moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA

moldypickle to DocDrew

Premium Member

to DocDrew

Re: How much is Netflix throttling your ISPs connection graph

You suggest then that Netflix is throttling their entire user base in an attempt to sell more accounts..... I guess your logic makes more sense..... O.o

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

2 recommendations

DocDrew

Premium Member

I'm not suggesting they do it to sell more accounts... That wouldn't even make sense.

Netflix is marketing a bandwidth chart that has no publicly known baseline or target. What is good? What is the highest an ISP can get? What is really behind the numbers? The number certainly don't reach the speed of the tiers the ISPs are selling or what customers are report they are able to at a range of other sites.

norm
join:2012-10-18
Pittsburgh, PA

norm

As stated elsewhere, 3mbit is the highest tier reachable on an ISP without SuperHD (OpenConnect). I personally would like to see these charts broken out by region AND time.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

Click for full size
What happens if customer's turn down the bit rate on purpose... is that counted in Netflix numbers?

Although doesn't 2.3 GB per hour equal about 5.2 mb per second? Is that for SuperHD?
Bengie25
join:2010-04-22
Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Bengie25

said by DocDrew:

What happens if customer's turn down the bit rate on purpose... is that counted in Netflix numbers?

Doesn't matter. Once a population becomes statistical significance, then usage patterns between populations should be nearly identical.

If one customer on one ISP turns down their bitrate, then another customer on another ISP will do the same.

The only thing left is the network, which one is better.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by Bengie25:

The only thing left is the network, which one is better.

Who's network? Netflix, transit provider, ISP, or end user?
Bengie25
Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Bengie25

said by DocDrew:

Who's network? Netflix, transit provider, ISP, or end user?

The entire network as a whole.

Someone mentioned that Netflix only counts HD streams, so someone turning down the bitrate won't affect the numbers. I am not sure if that is true or not.

Either way, the ratio should be the same for any large population. Why would someone turn down their bitrate except because of streaming issues?

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by Bengie25:

Either way, the ratio should be the same for any large population. Why would someone turn down their bitrate except because of streaming issues?

They would turn down the bit rate because they're worried about hitting monthly bandwidth limits. They could have 20mbps download rates but a 100 GB monthly limit.
Bengie25
Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Bengie25

said by DocDrew:

They would turn down the bit rate because they're worried about hitting monthly bandwidth limits. They could have 20mbps download rates but a 100 GB monthly limit.

Simple fix. Net neutrality violation. Force ISPs to apply their TV and phone services to the same data caps. It's all data, so treat it the same.
Bengie25

Bengie25 to DocDrew

to DocDrew
I agree with you on something!