spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TheNerdGirl

join:2006-12-09

[ALL] My preferred tier is going up

In Kansas, I got a notice in my Cox bill stating my preferred tier will cost $62.95 starting next month. This is $6.00 more and it's due to the cost of doing business, but it should mean the cost of gouging customers that have no options for high speed Internet other than Cox. There is no other options for high speed Internet where I live besides DSL, and I already checked. I can only get 768, 1.5Mbps, or 3Mbps DSL and that's it. I can't get U-Verse because the area I live in is older and AT&T hasn't upgraded it to U-Verse, but other parts of Topeka can get U-Verse like the middle class areas.

bleomycin

join:2010-11-28
Newport Coast, CA

'Murica, fuck yeah! I feel your pain, i'm in the same position where I live.

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3
reply to TheNerdGirl

I assume they have DOCSIS 3.0 (D3) in your area? You might be able to go down a tier and invest in a D3 modem? Have you been a cox customer long? Maybe talk to their loyalty department and see if you can sign up for a service contract. If Cox is the only decent ISP in the area then at least get something back for sticking with them.

Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
Premium
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA
reply to TheNerdGirl

said by TheNerdGirl:

In Kansas, I got a notice in my Cox bill stating my preferred tier will cost $62.95 starting next month. This is $6.00 more and it's due to the cost of doing business, but it should mean the cost of gouging customers that have no options for high speed Internet other than Cox. There is no other options for high speed Internet where I live besides DSL, and I already checked. I can only get 768, 1.5Mbps, or 3Mbps DSL and that's it. I can't get U-Verse because the area I live in is older and AT&T hasn't upgraded it to U-Verse, but other parts of Topeka can get U-Verse like the middle class areas.

You should move to part of Kansas where Google Fiber is.

TheNerdGirl

1 edit
reply to Optimus2357

They do have DOCSIS 3.0 service in my area. I have been a Cox HSI customer since 2010. I can't sign a contract being that I won't be living in the current residence for long, I will be buying a house soon.

TheNerdGirl

1 edit
reply to 90115534

I wish I can move to where Google Fiber is, but I lack the money and I am still in
college full time. I can only hope Google Fiber does become available to my town, but it will be a long time before that happens. Well, I did signed the petition to bring Google Fiber to town, this was back in 2010 or so, but Google decided on Kansas City, KS and Kansas City, Missouri.

TheNerdGirl

reply to bleomycin

I wonder why they are rasing the prices for their high speed Internet service in a down economy with so many people struggling to make it. I just don't get it. I understand it was $2.00 or $3.00 more a month, but not $6.00 a month for "high speed Internet" that won't let me watch YouTube videos and webpages that load slow (these problems only happen in the evenings, it doesn't happen in the mornings, afternoons, or late at night).

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI

In a downed economy everyone suffers, including the businesses. I mean we could get into a very complicated debate on the middle class vs Big Corporate America, but in the end that wouldn't save you any money.

Do you have a D3 modem? If so, depending on your area and if they have locked down powerboost, downgrading a Tier and spending the money on a D3 modem may save you alot of money in the long run, and at not too little of a performance decrease. Upload would suffer, but most people use the download alot more. You might also want to check with your student affairs or relations and see if they have any partnership between Cox and KU. Or you might even be able to write of your internet cost from your taxes as a student expense? Just throwing some ideas.

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE
reply to Optimus2357

Preferred which they are on is the lowest tier Cox recommends a D3 modem.

Premium
Kenner, LA
reply to TheNerdGirl

That sucks about Google Fiber. I would do almost anything to get it.

I am surprised your preferred is going up to $62.95 ours is $55 right now but I doubt it will stay at that for long.

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI
reply to ajwees41

Doesn't matter what they recommend, just call up with the S/N, MAC and Model number and they will add it to your account. The wildcard is if it help enough to overcome the downgrade in service.

Premium
Kenner, LA

I never call anyone. I refuse to.

When our old cable modem went out we bought a new one and I didn't call at all.

TheNerdGirl

1 edit
reply to TheNerdGirl

Thanks, I understand businesses are suffering due to the economy and, to survive, they have to raise prices. I don't go to KU, I go to Washburn University which is a regional public university, and I'm checking with them on Monday to see if Washburn does have a partnership with Cox. If not, I'm going to follow Optimus2357's idea, and might be able to write off my Internet on the taxes. I do need it for researching things for college papers.

gringgo

join:2000-09-18
Las Vegas, NV
reply to TheNerdGirl

I have the same message in Las Vegas. I just had a $2 a month increase back in 2/2013. Why not include an increase in speed with the increase in price?! Come on, Cox! At least I am not paying for TV!

gringgo

join:2000-09-18
Las Vegas, NV

Since I am so close to the Premier tier, I might as well eat a little more money. Anyone know about the price increase on this tier? I am looking at their site and they are running a special for 3 months @ $46.99 for Premier but are showing a regular price of $67.99. I assume that this is going up just like the Preferred tier? Anyone?

TheNerdGirl

reply to TheNerdGirl

Gringo,

Right, I know. If I am paying $62.99 for the preferred tier, Cox should at least upgrade the download and upload speed to make the preferred tier worth it.

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

2 recommendations

Cox doesn't change speeds and prices at the same time they do one then in a few months the other.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to TheNerdGirl

It's to protect their PayTV revenues.

lvted

@cox.net

You hit that right on the head. NAIL AND HAMMER!

»finance.yahoo.com/news/another-1···688.html

Thanks cox, lose money in the TV department, put it on you're Internet department.

Very special

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to KrK

And to pay for fox sports 1

Big_Tom

@cox.net

I finally got my bill with the rate hike notice on it. I checked with a neighbor and their bill didn't have the notice and the Cox web site says nothing about the new rates. I called Cox to get a clarification. The new rates are for Cox customers that have no other service than internet. If you have other services with Cox then your internet rate isn't going up (yet).

They did offer to lock in the current rate with a contract for 2 years or I could downgrade to Essential service for the new rate of $48.99.

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL
kudos:1

Can you see if goggle fiber is available in your area? Being a monopoly sucks and, they will be so high that no one can afford their cable tv. Fox Sports, ESPN, Wifetime and Disney should all be in the sports pak. Not everyone wants ESPN 1&2. All the Disney owned and Fox owned channels are the biggest reason why costs have gone up.

and yet, overnight, you get fed infomericals, isn't that lovely?

Fox Sports 1&2 are really, really crappy, unless you love fake wrastling..

»fiber.google.com/cities/kck/#header=check

-Rob