Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to ropeguru

Re: [Business] Any updates on the IPv6 business trials?

I just love how the original question never gets answered and the completely off topic discussion just keeps going...

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:80
said by ropeguru:

I just love how the original question never gets answered and the completely off topic discussion just keeps going...

:) the trial is going good it is coming along not really much to say. Right now it is just like the Res trial but with /56..
--
Comcaster.. Network Engineer with NETO

magamiako

join:2006-01-14
Halethorpe, MD
Hey NetDog,

Are the business trials available in Severn, MD? I've been doing IPv6 at the local hackerspace there using an HE Tunnel on a Juniper SSG5 with a /48. If /56 is available from Comcast, I'd love to set it up and get native v6 all the way through.

A hackerspace seems like a great place to trial IPv6 :P

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:80
said by magamiako:

Hey NetDog,

Are the business trials available in Severn, MD? If /56 is available from Comcast, I'd love to set it up and get native v6 all the way through.

Nope not yet.. and yep business will receive a /56...
--
Comcaster.. Network Engineer with NETO

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
well a /56 is nice, I'd rather a /48 but no biggy (partly because that'd give a full : to : area for VLSMing)
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

1 edit
said by DarkLogix:

well a /56 is nice, I'd rather a /48 but no biggy (partly because that'd give a full : to : area for VLSMing)

So ISPs are being too liberal with address space but then you want a /48 for a (small / medium) size business connection.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
said by 34764170:

said by DarkLogix:

So ISPs are being too liberal with address space but then you want a /48 for a (small / medium) size business connection.

If they're going to be liberal I'd like to take advantage.

HE.net does /48's
--
semper idem

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

2 edits
said by DarkLogix:

If they're going to be liberal I'd like to take advantage.

HE.net does /48's

If anything I think having /48's as an opt-in feature could be beneficial for some larger businesses though I think more often those businesses would be more inclined to be utilizing Metro-E services.

I know HE does. I have been using their tunnels for over a decade.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
My reasoning is 16bits to play with gives the user (IE the business) more capability to make that 16bits usefull

I know where I worked before did a 10.x.x.x/16 range assigned to each site and then used the 3rd octet for vlan numbering

so in that case they were using 16bits to manage their range and the last part for hosts
--
semper idem