BigSensFan
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Belle River, ON

BigSensFan

Premium Member

Family living as if it was 1986 for one year

»www.ctvnews.ca/video?cli ··· ageNum=1

They packed up all their tech in April in the quest to live as if it was 1986 (no internet, no smart phones, no DVD's, etc)

Funny thing is when they unpack their tech alot of it will be outdated as if it was 1986

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS

Premium Member

I'd be somewhat impressed if they tried to live as if it was 1886.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to BigSensFan

Premium Member

to BigSensFan
I'd have withdrawals if I had no access to tech.

BigSensFan
Premium Member
Belle River, ON

1 recommendation

BigSensFan to EUS

Premium Member

to EUS
that is called Amish

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to BigSensFan

Premium Member

to BigSensFan
said by BigSensFan:

They packed up all their tech in April in the quest to live as if it was 1986 (no internet, no smart phones, no DVD's, etc)

Well at least there's still computers. I had an Atari 800 XL in 1986 and an active subscription to Compute! magazine...

BigSensFan
Premium Member
Belle River, ON

BigSensFan

Premium Member

said by urbanriot:

said by BigSensFan:

Well at least there's still computers. I had an Atari 800 XL in 1986 and an active subscription to Compute! magazine...

300 baud modem to get into your local BBS

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to BigSensFan

Premium Member

to BigSensFan
Interesting. I read this in The Record yesterday. I like the idea for the kids. It will get them doing things that kids today don't understand. (though my son can easily disconnect himself, not the same with my daughter)

Is it me, or does that dude seem to look a lot older than 26? (in the paper article, they chose that 1986 date as it was both the year of their birth)
J E F F4

J E F F4 to BigSensFan

Premium Member

to BigSensFan
They could do something like War Games...

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

Premium Member

to BigSensFan
Should have had 9600 or even 14.4 by then,
elwoodblues

elwoodblues to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
Castle wolfenstien on my Apple ][+

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

Does this dude not realize they had laser discs and compact discs back in 1986? So why is he going to 1983 technology? Not even sure if you could still buy floor TV's back in 1986. And why rotary phones? That's like 1970's technology. I remember when touch tone become the norm around here, 1976. That's 10 years before he was born? Perhaps his parents were Ludites?

I only ask because it seems that his experiment is really all pre-1986. We had an answering machine in 1986.

Anyway...as I said, I like his experiment, but he should stick to 1986 technology, so get a CD player and toss the cassette. Get a touch tone phone. And pick up a Commodore 64 and a Nintendo. If we're doing a 1986, at least make it a little more legit.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

1 recommendation

EUS to BigSensFan

Premium Member

to BigSensFan
I hope they stocked up on shoulder pads, and perm kits.

BigSensFan
Premium Member
Belle River, ON

BigSensFan to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

You're right .. 9600 Baud in 1986.. BLAZING speed

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USRobotics

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to BigSensFan

Premium Member

to BigSensFan
said by BigSensFan:

300 baud modem to get into your local BBS

Actually Atari had its own version of the internet back then, a huge BBS where you could communicate and share code on 300 baud and that I believe was in the early 80's. Delphi was pretty big around then too.

I think CompuServe was huge back in 1985 too...

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to BigSensFan

Premium Member

to BigSensFan
Where is that Dude guy? he would love to do this experiment, his love, no! his obsession for the 80's is legendary.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

Premium Member

to BigSensFan
said by BigSensFan:

said by elwoodblues:

It was trust me... I have the phone bill to prove it (long distance)

BigSensFan
Premium Member
Belle River, ON

BigSensFan

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

said by BigSensFan:

said by elwoodblues:

It was trust me... I have the phone bill to prove it (long distance)

Yep been there a few times myself back in the 'bad old days' of computer communications
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to BigSensFan

to BigSensFan
This should be mandatory for every family in Canada with kids.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to BigSensFan

MVM

to BigSensFan
The problem is that many of the services around in 1986 (BBS or CompuServe or whatever) isn't around anymore. As such, I think it would be permissible to connect to the Internet as a replacement so long as the technology used on the consumer side was all 1986 technology.

Of course, this means you're limited to v.32 (9600), because V.32bis (14.4) was only standardized in 1991. But that should still work with a modern dialup Internet provider. Still, there are lots of projects out there that can get 80s-era equipment usefully using the Internet. I'm going to suggest that modern software on the 80s-era hardware is OK as it's a workaround for 80s services that don't exist.

The NES game selection by the end of 1986 would be somewhat limited. You'd get Zelda and Dragon Warrior, for example, but not Final Fantasy.

BigSensFan
Premium Member
Belle River, ON

BigSensFan

Premium Member

you would also be stuck with a basic web browser with no add ons (Was Flash even developed back then)

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Came out in 96 as Macromedia Flash. Netscape and Mosaic (which eventually became IE) didn't launch till the late 90's

So you had Gopher.

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly

i heard him call into a radio talk show, any one have a picture of the guy with a mullet? no not a digital picture attachment cus thats not allowed, more like anyone got a poloroid of him? i wanna see his kentucky waterfall mullet

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to BigSensFan

MVM

to BigSensFan
There were no web browsers back then, but since I'm saying you can use the internet and a browser that would run on 1986 hardware to compensate for 1986 services that no longer exist (like CompuServe), it'd be allowable under my imaginary rules :P

Keep in mind that the sort of web browser you'll get running on a machine from the mid 80s isn't going to be very advanced. You'd be unfortunately just three months too early to use a Mac SE, so you'd be stuck with a Mac Plus (if you want to get as modern as possible with what was available in 1986). Still, the Mac Plus supported up to 4MB of RAM and could run Mac OS 7.5.5, although it would probably run terribly slow. A 1986 software limit puts you on System 3.2...

There are web browsers available for any platform you can imagine. Commodore 64? Yep. Apple II? Sure. IBM PC? Of course. But they will be very limited. Limit image support (if at all), for example.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to BigSensFan

Premium Member

to BigSensFan
I used a Compaq Deskpro as my PC in 1986 running some version of DOS (3.1?) and Crosstalk VI as a terminal program. The modem was a genuine Hayes Smartmodem 1200. I was never on Compuserve or Datapac or anything like that, just a few local BBS's run by friends of mine.

Touch tone phones were definitely around as we're cordless phones. Cellular phone service was just starting up in our area and the cutting edge device was a car-mounted phone at a cost of around 2 grand. Our main tv was a $1200 28" RCA my family had just picked up to replace an older 19". Also got my first Sony Walkman.

If we wanted news we either watched the tv, listened to the radio or read the newspaper.

Ah the good old days!

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

Hah I remember using Datapac thru Calgary Vax on an IBM clone with just black screen monochrome displaying lime text and a telephone coupler to dial in a ridiculously long number to get connected. I think I paid like $99 for a block of 500MB worth of data, and just had to top that up once it was depleted, we ordered and paid for those through the mail via money order heh. I was living in Nova Scotia in those days.

Xstar_Lumini
join:2008-12-14
CANADA

Xstar_Lumini to urbanriot

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

I predate you.... In 1982 I was typing in Apple computers in my science class and programming a robot using coordinates with the same PC. Awww I remember all those green characters and the 5.2 floppy disks.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc to BigSensFan

to BigSensFan
A British family had already done this for a BBC documentary, going through the 70s, 80s and 90s at the rate of a year per day.

Fun stuff! But there was a lot of crap in those days!

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· uXN9yaS4

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· iPMcxbdw

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· DVvx-dQs
Sukunai
Premium Member
join:2008-05-07

Sukunai to BigSensFan

Premium Member

to BigSensFan
Want to impress me, go a single month with NO electricity in your home of any sort other than heat, light, fridge and stove and a rotary phone. Nothing at all other than those that use any form of electricity portable or otherwise.

Books for instance. Theatres if you want to watch a film. Live entertainment if you want music. Manual typewriters (I remember using one).

Playing outside, bicycles and trucks and dolls and climbing trees and playing in fields and streams. Fresh air and exercise.

1986 is not the key, it is the exclusion of doodads and devices and electronics of any sort that makes the difference.

I don't require a person to forsake modern lighting and heating, and I don't think there is a reason for avoiding using a car. But we likely have too many doodads in our day. I know I sure do.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc

said by Sukunai:

Manual typewriters (I remember using one).

I have one! Unfortunately, I can't get the mouse to work.

And yet, the typewriter boots up normally.

Can anyone help me here?

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

The NES game selection by the end of 1986 would be somewhat limited. You'd get Zelda and Dragon Warrior, for example, but not Final Fantasy.

Break out the Atari!!! You'd have a plethora of games available, such as Dolphin, Combat, Baseball, River Raid, and my personal favourite, Megamania!!

You could choose colour or B&W....my first tv, I feel spoiled as an only child, but it was my parents old hand me down 19" RCA black n white....my parents had upgraded to a I believe 19 or 20" colour TV...this was in 1986 in fact lol, I used to try and stay awake and watch Johnny Carson late at night with the volume low, I think I only ever got to watch it once, otherwise, used to play Atari ....had the TV until I think 1990...my parents upgraded to a beautiful 27" Toshiba with 3 Video inputs, and S-Video!!...I think it set them back more than $1200 dollars at the time...TV was good until about 2005 when I had it when one day....it'd turn on, but there was no picture...and no sound....so it went to the scrap heap unfortunately...but it was a great tv.

In terms of 1980s tech, you'd be stuck I believe in the 386 days?....I don't believe 486's were commercially available....or practical for that matter...I think that's why he's sticking with cassettes, while CDs were available in 1986....none of my friends had CDs or a CD player until the 90s at the earliest as I recall, we all had walkmans because CD players were about $800 bucks...