All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Bird222

join:2003-08-25

Upgraded to 2wire modem all webpages redirect to ATT

I have Bellsouth Fastaccess dsl. I was using a Westell 6100 modem. I bought a 2wire 2701 modem to have a spare. I want to set it up in 'bridge mode'. I had it working for a couple of days, but then I switched out my router. Now every webpage that I try to visit gets redirected to some AT&T 'password reset' page. No matter how many modem resets and setups I do I keep getting this page. I also keep getting a WAN ip address starting with '99'. I even tried to go through this password/registration page but of course it says I don't know the right info. Please don't tell me I am going to have to call AT&T (j/k don't want to but I will ). Is there someway to get around this? Like I said, I did once somehow. Is there some way in the modem settings to stop getting redirected if I need to switch out my main router? TIA

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1
Did you put the PPoe acount info into the router and set it to negotiate the connection. Positive it is correct?
Doesn't matter if that info is in the modem if it is bridged.
--

Bird222

join:2003-08-25
said by Hayward:

Did you put the PPoe acount info into the router and set it to negotiate the connection. Positive it is correct?
Doesn't matter if that info is in the modem if it is bridged.

Yes, I did. Doing some more research it looks like there is some initial setup I have to do by using 'attreg@att.net'/'attreg' as the username and password. I may be wrong here.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by Bird222:

Doing some more research it looks like there is some initial setup I have to do by using 'attreg@att.net'/'attreg' as the username and password. I may be wrong here.

I think you are right about being wrong. I encountered the same thing when I tried tp bridge my SpeedStream 4100 a couple of years back. What I failed to do was to stop the PPPoE session completely. You probably will have to first change to "Connect on demand", then disconnect from the device GUI; you want the PPPoE session stopped cleanly before making the hardware changes. If the DSLAM thinks the session is still active during the hardware swap, it seems to balk at a new connection attempt.

If you go the 'attreg@att.net/attreg' route, you will probably lose your existing email, and encounter billing errors.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Dennis
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL
kudos:5
reply to Bird222
You are simply being thrown into the walled garden for having bad PPPoE credentials. Sounds like you just need a password reset, which probably will require a phone call if you don't know your information.
--
My Blog. Because I desperately need the acknowledgement of others.

The Judd Family site!

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL
reply to NormanS
Well funny thing, today just happened to swap out my out Netgear for a new D-Link router in bridged mode..
Did not terminate session. just unplugged and set up the Dlink. Inputted the PPoE info and off and runningg. It even allowed set up by WiFi which older routers didn't used to
--

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
The thing is, I did not swap out a router. I started with the SS4100 in "PPP is on the modem" mode and the router, a D-Link D-655, set to "Dynamic IP (DHCP)" mode. Based on information that, in NAT mode, the SS4100 might not be passing Protocol 41, needed for IPv6 tunneling, I decided to bridge the SS4100. I just did the changes from the respective device GUIs, without regard for the state of the PPPoE session; and got the walled garden with the suggestion to reset the password.

I suspect that a PPPoE session which isn't fully stopped confuses the PPP server?
--
Norman

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL

1 edit
Isuppose that could be. Never used the 2 Wires I have one of the old Westels and it been bridged so long don't remember any issues if there were any but don't think there were.
I would think bridging it though would kill any existing PPPoE session. On the Westell the INTERNET light is out (indicating PPPoE connection) and inactive when bridged.

Interesting thing though, I gave the new router the same SSID and PW, yet all my devices saw it as different and had to re-log them all in. I guess maybe the MAC address is tracked too for auto logins
--

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by Hayward:

Never used the 2 Wires ...

SS4100 isn't 2Wire, but Siemens (nee Efficient). Going from PPPoE to bridge caused the login server to barf when the next log in was from a different device (the router).
--
Norman

breese
Premium
join:2000-05-10
Arlington Heights, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T DSL Service
·AT&T Midwest
reply to Bird222
I have had my modem setup in bridged mode for a very long time.
Whenever I have had an issue, the Modem Password needs to be set.
To find what yours is, it is located at the bottom of your Profile - User Information page.

Click on Profile and then Click on Update My Profile
It will be at the bottom

There is also a help button to a link
»esupport.att.com/esupport/articl ··· ngLmFROl

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
I have never had an issue with the modem password; that only applies to the modem configuration pages, anyway. My issue was with the PPPoE password.
--
Norman

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL
ATT has changed the PW's from time to time. They are pushed to the modems, but they can't do that to routers so all of a sudden you have no connection.

So have you had to reset the PW? ATT may have done that without your knowing, and when you put in the PW you had had, no longer worked.
--

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by Hayward:

So have you had to reset the PW? ATT may have done that without your knowing, and when you put in the PW you had had, no longer worked.

I have reset the DSL password; but that was voluntary, and primarily so I could understand the process when working on a relative's connection in the wake of an MSNIA account hijack. She was using the same PW on the DSL as on the compromised account, so I thought a change would be prudent.

My walled garden experience was subsequent to the PW change. I did not have to reset the PW during the walled garden experience.
--
Norman