spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

David Y

@rogers.com

[Cable] TSI Internet down in downtown Toronto?

I'm in the M4Y area code. Seems like my Internet has been down since this morning - anyone facing the same issue? I'm trying to call in for tech support but have been waiting forever... Power cycling the modem doesn't do it either.

KC_

join:2013-06-10
North York, ON
Did you try connecting directly to the modem just
to rule out the router being a culprit?
That's the first thing tech support is gonna ask
you to do after you get through on the phone..

David Y

@rogers.com
Yup. Plugged the router I got from Teksavvy directly to the PC, power cycled multiple times, etc - all the common support checklist tasks. Event log shows synchronization failures.

I guess I'm the only one having the issue in the area?

David Y

@rogers.com
Sorry I meant the *cable modem* directly to the PC.

bee98

join:2013-08-23
reply to David Y
I'm in downtown Toronto near Bathurst/Dundas.

Teksavvy cable is working. But, it is extremely slow. I have the 28 speed package but it seems like 5 speed. My service with them will be cancelled in a week or two.

Luckily, I switched to another company a week ago using DSL right now. Two internet connections. Although it is 10-15 speed...it feels a lot faster and still usable for movie streaming.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to David Y
What are the modem lights? Blinking and solid? If it keeps cycling, what do the lights do when the most number of different lights are lit?

There were DHCP problems near your area recently, but some reports suggest those are fixed. Anyway, it wouldn't have been effecting everybody.
--
electronicsguru.ca

Madwand

join:2002-12-03
Toronto, ON
reply to David Y
said by David Y :

I'm in the M4Y area code. Seems like my Internet has been down since this morning - anyone facing the same issue?

I am also in M4Y. I have no issues. I do see that this morning from 1-3AM approx the service was down for about 1:15 or so. Rogers was doing some work because I went from 4 bonded upload connections @ 2.560 Msym/sec to now 2 x 5.120 Msym/sec and 1 x 2.560 Msym/sec. There has been no change in upload speeds or reliability.

Perhaps they did something else that has affected your service.

KC_

North York, ON
reply to David Y
While connected directly to the modem - open your browser and enter 192.168.100.1 in the address bar, check the status of your connection in the Main tab, then copy and paste the stats off the Diagnostics screen (Thomson modem), that should give us more details here..

David Y

@rogers.com
reply to Teddy Boom
said by Teddy Boom:

What are the modem lights? Blinking and solid? If it keeps cycling, what do the lights do when the most number of different lights are lit?

There were DHCP problems near your area recently, but some reports suggest those are fixed. Anyway, it wouldn't have been effecting everybody.

The power light is solid while the DS and Link lights are blinking. All the others aren't lighted up.

I too am tempted to switch to Rogers or some other ISP - hoping they would price match a similar package. The lack of customer support is very troubling - I've been on hold on TSI's tech support line for the last hour already.

David Y

@rogers.com
reply to KC_
said by KC_:

While connected directly to the modem - open your browser and enter 192.168.100.1 in the address bar, check the status of your connection in the Main tab, then copy and paste the stats off the Diagnostics screen (Thomson modem), that should give us more details here..

Thanks KC.

Status Code: Not Synchronized
Software version: STAC.02.16
Software model: a81a
Boot loader: 2.3.0

Cable Signal Details

Forward Path: (partial service)
Channel 1-8. 0s for all columns - frequency, power, SNR, BER and None for modulation

Return Path:
Power is 5.0 dBmV on first row but everything else - channel, frequency is 0s.

David Y

@rogers.com
Well, finally managed to get through to support after an hours wait.... They figured that it's a signal issue so they're going to send a Roger's tech over (hopefully). Just hope that it'll be resolved soon as my home Internet is pretty critical for me as I work from my home office.

KC_

North York, ON
reply to David Y
Looks like RF issue (no signal on your line)..
What model modem is it? That software version (2.16) worries me..
Can anyone confirm that it is supported with the ATPIA?

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to David Y
You have no RF at all then. Possibly pulled in error by a Rogers tech working on a neighbours house. Trace your coaxial back to where it comes in the house. Then keep tracing it back to where it goes into the Rogers box....
--
electronicsguru.ca

KC_

North York, ON
reply to David Y
said by David Y :

Well, finally managed to get through to support after an hours wait.... They figured that it's a signal issue so they're going to send a Roger's tech over (hopefully). Just hope that it'll be resolved soon as my home Internet is pretty critical for me as I work from my home office.

Keep us posted.. I had a similar issue a while ago, it was a cut on the wire inside the rogers box (got pictures ),, took rogers 3 weeks to finally come out and fix the cut..

benjaminries

join:2013-09-05
Toronto, ON
reply to David Y
I'm also in M4Y and have had no service since Sept. 3rd. No upstream signal.

I think Rogers got sloppy with some Fall student installations and pulled/snipped my line. But from the sounds of this forum, Rogers may have told their techs to be "sloppy" with TSI connections. No tech coming until next Friday, grrr.

jacketfeng

join:2008-12-21
Toronto, ON
reply to David Y
im M4Y area. bloor poi

im glad, i still online.

best of luck

Ramin
Premium
join:2011-05-14

1 edit
reply to David Y
It happened to yours truly about a year ago when my perfectly working Internet connection suddenly dropped dead....dead...DEAD!

Waited 24 hrs BEFORE calling TekSavvy support ... READ 24 full hours not 1 min or 10 minutes ... if you know what I mean

TekSavvy confirmed signal issue. Requested Rogers to send a tech here ...

Long story short, the Rogers tech told me the cable was completely disconnected by another tech who was connecting some Rogers' new subscribers in my building a few days back!

I asked him if he could write down the issue and resolution for my records!

He said he would e-mail the report to Rogers to send it to TekSavvy ...

They never did!

David Y

@teksavvy.com
Oh my gosh. After one week of downtime, the tech resolved it and guess what...

It's the same exact cause. I was told that likely someone in the Condo had cable installed, tech was at the cable box and saw my connection wasn't 'labeled' Rogers and disconnected it as they thought it was a 'faulty connection'.

How REDICULOUS is that? I mean it could happen to anyone and anytime!!!

Madwand

join:2002-12-03
Toronto, ON
said by Anon80:

I was told that likely someone in the Condo had cable installed, tech was at the cable box and saw my connection wasn't 'labeled' Rogers and disconnected it as they thought it was a 'faulty connection'.

If my internet goes down, I usually ask the front desk if there is any technician on site, or within the past few hours. That usually tells me right away. About 7 years ago Bell pulled my naked DSL line and when I asked the front desk they advised me that they were still on-site and I had them replace it right away. Fixed in 20 minutes!!!

javierg9

join:2011-09-21
Toronto, ON
reply to David Y
said by Anon80:

tech was at the cable box and saw my connection wasn't 'labeled' Rogers and disconnected it as they thought it was a 'faulty connection'.

This is how they guarantee repeat business/visits ! (more money for Rogers or their cable contractors It's like the 4 workers on the street with a coffee in hand watching the one worker digging up the road, only to come back the next day to fill-it back up... hey! at least it keeps people employed.