Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

2 recommendations

[Business] Any updates on the IPv6 business trials?

Just as the subject says. Any info?

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:77

What are you looking for? They are ongoing right now...
--
Comcaster.. Network Engineer with NETO

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA

I know they are ongoing. Are they going well and when might we see some expansion into other areas? Still impatiently waiting for my area to get it.

StevenP88

join:2010-11-01
Springfield, MO
reply to ropeguru

Well last time I checked we weren't but that was a long time ago lol, but my point was that everyone is in a rush to get IPv6, people need to let the ISP's get things going, it takes time...

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv4_addre···haustion

quote:
The top-level exhaustion occurred on 31 January 2011,[1][2][3] and the RIR APNIC's exhaustion on 15 April 2011 and some parts of the world have already exhausted their IPv4 allocations,[4][5][6] and the remaining RIRs are expected to deplete their pools within a few years

IIRC china got the last set of IPv4 blocks

IIRC IPv6 or drop dead day (ok forgot the actual name) was ether last year or 2011)
all ISP were supposed to fully support IPv6 by then and they didn't make it in time.

So the whole rush that some feel is because its way overdue.
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO
reply to ropeguru

oh and why a /64 do you ask.. because you could insert the IPv4 address into the v6 address easiest.. From a /96 you could run all of the v4 space..

2001:db8::10:0:0:10/128
--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

said by NetDog:

oh and why a /64 do you ask.. because you could insert the IPv4 address into the v6 address easiest.. From a /96 you could run all of the v4 space..

2001:db8::10:0:0:10/128

While true, 128-96=32 and ipv4 is 32bit

ipv4 is decimal and ipv6 is hex so while the bits line up the characters representing them would change

so say an IP of 172.19.19.1 in hex would be AC13:1301
--
semper idem

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
kudos:1

I suspect there was a desire to retain the same presentation of the IPv4 address, hence keeping the decimal presentation even though there are wasted bits.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

said by camper:

I suspect there was a desire to retain the same presentation of the IPv4 address, hence keeping the decimal presentation even though there are wasted bits.

However to be able to represent ipv4 in ipv6 it takes 64bits and has a ton of waste.
--
semper idem

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by DarkLogix:

However to be able to represent ipv4 in ipv6 it takes 64bits and has a ton of waste.

Your right.. it is a ton of waste and I really hate waste..
--

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to ropeguru

I just love how the original question never gets answered and the completely off topic discussion just keeps going...

System
reply to ropeguru

(topic move) [IPv6] Why all the hoopla over IPv6?

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 29 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »[IPv6] Why all the hoopla over IPv6?

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21

1 recommendation

reply to ropeguru

Note to All

When a topic starts to go off topic, please use hey mods from the first off topic post. The sooner we get notice, the better chance we have to fix the problem cleanly.

TIA
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ropeguru

Re: [Business] Any updates on the IPv6 business trials?

said by ropeguru:

I just love how the original question never gets answered and the completely off topic discussion just keeps going...

:) the trial is going good it is coming along not really much to say. Right now it is just like the Res trial but with /56..
--

magamiako

join:2006-01-14
Halethorpe, MD

Hey NetDog,

Are the business trials available in Severn, MD? I've been doing IPv6 at the local hackerspace there using an HE Tunnel on a Juniper SSG5 with a /48. If /56 is available from Comcast, I'd love to set it up and get native v6 all the way through.

A hackerspace seems like a great place to trial IPv6 :P

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to StevenP88

said by StevenP88:

Well last time I checked we weren't but that was a long time ago lol, but my point was that everyone is in a rush to get IPv6, people need to let the ISP's get things going, it takes time...

Ya, it's not like the haven't had many years to work on this.

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to magamiako

said by magamiako:

Hey NetDog,

Are the business trials available in Severn, MD? If /56 is available from Comcast, I'd love to set it up and get native v6 all the way through.

Nope not yet.. and yep business will receive a /56...
--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

well a /56 is nice, I'd rather a /48 but no biggy (partly because that'd give a full : to : area for VLSMing)
--
semper idem

Etobicoke, ON

1 edit

said by DarkLogix:

well a /56 is nice, I'd rather a /48 but no biggy (partly because that'd give a full : to : area for VLSMing)

So ISPs are being too liberal with address space but then you want a /48 for a (small / medium) size business connection.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

said by 34764170:

said by DarkLogix:

So ISPs are being too liberal with address space but then you want a /48 for a (small / medium) size business connection.

If they're going to be liberal I'd like to take advantage.

HE.net does /48's
--
semper idem

Etobicoke, ON

2 edits

said by DarkLogix:

If they're going to be liberal I'd like to take advantage.

HE.net does /48's

If anything I think having /48's as an opt-in feature could be beneficial for some larger businesses though I think more often those businesses would be more inclined to be utilizing Metro-E services.

I know HE does. I have been using their tunnels for over a decade.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

My reasoning is 16bits to play with gives the user (IE the business) more capability to make that 16bits usefull

I know where I worked before did a 10.x.x.x/16 range assigned to each site and then used the 3rd octet for vlan numbering

so in that case they were using 16bits to manage their range and the last part for hosts
--
semper idem