uniqs

JJ Johnson
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Fort Collins, CO

JJ Johnson

Premium Member

Group column - Can it be moved?

It's not especially helpful, actually fairly worthless, in many forums, but in the 'For Sale' forum, moving the ad classifications like 'WTB' and 'FS' out to the right make using the forum difficult. I suppose a smart user would just place these in the thread title itself and skip the grouping altogether, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

Is there any way that a forum admin can configure an individual forum to move this Group column to the left of the Topic column? If not, can you make it so?

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

The group (aka filter, aka category) is, in fact, in the thread title (subject) already--always has been, at the beginning of it (in the square brackets); you can see this when you open the topic. With the site redesign it simply displays in the new Group column instead. I don't really see one way being any better or worse than the other, regardless of the forum itself. Either way, if you want to focus on one particular group, then simply click on the filter at the top of the topic list. Personally, I make the group name stand out more so it's easier to see (using CSS), but that's just me; of course, I was doing this before the redesign, too.

JJ Johnson
Premium Member
Fort Collins, CO

JJ Johnson

Premium Member

said by GlennLouEarl:

The group (aka filter, aka category) is, in fact, in the thread title (subject) already--always has been, at the beginning of it (in the square brackets); you can see this when you open the topic.

What good does that do? I'm obviously talking about browsing the thread list.

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

My point...
said by JJ Johnson:

I suppose a smart user would just place these in the thread title itself ... but that doesn't seem to be happening.

This is already happening--"smart" or otherwise. (The change to displaying the "group" in its own column was made intentionally to disassociate it somewhat from the subject line. Sorry, don't ask me why--I don't know [don't care, all the same to me].)

JJ Johnson
Premium Member
Fort Collins, CO

JJ Johnson

Premium Member

Not following your logic. At all.

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

Just quoting you and your "smart suggestion". Don't know any other ways to tell you that what you suggest is already how it works and really has nothing to do with how the site chooses to display the value.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28

justin to JJ Johnson

Mod

to JJ Johnson
If you are fascinated with just one group of the forsale forum, for example "FS", just use the link.
»/forum ··· ilter=FS

JJ Johnson
Premium Member
Fort Collins, CO

JJ Johnson

Premium Member

"Fascinated"??

That's not exactly the way I want to browse a forum. For one, I want to view all posts to the forums. More importantly, though, is that not all threads ever get a group designation to begin with.

I'm simply suggesting that the way it's displayed is totally ass backwards. To the point where it's become completely useless.
JJ Johnson

JJ Johnson to GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

to GlennLouEarl
said by GlennLouEarl:

Don't know any other ways to tell you that what you suggest is already how it works and really has nothing to do with how the site chooses to display the value.

It is not how it "already" works. When browsing forums

WTB . Video card

is not the same as reading

Video card................................................................................................WTB

and

Rant . I love Comcast!

is not the same as

I love Comcast!.......................................................................................Rant

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

Your "smart suggestion":

Group name--in subject, in square brackets

As I said, the display of the value in the topic list is not related the group name being in the subject line for the topic--it already is there. (Are you still unaware that you asked for two things and that the one does not enable the other?)

JJ Johnson
Premium Member
Fort Collins, CO

JJ Johnson

Premium Member

Holy ****.

Do you HONESTLY not understand the point of this entire thread? Go back and reread the original post. Read it several times if you still don't get it.