uniqs
share rss forum feed

DA

join:2002-04-13
Greenville, SC
reply to 88615298

Re: [CATV] All-digital conversion coming to the Carolinas

said by 88615298:

It does free space. An analog channel takes up 6 MHz. You can fit at least 2 HD channels and up to 10 SD digital channels in that same space. Most cable systems don't even have 800 MHz available. If you had say 70 analog channels that 420 MHz. how do you have dozens of HD channels and PPV and OnDemand and high speed internet with 400 MHz left? Some systems have less than that.

Also its' easier for maintenance. Should reduce service calls. Also will help diagnose issues faster so they can be fixed faster. Also reduces theft. If you neighbors steal cable I hope you know you're paying for that.

Also everyone already has a box. If one is the type of person that doesn't have a box because they can't afford the $5 maybe Tv shouldn't be a priority. Also many people that just want basic tv could use a antenna anyway. Not all I know, so don't bring that up. The fact is the number of people actually "affected" by this is minimal.

In my experience there are a lot of people who use cable TV without a box. I have two TV's in my home without cable boxes. My mother has two of her TV's in her home without a box, my neighbor only has one TV out of 3 with a box etc...

I do not dispute that all digital saves spectrum for Charter and it benefits them but it will be painful for many people who are happy with Analog cable on secondary TV's.

For me I now need to determine if it is cheaper to buy a new TiVo so I can do multi-room with that versus paying for a box..

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
said by DA:

In my experience there are a lot of people who use cable TV without a box.

I'm not using antidotal evidence I'm using Charter's actual numbers. Less than 5% do not use some kind of digital box.

baja7475

join:2009-06-16
Atascadero, CA
kudos:1
reply to DA
DA Said "For me I now need to determine if it is cheaper to buy a new TiVo so I can do multi-room with that versus paying for a box.."

You can get a free box for at least a year depending where you live.

DA

Greenville, SC
reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by DA:

I'm not using antidotal evidence I'm using Charter's actual numbers. Less than 5% do not use some kind of digital box.

The numbers I saw quoted were the number of people who subscribe solely to analog service which is understandably low. I am not sure if Charter has any way of counting people who like me have 2 TV's with digital connections and the rest using just analog. In every example I gave those individuals subscribe to digital service but also use analog service so to Charter would not know that they are analog customers.

bozzy

join:2009-08-25
Simpsonville, SC
said by DA:

said by 88615298:

said by DA:

The numbers I saw quoted were the number of people who subscribe solely to analog service which is understandably low. I am not sure if Charter has any way of counting people who like me have 2 TV's with digital connections and the rest using just analog. In every example I gave those individuals subscribe to digital service but also use analog service so to Charter would not know that they are analog customers.

This is not the first market Charter has went all-digital with (I know Fort Worth did earlier). So clearly they know how it will work out. At the end of the day, all of the cable companies are going all-digital in the next year or two.

DA

Greenville, SC
said by bozzy:

This is not the first market Charter has went all-digital with (I know Fort Worth did earlier). So clearly they know how it will work out. At the end of the day, all of the cable companies are going all-digital in the next year or two.

Correct and in the end I am not bothered by it, I just hate that it will cost me a bit more to either buy a TiVo or rent a box from them. It would be less of a hassle if Cable Cards had taken off but that is a different subject.

Premium
West Tenness

1 recommendation

reply to bozzy
said by bozzy:

What's ironic is that satellite has required a box for every TV for years. U-Verse and FiOS require one. Cable does it and people think they are the devil.

DA

Greenville, SC

said by 88615298:

What's ironic is that satellite has required a box for every TV for years. U-Verse and FiOS require one. Cable does it and people think they are the devil.

I just read through this thread again and the entire thing seemed civil with nobody accusing Charter of being anything close to the Devil (Not even a minor imp!).

We can all disagree about something with reasonable terms and not demonize one side.

NorCal John

join:2006-02-18
Crescent City, CA
I live in Crescent City, CA and have just one digital TV. I also have a Mac with the Elgato EyeTV setup. With this I can record unscrambled TV ovv the cable. I can also just use my Mac to stream video from the net.

Why do I want something which makes watching and recording TV more difficult and cumbersome. There's not much I even watch on PBS.

When I get to it, I'll try an antennae -- night work and easily pay for itself. Especially if I also must pay a box rental.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to DA
said by DA:

said by 88615298:

I just read through this thread again and the entire thing seemed civil with nobody accusing Charter of being anything close to the Devil (Not even a minor imp!).

We can all disagree about something with reasonable terms and not demonize one side.

I wasn't referring to this thread in general but when Comcast became the first major cable company to go all digital and when Charter announced it was going to do so too there were plenty of people that complained about how greedy they were and how "unfair" that was.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to NorCal John
said by NorCal John:

Why do I want something which makes watching and recording TV more difficult and cumbersome. There's not much I even watch on PBS.

Why should Charter not upgrade it's system just to satisfy people that don't want a box?

mworks

join:2006-06-13
Faison, NC

said by 88615298:

Why should Charter not upgrade it's system just to satisfy people that don't want a box?

They are not doing it to satisfy anyone but the company itself. Show me one person without a box now that is saying "I would really like a box added to my tv, even if it cost me more" .They have paying customers right now, why not squeeze them some more, it isn't like someone else can provide the same service , it is a monopoly in most places.

This is the industry that once charged PER ROOM and was the real reason they required a box in the past. They fought against cable tuners in tv for years because of fear of lost revenue from the rental fees . The only acceptable method that would be fair to all consumers is free box for life.

Premium
West Tenness

1 recommendation

said by mworks:

They are not doing it to satisfy anyone but the company itself.

and...............?

Show me one person without a box now that is saying "I would really like a box added to my tv, even if it cost me more"

And this has what to do with what? The MAJORITY of customers( also the customers that actually give WAY more money to Charter ever month ) are demanding more HD more OnDemand more PPV. That take bandwidth. Analog takes up bandwidth. if I ran a company I would listen to what the majority and highest spending customers wanted.

This is the industry that once charged PER ROOM and was the real reason they required a box in the past.

Satellite and telco TV all require a box for each TV. So why is cable evil for doing the same thing?

NorCal John

join:2006-02-18
Crescent City, CA
reply to 88615298
Never said that Charter should NOT upgrade. My comment is that if their service becomes more expensive and less convenient then I don't want such an upgrade. I'm going to try an OTA antennae and if that is satisfactory to me, I'll cancel cable TV.

Charter makes its decisions on what is best for Charter and I'll decide on what is best for me. It is their business and I decide whether or not to buy from them.