share rss forum feed

acadiel
Press fire to begin
Premium
join:2002-06-22
kudos:2

[DSL] New 24/2 Install

Click for full size
Just got the bonded 24/2 installed with a ZyXEL modem here in Bloomington, IL.

Pretty decent speeds; speedtest.net is giving me 23M/1.8M (overhead), so not bad. Locked in at $54.99/mo for two years. Guy had problems with the second DSL port, but was able to quickly fix it.

I had to put Frontier ZyXEL modem (on the very right in the pic) in "bridge" mode (installer didn't know what I was talking about, so had to Google it) so I wasn't double NAT'd behind my existing Sonicwall firewall. If you ever have to get back to the Frontier web interface, it's 192.168.254.254-admin/admin. The wireless also must be disabled before putting it into bridged mode. Wireless defaults on it were FrontierHSI for the SSID, and "changeme" for the password.

»andre.arko.net/2012/03/07/bridge···-modems/ - Instructions on how to put the modem into bridge mode

I'm hoping the ZyXEL works well. Back in the day when I used to BBS decades ago, ZyXEL made the 'budget' 14.4K modems that everyone bought, but worked like crap. Hehe....

atigerman

join:2002-01-19
Tigerton, WI

2 edits
Looks nice..... I'm just itching for the day they roll it out to my remote. Tell me, you have two phone lines feeding into the ZyXEL modem or just one? It looks like just one....

The one i was looking at is this one.... It's labeled as VDSL2, but in the specs it also supports ADSL2+..... Here's a question maybe you can ask, does frontier support single or dual channel bonding?

»www2.zyxel.com/us/en/products_se···html?t=p

Bob61571

join:2008-08-08
Washington, IL
reply to acadiel
Frontier will not increase their 3/.768 DSL speeds here, when I asked their local tech engineer here. Funny that Frontier can offer 24/2 in B-N. Well, new fiber lines installed in my neighborhood this week by a newer provider.

acadiel
Press fire to begin
Premium
reply to atigerman
atigerman: It's two pair in a RJ11 jack. The DSL Modem has a "DSL1" and "DSL2" light on it. They have to be "bonded" on the Frontier side in order to work properly. The installer had a little difficulty with mine because both sync'd, but the installer on their side didn't bond them properly. Once he did his five minutes of magic and bonded it, it came right up.

acadiel
Press fire to begin
Premium
reply to Bob61571
said by Bob61571:

Frontier will not increase their 3/.768 DSL speeds here, when I asked their local tech engineer here. Funny that Frontier can offer 24/2 in B-N. Well, new fiber lines installed in my neighborhood this week by a newer provider.

I think they did it at the CO and now are doing it at all the remote terminals. However, there are some neighborhoods with some crappy 26 AWG wire (like where I used to live) that have no hope of ever getting higher than 3, IMHO, unless they deploy another RT. They are like 15,000 FT from the CO with 26AWG wire (this was back in the days before they started putting RT's all over the place).

They gradually started rolling out to the RT's after the CO's. I don't know how well their bonded product will scale if it becomes popular; after all, it takes two ports to offer it, and I know they only have so many of them in the RT's due to space.

atigerman

join:2002-01-19
Tigerton, WI
reply to acadiel
Now i see. I was under the impression that they are just using two of the contacts in the RJ11 jack, which lead me to think you needed two RJ11's on the modem to do bonding. But now i see that they are using all four of the contacts in the RJ11.....

acadiel
Press fire to begin
Premium
reply to acadiel
Update: Only hitch I had with this whole install was the first bill. Was supposed to be charged $49.99 for the install, but was charged $99.99. Had to call in, but they applied the credit for me based on the notes. Took about 5 minutes.

ncted

join:2010-10-25
Durham, NC
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Time Warner Cable
This service is now available in my neighborhood. Before biting, I was wondering how your service has been. I am currently on TWC Turbo, so 20/2, and it is reliable, but I would prefer to not use TWC. Frontier is my only other option. Anyway, any feedback you can provide would be great.

Thanks,
Ted

listonr12

join:2005-10-05
Terre Haute, IN
reply to acadiel
I'm getting the 12Mbps service installed on Tuesday. I'm switching from TWC... Hoping I'm not making a mistake. We will see how it goes. I spoke with someone on chat because it said I was going to have to pay $150 for installation after the $50 discount. She put in the order and said that I would not have to pay the install fee. Hope she is right.

listonr12

join:2005-10-05
Terre Haute, IN
Well... That was a failure. The current line was only running about 6600Kbps and it needed to be at least 6900Kbps for a bonded install to be done. They could offer me 5Mbps... I said no thanks.

ncted

join:2010-10-25
Durham, NC
reply to acadiel
Got my 24/2 service from Frontier installed today. Still need to figure out how to setup bridge mode. My modem is an ActionTec FV2200.

COjosh

join:2011-02-21
kudos:1