NOT
Premium Member
join:2005-04-07
Hallandale, FL

nu2this

Premium Member

3 column theme that is interactive

Greetings!

I need/want to make a website for an auto parts company that has a page that has 3 columns that are "interactive" or "responsive"

Here is what I am wanting to do.
1st column is YEAR
~ you choose the year of the vehicle and this populates the second column with a list of MAKES of vehicles
2nd column is MAKE
~ you choose the make of the vehicle and this populates the third column with a list of MODELS of vehicles
3rd column is MODEL
~ you click to choose your model which leads to a new view of a new table showing categories of parts, which are then broken down into further until you get to the part that you want, which will show pricing, photo, description, etc...

As I only really know how to work with templates and not really write the code to make this happen, does anyone know of a template that I could use as a starting place?

Please Advise! any and all help is appreciated!

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro

Premium Member

This takes a combination of programming and databse knowledge.
Based on your skills self-evaluation this would be too big of a task. Sorry, no offense.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium Member
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC

DC DSL to nu2this

Premium Member

to nu2this
This is pretty easy to do with Visual Studio Express, ASP.NET and SQL Server (all free). I would think that LAMP can do it just as easily.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28

justin

Mod

OP said they only want to work with templates, and not write code.

To do it right needs javascript and server side code, to do it badly needs server side code.

DC DSL
Premium Member
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

DC DSL

Premium Member

Last time I looked, javascript was code. You can javascript, ajax, json, and server-side yourself to kingdom come in .NET these days. Most of the .NET data controls are fully functional with basic templating and a master page out of the box. Add your window dressing and you're in business. If you need business rules, however, no template does that for you without some degree of coding.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28

justin

Mod

as I understand the OP, they do not want to be involved in code, modifying, writing, or whatever. Sever-side, client-side, doesn't matter. They were looking for a template solution. There isn't one.

PToN
Premium Member
join:2001-10-04
Houston, TX

PToN to nu2this

Premium Member

to nu2this
I am sure that the popular CMS out there have modules for car parts finder...

nu2this
NOT
Premium Member
join:2005-04-07
Hallandale, FL

nu2this

Premium Member

Sorry for any confusion... To explain further... I am willing to enter information and willing to code, but as my skills are below all of you and better then most average people, i was wanting to use a template if possible. I am able to modify what already exists, but not able to create from scratch.

DC DSL
Premium Member
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

DC DSL

Premium Member

If you're targeting IIS, download Visual Studio Express for Web and SQL Server Express from Microsoft. They're free. You can have something that does the basics in short order. www.asp.net is the go-to resource for help in that realm. The LAMP people should be able to point you to tools for the Apache world.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to nu2this

MVM

to nu2this
What you are looking to do is called a chained ajax select. There are a variety of tutorials out there (e.g here) that can help you get started. If your website uses a particular technology, say PHP vs .Net, then adding your requirements to your search query will help narrow down the list.
cdru

cdru to PToN

MVM

to PToN
said by PToN:

I am sure that the popular CMS out there have modules for car parts finder...

I would actually be looking less at a CMS and more at a turn key or at least ecommerce oriented solution. How well a site works can make or break how successful it is for customers to use.