Search similar:

uniqs
mmx4000
join:2010-02-16
Ottawa, ON

mmx4000

[DSL] Sagemcom PPPoE Passthrough - Inconsistent Wifi

Here's my situation:

1) 25/10 VDSL coming to the Sagemcom modem (factory reset, wifi and dhcp disabled).
2) From a Sagemcom LAN port to the WAN port of my WNR3500L router.
3) WNR3500L is handling wifi, LAN DHCP, and the PPPoE connection with proper credentials.

When connected via ethernet, I get full consistent speeds (24.5 down, 10.3 up on average). However, as soon as I try the same thing on wifi, the speeds (specifically download speeds) are very inconsistent. They jump from ~5Mbps to 15Mbps depending on when I do the test, seems sporadic. The upload speed is always above 9 Mbps however. This same router had a great wifi signal working fine with a SB6120 on 25/2 cable just a week ago.

Any thoughts as to what might be the cause of this? Would setting up the Sagemcom in pure bridge mode help?

I tried the wifi on the Sagemcom, and it gives consisent speeds, but I hate the fact that the firmware doesn't give me many options.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

The Sagem has no way to tell your wired LAN from your WLAN apart since your WNDR is handling all routing. If you get full speed when wired but can't with your WLAN, your problem is either your router's WiFi, your other devices' WiFi or other devices/WLANs interfering with your WLAN.

AFAIK, the Sagem's mysterious bridge speed capping issue does not kick in until ~35Mbps.
mmx4000
Ottawa, ON

mmx4000

Yea, I wonder if it's just the position of my router. It's currently in the basement near some metal ventilation ducts. It worked just fine in my old apartment where it basically had nothing near it except walls. I'll keep on testing and see if that's the issue.
mmx4000

mmx4000

I can confirm that it's NOT location dependent. I have the router upstairs next to my laptop and it's still behaving the same way. Latest speed test shows 1.6Mbps down, 9.7Mbps upload. It really seems like it's just a downstream problem.
nightowl3
join:2012-11-09

nightowl3 to mmx4000

to mmx4000
Change the WIFI signal channel to the upper ones. Also if you feel comfortable, change the router firmware to DD-WRT:

»www.dd-wrt.ca/wiki/index ··· WNR3500L
Cloneman
join:2002-08-29
Montreal

Cloneman to mmx4000

to mmx4000
said by mmx4000:

They jump from ~5Mbps to 15Mbps depending on when I do the test, seems sporadic.

Solution, walk around the premises with a laptop with a live bandwidth graph, during a LAN Transfer...

Shibby Tomato is also available for the 3500L, with "updated WLAN drivers "
mmx4000
Ottawa, ON

mmx4000

Yea, I may end up doing that at some point. For now I've settled on turning my WNR3500L into an access point for the upstairs area (both wifi and as a wired switch), and using the Sagemcom as the main DHCP handler as well as wifi for the basement and main levels.

Even by doing this, the wifi from the WNR3500L is still 15Mbps or less in every test I do. So that proves to me that it's at fault. Oh well. I'll ride the Sagemcom until it gives me too many headaches, then I'll either flash my WNR with tomato or I'll just buy an up to date router.
mmx4000

mmx4000 to Cloneman

to Cloneman
Also in regards to the walking around with a laptop, I did that, and even if I'm in the same room with line of sight, the problem still existed, while anywhere in the house with the sagemcom would provide full speeds.