse

to Dj eclipse
The cancellation date is the end of your billing period. It should be listed on the last PDF bill they email you.

As for terminating your ikTel service. Here is their Terms of Service link: »www.iktel.ca/iktel_terms.pdf.

36. Termination
Termination by You. Please be advised only the Account holder may terminate their
Account.
You may stop using the Services at any time, but IKTEL will continue to bill you until
you terminate your Account or the Services in accordance with this provision. You may
cancel your Account or any Services by:
a. Cancelling direct with a IKTEL customer service agent by telephone, or sending a fax,
e-mail or letter to IKTEL, at least 1 day prior to your next Billing Date and specifying the
following: (i) your request for Account or Service termination; (ii) your name and contact
telephone number; (iii) your Username and password; (iv) if a pre-authorized or
automatic payment plan is used for your Account, the last 4 digits and expiry date of your
credit card or the last 4 digits of your financial institution Account number and the name
of the financial institution used for billing; and (v) your reason for terminating your
Account.
Chromosome

Chromosome

And I was told that my modem would still work - its a DCM425 - but only at 6Mbps. What modem do you have?

Celery
St Catharines, ON

Celery

I have a DCM425 as well. What modem do you have, DJ?

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Chromosome

Premium Member

to Chromosome
said by Chromosome:

And I was told that my modem would still work - its a DCM425 - but only at 6Mbps. What modem do you have?

Yeah, 20, 30 and 60 require a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. The 425 is only 2.0.

neko
All Hail Canada
Premium Member
join:2006-08-11
Canada

neko to Chromosome

Premium Member

to Chromosome
said by Chromosome:

Anyone have any opinions or other options for St. Catharines, Niagara Region area?

I can highly recommend Teksavvy, via Cogeco TPIA, here in St Catharines. Fast speeds all day long.

Great support & price, with 300GB usage per month & a recent free upgrade to 10Mbit upstream.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

said by neko:

I can highly recommend Teksavvy, via Cogeco TPIA, here in St Catharines. Fast speeds all day long.

Great support & price, with 300GB usage per month & a recent free upgrade to 10Mbit upstream.

i think saying TSI has great support is pushing it. it's 'great' if you don't mind submitting tickets and waiting a few hours or a day to get a response.

that being said, they don't seem to be having technical issues on their Cogeco network.